Noisy 520i engine

rkrskr

Hi,

I drive a E60 520i LCI which I collected from PML last month. I have noticed that the engine gets quite loud even when the car is climbing gentle slopes, and it appears that the car is "dragging" its gears.

Understand that the 4 cylinder 2.0 litre engine in the 520i is the same as that used in the 320i. Thus, I would like to enquire if anyone driving a 320i has also encountered such a problem.

Regards.

Re: Noisy 520i engine

does your experience now differ from your test drive experience?

yes its a heavy mutha of a car...lighten yr car with ultraleggeras/schimdt rims, and perhaps it'll climb up slopes with ease...:)

rkrskr;356478 said:
Hi,

I drive a E60 520i LCI which I collected from PML last month. I have noticed that the engine gets quite loud even when the car is climbing gentle slopes, and it appears that the car is "dragging" its gears.

Understand that the 4 cylinder 2.0 litre engine in the 520i is the same as that used in the 320i. Thus, I would like to enquire if anyone driving a 320i has also encountered such a problem.

Regards.

centurion;356491 said:
does your experience now differ from your test drive experience?

Hi. I didn't go up any slope during the test drive, as it was done along the AYE.

Anyway, the car is relatively decent on level ground but it just seems to be out of breath on a slope. Understand that the 2.0 litre engine is relatively underpowered for a 1490 kg car but even my friend's Toyota Vios doesn't sound so loud when climbing slopes.

rkrskr;356548 said:
Hi. I didn't go up any slope during the test drive, as it was done along the AYE.

Anyway, the car is relatively decent on level ground but it just seems to be out of breath on a slope. Understand that the 2.0 litre engine is relatively underpowered for a 1490 kg car but even my friend's Toyota Vios doesn't sound so loud when climbing slopes.
The Vios is 109HP at 1,020 kg. 9.35 kg per hp (lower is better)
Your 520 is 170HP at 1,535kg. 9.02 kg per HP

About the same there.

But engine wise,

The Vios requires 13.7cc to make 1HP, but your high tech BMW engine requires 11.7cc to give 1HP. A little bit more highly stressed here, surprising that it actually comes to a refinement difference in the Vios' favour.... !

centurion;356554 said:

About the same there.

But engine wise,

The Vios requires 13.7cc to make 1HP, but your high tech BMW engine requires 11.7cc to give 1HP. A little bit more highly stressed here, surprising that it actually comes to a refinement difference in the Vios' favour.... !

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Its also true that BMWs engine might be slightly strained as it needs to produce more HP per cc. However, my E60 LCI 520i only produces 156 hp and not 170 hp as it does not have direct injection. What this means is that the 520i actually has less bhp/kg as compared to the VIOS. Nevertheless, it feels more responsive probably due to the transmission.

rkrskr;356581 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Its also true that BMWs engine might be slightly strained as it needs to produce more HP per cc. However, my E60 LCI 520i only produces 156 hp and not 170 hp as it does not have direct injection. What this means is that the 520i actually has less bhp/kg as compared to the VIOS. Nevertheless, it feels more responsive probably due to the transmission.

hi fellow LCI bro,

no such problem for my new ride.. climbs slope easily and quietly. on the contrary, sports mode by default shortens the gear ratio and makes the engine louder...

u might wanna chk wif pml..

For my 150 horses 320i, it growls when attacking the slope and also, it drags like dropping a gear when i release my foot from the accelerator. Brought to kg Arang and they did a software patch that modified the signals from the air sensor back to ECU. This affect the fuel feed and ignition timing.
In your case, the mixture may be too lean.....oso, ask PML to check the your ignition sensor which read the rpm and load - air pressure/flow.

centurion;356554 said:

About the same there.

But engine wise,

This is not an accurate representation of power though. What you are talking about is peak HP the engine produces which is near its redline.

Engines can be designed for low end power but lacks punch after around 3-4K RPM. I believe the VIOS engine is one of such design. Thus even though it may lack absolute HP, its acceleration at low RPM ~2K is actually quite good.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help and advice. Guess I would be taking my ride to PML Kg Arang for a check-up and a possible software update.

Otherwise, the car is relatively problem free so far.

Hi rkrskr,

How is your 520 now ? Earlier problem fixed ?
I will bet getting my new 520i next week, kind of worry after reading all these BMW car's problem.

Cheers

Hi Silvercard,

I went to PML Kg Arang recently and the CSA said this noisy engine syndrome is quite a common occurrence on the 520i and 320i as both use 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engines. The engines are relatively underpowered when compared to the weight of the car, but with the high car costs here, we all have to make do with what we have. One solution is just to 'attack' the slopes at higher speeds. If not, you could leave your car for observation but I chose to forgo that option due to the downtime.

Anyway, the car has been relatively problem free so far except for the occasional squeak. Have no complaints about the car- its comfortable, the interior is quite nice (and the rear has more wood than its main competitor the Merc E-Class) and the iDrive is surprisingly quite intuitive.

All the best for the collection of your new 520i. You will definitely enjoy the car collection process at Sime Darby. Btw, what color is your new 520i going to be?

rkrskr;363075 said:
Anyway, the car has been relatively problem free so far except for the occasional squeak.

The squeak sounds like a creak coming from the window pane or the under/side of the seat?

If so, that's the door seals.
I've had several BMs over the decade & more and every single one had door seals that squeaked, even when the car is only a couple of months old. Dirt & dust makes it worse.
The best way I found to resolve this is to put anti-friction tape at the top sill ... recommended by a CSA at PML whom I've asked to handle all my BMs since the first.

SMP;363086 said:
The squeak sounds like a creak coming from the window pane or the under/side of the seat?

If so, that's the door seals.
I've had several BMs over the decade & more and every single one had door seals that squeaked, even when the car is only a couple of months old. Dirt & dust makes it worse.
The best way I found to resolve this is to put anti-friction tape at the top sill ... recommended by a CSA at PML whom I've asked to handle all my BMs since the first.

PML at Sime Darby has put some anti-friction tape on the door seals. It solved the creaking problem somewhat, but when driving on speed limiting strips the noise will come back occasionally.

My front centre console is also beginning to have some creaking noises. A bit frustrating, considering this is supposed to be a luxury car. However, I think I can live with these minor issues as long as the car doesn't break down/ engine overheat etc.

Hi all gius here..Heard no power for 520i going up slope....oh...just got my 520 last week and thinking going to Genting Highland.....how to go if no going up slope lack of power for 520i..????

Hi rkrskr,

Mine is silver with black interior. It is only 10 days old. Very nice car and hope don't have any those BMW car's problem. I was driving a 320i before this, and it has this central lock problem. Failed 3 times.

Regarding your noise problem when going up hill. I went up the Kent Ridge park hill that day n found that the noise seems ok to me.It has that kind of engine roar sound but I thought is not that bad.

mike211;367206 said:
Hi all gius here..Heard no power for 520i going up slope....oh...just got my 520 last week and thinking going to Genting Highland.....how to go if no going up slope lack of power for 520i..????

confirm can go up the slope, just a matter of whether you will enjoy the drive up or not.

Hi silvercard,

Glad to hear that your 520i is problem free. The engine roar sound no longer bothers me that much. My mileage is around 2300 km so far and thankfully there are no major problems.

Hi

I jus collected my new 520i jus a week ago. Is there any power upgrades for this model? Any recommendations? considering its only a 2.0L only. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88events
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back