newbie seeking advise for 318i sports

eggz

Re: newbie seeking advise for 318i sports

sash5 said:
Hi All,

I am planning to get a new 318i from PML. Currently they are offering 143K with loads of additional stuff such as body kits, m mutli function steering wheel, sports seats, 17" rims.

Here's my question:

Worth to get it 1st hand?
How is the reliability of 318i?
the sales rep claims that the service interval is 25000km, is it true?

its facelift post 2001 318i worth considering?

thanks in advance for the generous input...

Seeing that there'll be a new 3 series next year, it's probably not worth while getting a new one now. Perhaps get a good condition, log mileage 2nd hand one for the time being and aim to get the new E90 in 2005/6 :)

I had a 328ci previously for 4 years, and reliability is unbelieveable. The biggest problem I had with the car was 1 front light bulb and 2 tailight bulbs needing replacement in the 3rd year. Other than that, the car worked flawlessly! And I was quite aggressive with it, my original set of tyres were almost completely gone at less than 15,000km without bringing the car to a track.

Service interval according to the car's computer is around 24,000km, but it is recommended that you service for oil change once a year. The engine runs smoother....

eggz

hmmm, i didn't know about the new model. No wonder they are giving such a good offer. How to properly inspect for a good condition Bimmer?

I was offered 86k for 04/2001, but that's the older version with 115bhp. And most importantly worrying about reliability and maintenance of infamous continenetal car.

thanks for the advise in advance!!

If you are considering a new 318i, do take a look at a low mileage, well maintained 320i instead. IMHO, the 320 will hold it's value better. Of course, aim for the E90 in a couple of years once they have sorted out the initial production kinks :)

(btw, I believe a F/L 318valvetronic should be around $9.5-$10k depr per year; the 320i around $10.5k-11k per year, depending on how old it is)

I would think the Face-Lifted (FL) is nicer than the non-FL with the sweet & smooth 6-pot. Do try the 4 cyl and 6 cyl while you are at it.

thanks for all the suggestion, but after serious consideration with maintenance of vehicle. running cost and so on.. i still think that the new 318i is a better deal (planning to keep it for more than 3yrs).

thanks for all the good advise!!!

Hi Sash, I would think it's a great deal! Mine just rolled out barely 2 weeks ago and I'm having the time of my life! I would think at $143,000 would be a good buy. Last time I saw the price again at PML(just last week), it went up to almost $155,000, with the same additional fittings. And yes, it's true that the first servicing starts at 25,000 km.

now really struggling with a few other make like STI or EVO 8 due to the close in price range however ride comfort nothing beats the Bemmer!!

PML was offering exclusive edition 318i for 136k (published), 133k (after final discount) a couple of months back during their Anniversary Sale.

10k seems like a high premium to pay in a matter of 2 months to me :)

the exclusive is offerring at 136k currently, the sales rep told me that the 7K is for all the M Kit, such as the body kit, sports seat, m door silt, rear boot lip, fog lights and 17" M rims.

breaking down the cost, seems attractive.

ya loh.. realli realli struggling to decide soon.. as i think the offer wont last for long.. factory fitted m kits does sounds appealing. i am just worried abt maintaining the car and running cost. never driven a continetal car in my life.. currently my ride is a honda civic.. haha

Racebred said:
7k for M aero kit, rims and sports seat is very very very good value already.

not to mention omv for the sports edition is about 45k....whereas the normal exclusive one is about 41-42k, so pretty good value anyways.

hi all, i am pretty confuse with the new and old system for COE..
some 80% parf? some 60% parf? or something like dat..

here's my question, if i intend to get a 2nd hand 2002 mar 318i @ $110000 with about 90% loan.

When i will be able to scrap it or sell it without losing $$$ ?

any expert can advise?

I hope this helps.

If you get a March 2002 car, it falls under the old registration scheme. This means that you will get back 80% of the OMV value once you scrap it after 10 years from the car's date of registration, i.e. 10 years from March 2002. This is known as the PARF value.

So, if lets say the OMV is $45k, you will get back $36k (80% of OMV) once you scrap the car in March 2012. If you buy the car now at 110,000, you would have paid $74k to drive the car for approximately 7.5 years. This means that the car would have depreciated in value by approximately $9,867 per year ($74k divided by 7.5).

Of course, all this is the most simplistic way of calculating how much you lose. It gets a little more complicated when you have to consider how much you lose because of the 90% loan you intend to take.

You can call me at 9745 3610 if you want to find out a bit more. I'll be happy to explain it to you, i.e. new scheme, old scheme, bank loan interest rates, rule of 78, etc. I'm not a dealer or agent by the way. heh! It's just that I'm thinking of selling my Evo 7 now so I'm also in tune with all the calculations and what not.

I hope this helps.

If you get a March 2002 car, it falls under the old registration scheme. This means that you will get back 80% of the OMV value once you scrap it after 10 years from the car's date of registration, i.e. 10 years from March 2002. This is known as the PARF value.

So, if lets say the OMV is $45k, you will get back $36k (80% of OMV) once you scrap the car in March 2012. If you buy the car now at 110,000, you would have paid $74k to drive the car for approximately 7.5 years. This means that the car would have depreciated in value by approximately $9,867 per year ($74k divided by 7.5).

Of course, all this is the most simplistic way of calculating how much you lose. It gets a little more complicated when you have to consider how much you lose because of the 90% loan you intend to take.

You can call me at 9745 3610 if you want to find out a bit more. I'll be happy to explain it to you, i.e. new scheme, old scheme, bank loan interest rates, rule of 78, etc. I'm not a dealer or agent by the way. heh! It's just that I'm thinking of selling my Evo 7 now so I'm also in tune with all the calculations and what not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win79bcom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back