New rims damage/ dented - suggestions?

jerte3

Hi fellow forumers

I have just changed my rims and tyres less than 6 mths ago to 19" M6 replica rims (about SGD2000 for the 4 rims, exclude tyres) for my 5 series. But today while driving along ECP happen to go over a piece of wood on the road. Initially i though only tyre puncture but end up realise after taking out the left front and left rear tyres to inspect, there are dents on the rims on the inside edge - hence there is tyre air leakage though the tires itself is ok (suprisingly). I am offered a few suggestions but can't decide hence need fellow forumers kind suggesions:-

1. Try to repair the 2 affected rims. I understand it cost like about SGD100 per rim and take a few days. However, i dun know whether after spending this monies will the problem be solved i.e. car become unstable, wobble, noise etc?

2. Buy 2 new M6 replica rims to replace the damaged ones. There is no trade in for my 2 'damaged rims' and hence have to pay about SGD500 per rim i.e. about 1 grand. pain....

3. Trade in my existing 4 rims (for about SGD500 only) and get a second hand set of say ACS by topping up about SGD200-SGD300. But dun really like the ACS rims and also dun know what kind of condition of 'second hand' rims will be given to me....

4. Last but not least, take this 'oppty' to trade in my existing rims for a entirely new set of rims of other design e.g. M5 rims, Breyton etc. But my rims are only 6 mths only and all this problem and $$$ becoz of a small wood piece on the highway... sian...

Suggestions and comments???

btw, if you guys think repairing the rims should work, any good rim repair shop to recommend? appreciate.

Thanks
jerte3

Re: New rims damage/ dented - suggestions?

Many believe the saying : " It will never be the same "
so my take is if the damage is serious, replace em with brand new set..
If just deep scratches then hv em repaired

if you want Original ACS TypeIV 19" non staggered, I saw a set at Leong Seng @ Ubi during weekend. traded in by another 5er who upgraded to 20. It shod with Michelin PS2, sweet. Give them a call see if the stock still available and hope it will fit your budget.

with $200 for repairing 2 wheels, why not give it a try. don't feel good then, change lo. by then your damage wheel should be good for trade in cos the damage can't be seen lo. :lol2:

jerte3 said:
3. Trade in my existing 4 rims (for about SGD500 only) and get a second hand set of say ACS by topping up about SGD200-SGD300. But dun really like the ACS rims and also dun know what kind of condition of 'second hand' rims will be given to me....
What ACS wheels are those? Type 4 or Type 4 Racing? Size? The ACS might fetch some residual value when you sell them. Just my two cents. Compare to buying some reps.

Quality on replica already a suspect, especially the Taiwan-made versions (some cracked on impact), why bother fixing it?

acupunch;267564 said:
if you want Original ACS TypeIV 19" non staggered, I saw a set at Leong Seng @ Ubi during weekend. traded in by another 5er who upgraded to 20. It shod with Michelin PS2, sweet. Give them a call see if the stock still available and hope it will fit your budget.

with $200 for repairing 2 wheels, why not give it a try. don't feel good then, change lo. by then your damage wheel should be good for trade in cos the damage can't be seen lo. :lol2:

that ACS rims belong to my friend... very very good 2nd hand buy with food condition michelin PS2 tires.... mai tu liao.... most importantly is original :)

TripleM;267560 said:
Many believe the saying : " It will never be the same "
so my take is if the damage is serious, replace em with brand new set..
If just deep scratches then hv em repaired
Thanks TripleM

Unfortunately, one shop say can try to repair - pay 250 for 2 rims, can restore 80-90%. Another shop say repair also may not help much... and these 2 shops are highly recommended by this website....

kenntona;267567 said:
What ACS wheels are those? Type 4 or Type 4 Racing? Size? The ACS might fetch some residual value when you sell them. Just my two cents. Compare to buying some reps.

Quality on replica already a suspect, especially the Taiwan-made versions (some cracked on impact), why bother fixing it?
thanks kenntona, the 2nd hand ACS rims offer to me for an additional 200 top-up seems to Type IV Racing - i saw the 'screws' on the circumference of the rims.... these rims are replica (dun know italy or taiwan). suppose to be like few months old. my current M6 replica are from italy.

Terry;267598 said:
that ACS rims belong to my friend... very very good 2nd hand buy with food condition michelin PS2 tires.... mai tu liao.... most importantly is original :)
thanks terry and acupunch
so these ACS rims are Type IV or Type IV racing? u know roughly how much and how old?

jerte3;267938 said:
thanks terry and acupunch
so these ACS rims are Type IV or Type IV racing? u know roughly how much and how old?

these are type IV without studs... not sure how long..shud be about 1 year plus...but owner seldom drive his car.... tires are in good condition as well... asking price by leong seng shud be about 5000 with tires...my estimation...dont know also

its Type IV, no 'screws' on the circumference. others u better checked with leong seng

acupunch;267946 said:
its Type IV, no 'screws' on the circumference. others u better checked with leong seng
thnks acupunch and terry. appreciate

just remember...stick to original rims... :)

jerte3 said:
.... these rims are replica (dun know italy or taiwan). suppose to be like few months old.
Terry said:
asking price by leong seng shud be about 5000 with tires...my estimation...dont know also
So are these replicas? Confused..........

the one at leong seng ACS 19" Type IV is ORIGINAL. C.O.N.F.I.R.M.E.D (adrian's typo)

kenntona;268030 said:
So are these replicas? Confused..........

we refferinng to different rims... the one at leong seng is original..

Repairing dented wheels is a quick fix but will not solve the problem entirely. Its unlucky that u dented them 6mths into the ownership of the rims but please do not compromise on rims/tires. The most cost effective, if u like your current set, is to buy 2 replacement rims and reshoe them with your existing 2 tires (if they are still okay).

Cheerio!

totally agreed with Sam. those are the only contact point of your expensive matachia.

then make coffee tables form your damaged ones

Thanks guys. As always this website/ forum never fails to have friendly and helpful 'old birds' to help us newbies.

I think i wll likely take this 'oppty' to change my M6 to M5 rims (i am also eyeing for sometime also... he he he).

Ah Q spirit - new rims for coming new year - who knows ... maybe new/ more luck

cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhatvipdate

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back