New 520i vs. A6 2.0

JasonKuan

Which model will you pick, the new 520i or the new Audi A6? Both model is facelifted and I guess the earliest for either the two models to arrive will be sometime 2011 (correct me if I am wrong on this).

Apparently the specification of the A6 is better, the only issue I have with the A6 is that it is a front wheel drive but it is faster off the line and can be spec up to Stage 1 by Premium Automobiles.

Also which car has a better resale value if I will to sell the car after 3 years?

Re: New 520i vs. A6 2.0

Suggest you test drive both to sample the ride -- E60 and A6 are quite different. E60 drives and rides well, but I find the styling & design dated. A6's ride is somehow jiggly, also the 2.0T engine is not smooth (A4 B8's 1.8T sounds much better). A6 is very spacious though and looks good.

TiAg;441632 said:
Suggest you test drive both to sample the ride -- E60 and A6 are quite different. E60 drives and rides well, but I find the styling & design dated. A6's ride is somehow jiggly, also the 2.0T engine is not smooth (A4 B8's 1.8T sounds much better). A6 is very spacious though and looks good.

+1
dont ask the bros here...of course most if not all, will attest that E60 is the best 8)
test drive yrself...thats the best yardstick, n post yr comments here for us bro to discuss..

In my humble opinion - go for the E60. However rumour has it (and I may be wrong) - the new 5 will hit our shore sometime in 2010.

Jason,

From the date you mentioned, i suppose you are talking about the next 5 series - F10.
How are we able to tell you about the New 5 when we have not even tried it?

This is BMW club, so you dun have to guess the answer like what the others told you:)

Jason

gotham88;443941 said:
In my humble opinion - go for the E60. However rumour has it (and I may be wrong) - the new 5 will hit our shore sometime in 2010.
this is true. if your objective of a car is just to go from point A to B by all means go ahead and get the current 5'er. New model is coming out in no time.

Jason8822;443947 said:
Jason,

From the date you mentioned, i suppose you are talking about the next 5 series - F10.
How are we able to tell you about the New 5 when we have not even tried it?

This is BMW club, so you dun have to guess the answer like what the others told you:)

Jason

I've driven 3 generations of 3 series, currently driving E90 323i; was thinking of changing to something bigger and was open to Audi A6 as I find the styling understated yet attractive, and the pricing was good. The 2.0T engine in A6 was rough (not as refined as the 1.8T in A4, I know as I test drove it too), and the ride was just not settled.

520i ride is firm as expected, but not comfortable -- may be I've been "tuned" to the BMW type of ride for too long...

I've also tried out W211 (both E200k and E230). MB's ride was nice and comfortable -- only downside is steering feel is light and image of car (taxis & drivers who are typically ah pek business men).

You really need to try and drive the car to feel the difference. Seeing it in the showroom is not enough.

Slater;443955 said:
this is true. if your objective of a car is just to go from point A to B by all means go ahead and get the current 5'er. New model is coming out in no time.

that's what i heard too
early 2010

dont believe everything the SE says, better to do some homework just by googling ard

both are nice cars but 520's abit underpowered

2.0T alot more potential to chip up etc, better finishing too
plus new model not coming out so soon
rear LEDs are nice
however, drive can b abit rough

i will have to say if its me, i am leaning abit more to the A6 now. no offence to no one =]

joshdway;444050 said:
that's what i heard too
early 2010

dont believe everything the SE says, better to do some homework just by googling ard

both are nice cars but 520's abit underpowered

2.0T alot more potential to chip up etc, better finishing too
plus new model not coming out so soon
rear LEDs are nice
however, drive can b abit rough

i will have to say if its me, i am leaning abit more to the A6 now. no offence to no one =]
A6 is also an outgoing model btw.

A6 is facelifted what. Oh ya, the A6's rear headroom not as good as the bimmer. Problem if you have tall passengers. But the LEDs are so cool man. Hehehe

Yeah, heard the A6 is an outgoing model. A4 seems to be a better built car, new platform, fantastic equipment level..

I've tested both cars. Audi scores well in the looks department. The steering is so light. Reminds me of my first car - Toyota.

If possible, acid test the test drive at 99 curves. Put the 2 machine to test (even at 60km/h) you can tell the difference.

Besides Audi's OMV is lower and e60 should fetch a better resale. Just look at classified. The demand for Beemers still way above Audi.

I just booked a 525 with M kit. I know the new model is coming out mid-end 2010, but hey, who buys the first batch of car anyways? The variant from PML got lots of goodies.

I tried to move to other cars, but seriously nothing gives you the man + machine communication like BMW. The drive is still unbeatable. This of course is my opinion lah.

Other pragmatic consideration like Audi's engine (turbo) saves you on the tax compared to 525 2.5l. It was tempting for me too and their daylight LED is chio chio armani.

3 key reasons why I won't touch the Audi A6 2.0 TFSI MU :boring:

(1) F/F FWD - its handling pales by comparison with the BMW 5-er's F/R RWD
(2) MU Multitronic CVT - a rubber-bandy big joke of a transmission and has poor reliability. BMW's Steptronic Auto anytime.
(3) Electric power steering - completely no feel, drive like a koo-niang. BMW's 5-er still sticks to the tried and trusted hydrualic power steering.

The only Audi that will be worth considering is the Quattro (whichever model).
With Tiptronic, or Manual transmission.
Just have to live with the light electric power steering though.

astrid;444166 said:
3 key reasons why I won't touch the Audi A6 2.0 TFSI MU :boring:

(1) F/F FWD - its handling pales by comparison with the BMW 5-er's F/R RWD
(2) MU Multitronic CVT - a rubber-bandy big joke of a transmission and has poor reliability. BMW's Steptronic Auto anytime.
(3) Electric power steering - completely no feel, drive like a koo-niang. BMW's 5-er still sticks to the tried and trusted hydrualic power steering.

The only Audi that will be worth considering is the Quattro (whichever model).
With Tiptronic, or Manual transmission.
Just have to live with the light electric power steering though.

Just want to ask everyone here besides comparing with the A6, what about the Lexus GS300? I am currently considering between the 525 and GS300 and am inclined towards the GS as its really great value for money with high level of equipment. compared with the 525 which is very bare even with the current M kit promo.

sunfire;444365 said:
Just want to ask everyone here besides comparing with the A6, what about the Lexus GS300? I am currently considering between the 525 and GS300 and am inclined towards the GS as its really great value for money with high level of equipment. compared with the 525 which is very bare even with the current M kit promo.

GS300's plus points: very quiet ride, & the audio system is great. Downsides: drive not as engaging as BMW, I find the rear passenger space small due to huge transmission trunk, and the wood colour is so "reddishly" awful.

I went to test drive both the A6 and the 520, the steering on the A6 simply too light and wasn't up to expectation.

However the plus point for the A6 is that I can spec it up to Stage 1 which will cost me around the region of SGD$3K with in house warranty, and the HP increase from 170BHP to 240BHP and thus will be much faster off the line compared to the 520i which seems to be too sluggish for its size.

Looks wise both equally good, with the 520i with M AeroKit and A6 with LED running lights...

Anyway my take is on the A6, as it is not that common and faster vs. the 520i. FYI - I was told by the SE that there will be a new engine coming in August for the A4 which will be quattro and with DCT equivalent gearbox... Worth waiting or either wait for another year for the new model to come up which makes better sense.

JasonKuan;444371 said:
However the plus point for the A6 is that I can spec it up to Stage 1 which will cost me around the region of SGD$3K with in house warranty, and the HP increase from 170BHP to 240BHP and thus will be much faster off the line compared to the 520i which seems to be too sluggish for its size.

240 bhp on the front wheels will be near an FWD's limits, without resorting to the use of eccentrically-joint crankshafts (as employed by Renault et al), or the new knuckle-something joint employed by Ford in the new Focus RS.

Nearing that point, and without these contraptions, other issues will set in ..... like kinematic torque steer (when launching from stationary, especially on a wet road) and dynamic understeer (when taking fast bends, especially in the wet).

Take a look around .....

VW, beyond their FWD Golf GTI, goes 4-Motion (AWD) for the R32.
Audi, beyond the FWD A3s with 200+ bhp, goes Quattro ..... and for the S3 too.
Similarly A4 by the time they reach 3.2L and higher, its mainly Quattro.
And Subarus kept to AWD all the way - as they lean on induction engines a lot.

But of course, there are exceptions in high-powered FWDs >250 bhp.

Either that, or stick to RWDs for the large-engined Mercs, BMWs, Jags, and ALL sports cars.

sunfire;444365 said:
high level of equipment??? what does the lexus have that the 525 doesnt?

Slater;444555 said:
high level of equipment??? what does the lexus have that the 525 doesnt?

Lots. these are all NOT optional and std in the GS.
1. mark levinson 14 speakers sound system.
2. air cond seats (for the current passionate black and super luxury edition)
3. adaptive head lights
4. Rear electric sunblind
5. rear view monitor
6. motion sensing alarm
7. 6 DVD player
etc etc.

of course the 525 also has some equipment which the GS does not have. its just that if u compare the OMV and the price and what u r getting for the 525, i do kinda feel a bit short change for a luxury car. Having said all this, i also do understand that the 525 is a better drive compared to the Lexus.

One thing i do admit is that the rear seating space of the GS is much more cramp. i suppose u can't have everything. :)

sunfire;444584 said:
Lots. these are all NOT optional and std in the GS.
1. mark levinson 14 speakers sound system.
2. air cond seats (for the current passionate black and super luxury edition)
3. adaptive head lights
4. Rear electric sunblind
5. rear view monitor
6. motion sensing alarm
7. 6 DVD player
etc etc.

of course the 525 also has some equipment which the GS does not have. its just that if u compare the OMV and the price and what u r getting for the 525, i do kinda feel a bit short change for a luxury car. Having said all this, i also do understand that the 525 is a better drive compared to the Lexus.

One thing i do admit is that the rear seating space of the GS is much more cramp. i suppose u can't have everything. :)
seriously, these options can be found on a nissan tiena. i know how you feel. felt the same way when i contemplated the lexus IS250. ultimately settled for the bimmer. pretty sure you will get bored with the toys after a while. the ride and handling of the bimmer however, you will hardly get tired of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xvipbeauty

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back