New 318 noisy idle

jerr87

sounds like a diesel taxi during idle from e outside

any 318 owners care to share if urs is like that ?

Re: New 318 noisy idle

jerr87;477764 said:

The ticking sound on 4 potter is normal. It existed since E30 4 potter.

For ur comfort, u could get back to PML & ask them to start another 318 to compare.

jerr87;477764 said:

its normal for a 4 potter. wait till u hear a diesel 3 series

damn......!! seriously...
my friend's lexus is250 is so quiet u'd think it was an electric motor instead of an engine

jerr87;477764 said:

Oh this is normal, moi 320i also the same, clattering like a diesel taxi during idling. But once on the move however, it sounds much nicer on the outside, especially on WOT!

Anyways for Bmw 4 potters, the cranking and idling sound sucks. For the the 6 cylinders and above, the cranking and idling sounds relli nice man! ;)

jerr87;477787 said:
my friend's lexus is250 is so quiet u'd think it was an electric motor instead of an engine

Yeah almost got the IS250 2 yrs back but then chose the 320i over the IS250 instead.......:p

yes.....it is perfectly normal that the 4 cyc engine is abit noisy........

cheers

jerr87;477787 said:
bro, cannot compare la. IS250 is made solely for the purpose of comfort. even my NA 325 is not as silent, but certainly sounds more lifely and energetic with that signature BMW exhaust note.

jerr87;477764 said:

ask ur sale rep to let you test drive again the 318 and see if there is any different..

leebmer;477829 said:
ask ur sale rep to let you test drive again the 318 and see if there is any different..

didnt test drive the car when i bought. thanks for the tip though think i will do that!

glad that you are relieved now. no point to compare to other car make. there was once i parked next to a new civic (not sure 1.6/1.8/2.0). both with engine idle and my 320 sounds like a taxi making me feel so worst off. but each day when i start my ride and drive, there is a smile :) on my face.

jerr87;477841 said:
thanks all for chiming in! helped to ease my mind a little

my 323 also sounds like a taxi during idle, but I noticed only recently after about 50,000km.

jerr87;477841 said:
thanks all for chiming in! helped to ease my mind a little
Bro,

dun wori. Its like that. My 318i 3 mths old also sound like shit...hehehehe My friend who drive 523 even say my car sounds worse than qq...heart pain...anyway like what all other bro says, when u are inside the cabin and driving it, its not too bad though.

Cheers!

BMW mech designer was having an orgasm while designing the camshaft/valvetronic mechanism so our 4 potters sound worst than diesel engine during idling....some german girl hide under his CAD system and performing a XXXXjob.

yea.. as long as inside is silent and comfortable... dun care abt the outside noise bahz..

btw.. mine also quite noisy.. :shakebon:

noise is good if it sounds like a 6potter growl not tik-tik-tik like diesel taxi

BMWs are like that since day 1. Europeans have different culture and likings as compared to Asians. Asians in general like comfort but Europeans like to be 'rugged'. That explains why European cars tend to be heavier and noisier cos the Europeans like firm handling and also growling engines. I was once told by my ang moh friend that they considered cars with soft and quiet engines as 'pussies' cos they like the engine to be noisy cos give them the satusfaction of having a powerful engine. Funny right? Dont ask me why.

snowmanyee;571511 said:
BMWs are like that since day 1. Europeans have different culture and likings as compared to Asians. Asians in general like comfort but Europeans like to be 'rugged'. That explains why European cars tend to be heavier and noisier cos the Europeans like firm handling and also growling engines. I was once told by my ang moh friend that they considered cars with soft and quiet engines as 'pussies' cos they like the engine to be noisy cos give them the satusfaction of having a powerful engine. Funny right? Dont ask me why.
U should check N52 during idling. It is silent. It is even quieter than a merc.

For all BMW 4 pot, it is always the clattering sound during idling. It has been there since E30 (that's the earliest i heard).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
333wincomco
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back