My feedback on Supersprint muffler (318 valve)

cybertaz

Hi all,

this is my first posting altho' it's not my first time here. Just to share my experience with the SS muffler on my 318 valvetronic.

After weeks of reading up related posts and a few calls to FK and JC, I took the plunge on the SS from JC. Asthetics wise, it's awesome. The twin 80mm tips tapered nicely along the bodykit line beautifully. The embossment of the SS brand on the tips adds to its street credibility. While it looks very sporty from the rear, the shiny stainless steel box and the come-and-get-me twinpipes are screaming for TP's attention. Of course, it's LTA approved but nonetheless, I've to prepare myself to be pulled over.

Sadly, the greeting that I get from the SS when I ignite the car everytime has a "cheapo exhaust" sound. It sounds like a choked fart, with a few occasional "coughing" and rapidly setlle into a low hum. 330i and M3 sound much better with their stock exhaust when they ignite their cars.(I was drooling at my colleagues' 330 and M3 exhaust sounds when they start their cars. Looks like I got to park further away from them now.)

The design of the muffler is quite good it project much of the noise backwards and not reasonating in the cabin, just like a Tubi. I can hear that the bassy note is outside the car, not at my backseats but I must add that the humming will creep into the cabin when you are at 30-50% throttle and your autobox is "rubberband-ing". ie. In D mode and under 3.5k rpm, your rpm acts like a CVT where it doesnt move but the car is accelerating. During this time, the humming will drown out any quality audio from your ICE. From 3.5k rpm to redline, the engine noise actually drown the SS, hence it sounds like stock exhaust in this range.

As for power gain, my butt didnt feel any gain at all at any rpm but psychologically, I feel the low end loss as what many would feel. Maybe it's true that low end will lose a little torque but the mind factor plays a part too. I'm trying to be as objective as possible. When I move off normally from a standstill, I can hear the SS started to growl like any sporty exhaust. However, I would associate such sporty growl with a visual effect of fast acceleration but my car accelerates as per normal. As expectations fall short (due to the SS's snarl), the initial feel is, "oh, loss of low end ... ". I have not done any before-and-after scientific tests but my gut feel is, no significant gain in power, not even the high end. It climbs as slowly as before! : )

Conclusion : like some of you has said, it's a cosmetic mod. SS has a sporty snarl but a toothless one. In fact, it puts me in a potentially humiliating situation where my car is screaming with the SS but I cant pull away from the quiet 1.6 civic (ES5) at my rear. Well, I failed to do it before and now I won't want to try it. :(

For those who are still contemplating on the exhaust mod, I hope this helps. Cheers.

informative post. just like i told many bros here, for us, exhaust mods are more for the "garang" sound more than anything else. dun have too high expectations of hp gain etc etc...

as for 4 pot exhaust mod vs 6 pot, the 4 pot will sound more mild and tame than the inline 6. btu over time, the exhaust should get louder just like mine.

Put in a GruppeM Ram air intake......now your engine will sound better than a 330...haahaa....

quiksilver said:
informative post. just like i told many bros here, for us, exhaust mods are more for the "garang" sound more than anything else. dun have too high expectations of hp gain etc etc...

as for 4 pot exhaust mod vs 6 pot, the 4 pot will sound more mild and tame than the inline 6. btu over time, the exhaust should get louder just like mine.
are u also using SS?? when u say 'over time', what kind of time frame are we talking abt??

snowman said:
are u also using SS?? when u say 'over time', what kind of time frame are we talking abt??

No, using ACS. For my case, 1 year plus. U also doing exhaust mod? why never see u at today's meeetup? if u r very into mods should come to meetups and see for yourself. A picture is worth a thousand words. :dance:

And yes, u can hear the exhaust for yourserlf rather than relying on word of mouth. :thumbsup:

quiksilver said:
snowman said:

No, using ACS. For my case, 1 year plus. U also doing exhaust mod? why never see u at today's meeetup? if u r very into mods should come to meetups and see for yourself. A picture is worth a thousand words. :dance:

And yes, u can hear the exhaust for yourserlf rather than relying on word of mouth. :thumbsup:
i had changed my muffler to SS too, hee....

Re: My feedback on Supersprint muffler (318 valve)

cybertaz said:
Hi all,

this is my first posting altho' it's not my first time here. Just to share my experience with the SS muffler on my 318 valvetronic.....
....or those who are still contemplating on the exhaust mod, I hope this helps. Cheers.

Hi Cybtertaz, thats a pretty informative posting that you have. I'm also researching on exhaust now and basically down to 2, ss and breyton. It is said by many that ss sounds softer and thats its appeal as it have a bit of sportiness to it without being loud. There are some who just don't like it loud while cruising. That being said, I was wondering how much you paid for it? Also, was wondering if its possible at all for me to pop by to meet you for a short while to see/hear the ss?

Winston

Winston said:
cybertaz said:
Hi all,

this is my first posting altho' it's not my first time here. Just to share my experience with the SS muffler on my 318 valvetronic.....
....or those who are still contemplating on the exhaust mod, I hope this helps. Cheers.

Hi Cybtertaz, thats a pretty informative posting that you have. I'm also researching on exhaust now and basically down to 2, ss and breyton. It is said by many that ss sounds softer and thats its appeal as it have a bit of sportiness to it without being loud. There are some who just don't like it loud while cruising. That being said, I was wondering how much you paid for it? Also, was wondering if its possible at all for me to pop by to meet you for a short while to see/hear the ss?

Winston
Bro. Why don't you check with Sam aka funnyman. He's on the SS muffler too. From what I gather from him, he's very happy with it.

Hi winston,

If you happen to be on leave this afternoon (after 230pm) like myself, I'll be at J4C to fix up something. I can show you the SS sound then. cheers.

sorry, today can't make it. Actually I would like to see the SS on a same valvetronic as mine. Anytime perhaps then. How much you paid yah?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back