N42 Valvetronic Vibrations.....

Re: N42 Valvetronic Vibrations.....

rodders;135365 said:
Wah.......so long ago and you still remember that one.

Me fat like elephant so got elephant memory... ha hah

beem;135693 said:
piggyboyz,
Yendor,
Didn't know the N42 doesn't have throttle and idle valve. I was always under the impression there's a idle control valve that needs cleaning....is that true? Anyway, if you read my last post...the GT1 actually detected my cylinder 4 is not "cycling" (i think) within specification. I am not sure what the numbers mean but the units are specified in 1/s2 (read as one over s square). Any idea?

Valvetronic engines have no throttle plate and thus have no idle valves. So got nothing to clean in the intake. It is the intake valves in the combustion chamber roof that can develop deposits which screws up the idling.

Since you tried swapping the coils and plugs, i suspect a dirty intake valve or dirty injectors. Do the exercise that i mentioned before. It may clear the problem...

Cheers

Will try that and see.... "lut" the car...haha

I would check the color of the spark plugs to see if there is any problem with the mixture...if it's rich the lambda sensor needs replacement. A faulty MAP sensor will also cause an erractic idle however it will also likely affect the power, have it checked.

The poor compression in one of the cylinders may be due to carbon build-up at the valve seat/face preventing proper seating/sealing, not uncommon on cars doing short or occassional runs. As suggested, a bottle of 'injector cleaner' and a spirited run on the NS hywy will help.....

Any recommendations on what injector cleaner to buy?

i had similar problems w my previous e46.. felt like ppl shaking the car from outside..

changed many things, but the ones that worked for me, ironically, were:

1. Changing to 95 petrol (not so jerky)
2. Not using auto aircon function and keeping aircon power around half bar..

not exactly sure why, but i suspected the solar thermostat and the a/c compressor were the culprits..

good luck in ur troubleshooting!

beem;135693 said:
piggyboyz,
I changed my mounting recently...the problem still persists.. Changed fuel regulator as well...problem still there...However, my car doesn't stall. The vibration can be quite terrible I would say...seems like shaking the whole car during routine traffic stops..but sometimes its mild..and sometimes, none to the extent...

hmm..my car is kinda like a weekend car...i only drive it like 2 days a week...ocassionally i drive it hard..but once i drove it hard and stop...the car vibrates terribly...the rpm dips occasionally as well and that makes it worse...

Yendor,
Didn't know the N42 doesn't have throttle and idle valve. I was always under the impression there's a idle control valve that needs cleaning....is that true? Anyway, if you read my last post...the GT1 actually detected my cylinder 4 is not "cycling" (i think) within specification. I am not sure what the numbers mean but the units are specified in 1/s2 (read as one over s square). Any idea?

beem;135956 said:
Any recommendations on what injector cleaner to buy?

Well most major brands will do the trick....I like Redex more if you can find a bottle. Try Waterloo Complex.

SL2;134841 said:
10W-50 is the recommended viscosity for valvetronic engines.

thanks SL2... checked my free oil given by PML when i took the car... it's 0W-40... guess it's the same as 5W-50 but at different operating temperatures???

One more question though..how many hoses and where are they in the valvetronic that may collapse overtime and contribute to the idling issue?

There chould be only 1 hose on the top of the engine cover that runs to your intake pipe that may cause vibration issues.

Cheers

Yup....changed that to something more industrial grade, ie: tougher... I heard there's 3 other hoses in the car...true?

beem;138289 said:
Yup....changed that to something more industrial grade, ie: tougher... I heard there's 3 other hoses in the car...true?

beem

Any new updates after changing hose?

Thanks!

Toby...

There's no change after i tried a full engine treatment and been revving my car for the week..still the vibrations there....changed the hose..no improvements...

yendor bro..any other suggestions? my O2 sensors kaput?

I have a problem kind of similar to your description but I don't have a valvetronic engine.. just plain M40 and the culprit was the Carbon filter. Just a suggestion.

Dun think there's a carbon filter in my car bro...

Latest update...after a rough running cylinder cycle check...the fourth cylinder came up above the specifications...however, when the engine cooled...the mech took out the spark plug and found oil around the plug...cleaned the plug from oil...put the plug back in...voila...the car is as smooth as a 6-potter....but...after leaving the car to heat up...damn...the vibration came back....again the rough running cycle check showed the fourth cylinder is marginally out of specification....took out the plugs again..no oils....mech suggested a leak test.....

I was wondering if there's anything on the fourth cylinder that could be causing a leak..hence vibration, more so when the car is hot.....is there a ring or something on the spark plug?

Bro

May I know who is trouble shooting your car?

PML or outside Mech?

Cheers!

I am no expert but after i changed the mounting...the vibration disappeared.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgamebai

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back