New Rims & Spacers - How much vibration is too much vibration?

Re: New Rims & Spacers - How much vibration is too much vibration?

i know some jap wheels comes with original centre ring for the difference in hub size... thatswhy my volks need centre ring...

check with leong seng if they have the centre ring...order one if needed...

its not the spacer..imho :)

Are you having this wheels?

Bro, go and get the HRE for your car lah ! make your M3 more swee.

edlms;297385 said:
sigh...
I kinda liked the new rims but they didn't have the right offsets, and was advised by the tire guy that the spacers shouldn't be a prob. double sigh...

I decided to keep the PS2 and stock rims for the track since no spacers needed and I'd be confident of the whole set during tracking. Once the PS2 are worn, I can change to semi-slicks for track work.

The vibrations only come on when I brake, and I'm told that this is relatively common and may go away after a week. I've had the new rims on for 3 days now, but doesn't seem to get better.

Here's some photos...

cheers

Ed.... killer la! Sweet man! U r Da Man!

But on a serious note... any form of vibration is not good at all... do get yr centrebore checked out as Dave had mentioned... Happy driving!
Andy

was just advised that i prob got wrong offset and wrong hub size rim... sigh... and that the wheel is now sitting on the bolts, and this can be pretty dangerous...

gotta go back tomorrow morning to sort this out.

still like these rims though. going to consider the BBS RS GT and HRE recommended. and the Schemeiden Indv.

Cheers.

If u have vibrations only when you brake, then you have a brake issue. If they removed your rotor during the rim installation process, I suspect that they reinstalled the rotors without cleaning out the wheel rust from the hub. If they did not remove your rotors, and you still have the braking vibration issue, considering you just came back from track day, I think your rotors may need resurfacing. In any case, there may also be misalignment between your rotor's plance and your wheel's plane, causing the vibrations. Best to reinstall the PS2 and see still have issue or not, if yes, reject these new wheels and spacers, in favour of a perfect offset one.

centurion;297705 said:
If u have vibrations only when you brake, then you have a brake issue. If they removed your rotor during the rim installation process, I suspect that they reinstalled the rotors without cleaning out the wheel rust from the hub. If they did not remove your rotors, and you still have the braking vibration issue, considering you just came back from track day, I think your rotors may need resurfacing. In any case, there may also be misalignment between your rotor's plance and your wheel's plane, causing the vibrations. Best to reinstall the PS2 and see still have issue or not, if yes, reject these new wheels and spacers, in favour of a perfect offset one.

yah hor... good point. Thanks!
they didn't remove the rotors but did blow of the wheel rust and dust (kopi hun).

will put back the PS2 tomorrow and go testing testing.

however, a point to note is that the car doesn't have the same (or similar) planted feel at higher speeds as when stock wheels were on.

cheers.

edlms;297670 said:
thanks!
if this is the issue, does that mean if i do a centre ring like terry advised, everything should be ok. or should i just forget about spacers...?

thanks again.

cheers

If the bore or hub size is correct, you can even use up to 30mm spacer without any problem .

Cheersss

centurion;297705 said:

+1 ....didnt thought of ur track day.... :)

my 2 bobs worth

using spacers on an M3 is out of the question. That really is not a good option. How many race cares do you see with spacers?
I might buy a brand new ferarri then buy the wrong offset wheels and use spacers. its just not on

just got back from LV. bumped into bobby going to sar lau...

anyways, removed the front spacers (left the rears ones on) and essentially eradicated the higher speed "gow wei" feeling and some of the low speed vibrations when braking. Guess it was the spacers...

when i put the stock rims back on, there was still a little vibration when braking so I went to check the brakes and rotors. As it turns out, there was a little uneveness on the rotor surface (i guess from the track day) but was advised that this would go away with a little more time.

summary - uneven rotors where the main source of vibration under braking. spacers were the source of instability. It wasn't the hub issue cos this rim is meant for 3 series ie 72.5mm

now that i've removed the spacers, the ride is stable at higher speeds and the planted feel of stock rims is restored. Vibration under braking is slowly improving as the rotor surface gets "polished" back to eveness.

downside - front rims are no longer flush and look a little anemic. may try 12mm spacers as suggested by wilson...

lesson learnt - get the correct offsets! I'll consider selling these rims if i get a reasonable offer but in the meantime, i'll have to live with my inexperienced choice.

next set of rims will definitely fit properly.

thanks to all who have assisted in giving their views as they have certainly helped in resolving the problem, and also taught me a great deal.

cheers.

EDLMS
First of all, the rims are meant for E46 Non M cars so you have one issue, ie offset...

2nd, as correctly pointed out above, you are likely needing an adapter ring to solve the problems. It's very common for high performance Japanese rims for 3series. Some BBS made in Japan ones also requier such adapter.

Your tire shop has got no clue bout it obviously. Go directly to LS and get it sorted out. They are far more experienced and they can even tell you whether the adapter ring is needed or not WHEN installing the rims, ie before you drive off.

The adapter ring is typically custom made so dont expect fancy brand.

Back to your real question, any vibration at any level is bad.

Gd luck big guy

centurion;297705 said:
If u have vibrations only when you brake, then you have a brake issue.

Not true... last time I experienced steering wheel shudder from high speed braking also. Was on a wrong offset rims, with 4mm spacers (origin unknown).

Promptly went away after I changed to another set of rims.

edlms;298197 said:
As it turns out, there was a little uneveness on the rotor surface (i guess from the track day) but was advised that this would go away with a little more time.

Whatever cause the uneveness, you can be assured that, both in theory and practice, this uneveness does not go away. The uneveness will form hotspots, which will develop into a carbide compound which will eat deep into the rotor.

If you don't grind the brakes soon, it will cause irreversible damage, meaning, after a rotor resurface, the uneveness will come back after 1-2K km because of the carbide formation.

Best early on, resurface the rotor. And when your brakes are hot, don't step on the brakes when stationary, use the handbrake.

Trust me I spent a lot of money fixing this stupid cheap issue already ...

axl;298226 said:
Not true... last time I experienced steering wheel shudder from high speed braking also. Was on a wrong offset rims, with 4mm spacers (origin unknown).

Promptly went away after I changed to another set of rims.
I knew somebody will say this as I typed, but I lazy to elaborate.

I find what you experienced a caliper misalign with rotor issue. As the wheels are not align properly, they pull and push at the wheel hub and cause rotor to wobble also. So I lazy just type `brake issue' so I'm sorry for the shortness and laziness .... forgive me bro.

Pak, your points are noted. I assume LS is Leong Seng? Will go there asap. Problem is now Chinese New Year, all the workshops closed...

Centurion, i've made an appointment with J4C for after the new year to get a 2nd opinion and do the remedial works if necessary.

Looks like I have to drive safe and slow for the next couple of weeks, until the workshops open.

THANKS SO MUCH!!! really do appreciate your wisdom.

cheers.

Whoa..nice

Whoa..NIce rims Ed..but i 100pct agree with Jack, get LS to custom make the spacers. I never did like LS unlike Jack (lol), but after i got my Prodrive rims, i needed spacers of 5mm at the rear and they made me a super-duper spacer with hubcentric measurement, not the usual flat alu piece !! no vibration even at 250kph on NS ....

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back