My E46 in the USA

Re: My E46 in the USA

Agreed absolutely ................

inferno nexus;1065519 said:
Heated seats may not be relevant in Sg, but they're a blessing when it's freezing outside...
QVoU8OV.jpg

casper77;1065496 said:
Totoseow... can we have such session in ur ws????? (run......)

Just saw the thread on the (re-)opening of his workshop. Free food, freebies and a lucky draw are definitely a good way to attract people to come to the event.

inferno nexus;1065082 said:
Thanks. In other related news, when new workshops and service centers open they sometimes have an open house to raise awareness. Here are some pics I took at an open house. Not photoshoot-quality pics, but should be interesting enough:

swboFCq.jpg

9wm8VQX.jpg

MzSvraT.jpg

DsjBeK7.jpg

a8diyPy.jpg

Wow, The 5 and 6 series look so much better without front number plates. Wish I didn't have to have front plates on my car in S'pore!

Welch;1065589 said:
Wow, The 5 and 6 series look so much better without front number plates. Wish I didn't have to have front plates on my car in S'pore!

I agree. It's just easier for the traffic police and red light cameras to identify your cars :OTpolis:

Anyway this is how the current Georgia license plate looks like. A little too colorful but then less boring than in Sg.
P5eKciX.jpg

Red_Bean_Bun;1066129 said:
Can you take the radiator out in 20 minutes ?

:D

You gonna do 50/50 for the coolant ?

Haha probably not. I havent done it before so I'll go slow and carefully. Gotta remove the fan, hoses and ET so it will take some time to reach the radiator.
I'll do 50/50 for the coolant. I have the distilled water in the kitchen ready to go.

inferno nexus;1066132 said:
Haha probably not. I havent done it before so I'll go slow and carefully. Gotta remove the fan, hoses and ET so it will take some time to reach the radiator.
I'll do 50/50 for the coolant. I have the distilled water in the kitchen ready to go.

Since the climate is more extreme - Try 60/40 mix ? Assuming you are using EG.

View attachment 58981
View attachment 58982

hxCWEng.jpg

50/50 is good for -37C to 130C and the coldest I ever seen here is -15C, so that's good enough for me. But thanks!

Edit: tried attaching images using my mobile phone but failed. Tried to unattach them from my PC, failed. Hence the rotated pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

That boiling point is the highest I have ever seen in that pic ..... Typically it should be 107C for 50/50 for g48 coolants. Freezing point seems a tad off as well.

Agree that in most of the manuals 50/50 is recommended for avoiding heat transfer losses. I was more into raising a few celsius for the BP (60/40) since the engine would operate at close to 107c over the heat transfer as mentioned in the TIS........

Red_Bean_Bun;1066138 said:
That boiling point is the highest I have ever seen in that pic ..... Typically it should be 107C for 50/50 for g48 coolants. Freezing point seems a tad off as well.

Agree that in most of the manuals 50/50 is recommended for avoiding heat transfer losses. I was more into raising a few celsius for the BP (60/40) since the engine would operate at close to 107c over the heat transfer as mentioned in the TIS........

Well the BMW coolant has diethylene glycol and other additives that may change the BP/MP of the coolant mixture, and the charts your showed seem to refer to pure EG/PG solutions and a generic antifreeze mixture, not specifically the BMW antifreeze. Oil and coolant are probably two topics that can carry the longest debates, but since I dont have the engineering knowledge I cant comment further.

Either way, I've been monitoring engine temperatures with my hidden OBC, and they average 95-98C. I've never seen triple digits so I should be safe for now....

Here's something you don't see in Sg. It snowed today and schools and offices were closed because there are no snow ploughs to clear the roads, so a normally 20min ride home took me 2 hours today because of the jam. I had some difficulty going up some icy slopes, but thankfully got home without a scratch.
tZ3kgZI.jpg

0P5hmHi.jpg

Red_Bean_Bun;1067256 said:
Does the e46 have remote start ?

Nope, it doesnt snow here often enough for me to justify installing it. Saving my money for maintenance first.
Also they dont salt the roads here, so I dont wanna drive it out in the snow.

Burn ..... Baby ..... Burn ..........

So what happened ?

inferno nexus;1067461 said:

Red_Bean_Bun;1067494 said:
Burn ..... Baby ..... Burn ..........

So what happened ?

He smelled something weird in the cabin, got out to check the engine and saw a small fire somewhere. Went to get some snow to put out the fire but it was too late. That car has a S54 motor with a blower, so he thinks it might be the blower or something.

A long time ago I used to have a fire extinguisher in the ride ..... If he had one he might have saved the ride but to make sure it's serviced takes a bit of effort .....

inferno nexus;1067496 said:
He smelled something weird in the cabin, got out to check the engine and saw a small fire somewhere. Went to get some snow to put out the fire but it was too late. That car has a S54 motor with a blower, so he thinks it might be the blower or something.

The shop that I usually bring my car to has moved to a bigger spot, and they had a grand re-opening inviting all the german cars to take a look.

E36 track car with a stripped-out interior. Has no front windows, so can't be driven in the rain:
O6cDFMX.jpg

ewhUjo7.jpg

THGqm4P.jpg

NHQsKWY.jpg

7E0hyrP.jpg

BUL0JH6.jpg

yheAheK.jpg

nzMXyHP.jpg

7nBKGTq.jpg

Some japanese imports turned up to take a look too:
qTtmabj.jpg

This M3 vert has an air-suspension: