Noisy 520i engine

Re: Noisy 520i engine

sorry i dont understand why buy a 520 and start looking around for power upgrades. for the same money there are many other cars offering much more power with decent or better handling cos that can be upgraded. unless the blue and white flag means alot.

rkrskr;356581 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Its also true that BMWs engine might be slightly strained as it needs to produce more HP per cc. However, my E60 LCI 520i only produces 156 hp and not 170 hp as it does not have direct injection. What this means is that the 520i actually has less bhp/kg as compared to the VIOS. Nevertheless, it feels more responsive probably due to the transmission.

Your 520i produce 170hp not 156hp. Btw, you car is has a 2.2 in-line six engine. Its engine has similar characteristic as the 530i, and should not be making loud noises. I suggest go to your local workshop and has it inspected.

I'm planning to buy my 1st BMW and I'm totally "shock" to read the below comments. I thought that these comments apply to Msia proton saga or Cherry QQ.

C1: I think I can live with these minor issues as long as the car doesn't break down/ engine overheat etc

C2: My mileage is around 2300 km so far and thankfully there are no major problems.

gasterus;379404 said:
Your 520i produce 170hp not 156hp. Btw, you car is has a 2.2 in-line six engine. Its engine has similar characteristic as the 530i, and should not be making loud noises. I suggest go to your local workshop and has it inspected.

The first batch E60s 520i came with the 2.2 inline 6 engine, that was rated at 170bhp if I remember correctly.

The current batch of E60 LCI 520i is the inline 4 engine, similiar to the E90 320i engine. Rated at 156bhp.

Black GT;379400 said:
sorry i dont understand why buy a 520 and start looking around for power upgrades. for the same money there are many other cars offering much more power with decent or better handling cos that can be upgraded. unless the blue and white flag means alot.

The blue and white propeller badge offers pretty good handling, comfort, day to day driving enjoyment and linear power delivery. For a family man, with a 150k budget, we could get the evo 10, STI, Civic Type R, Golf Gti, and many others with spare change.

In local context, after market resale value is pretty impt for budget conscious ppl like us, I know alot of ppl say resale value is crap but compared to brands like audi, volkswagon, etc the resale value of used Conti cars are better for Merc and Bmws, meaning we do not lose so much. So we can proceed with our next upgrade without forking out too much cash.

Also to get your family around in comfort, driving an evo or a sti may not be everyone's cup of tea, as the ride and noise levels are pretty high (If Modded which most of us do but not everyone though), thats why some people rather spend this 150 to 160k on a E60 520i instead. Power is something that everyone will NOT get enuf off. Browsing forums for the evos and stis, there will also be ppl asking, eh bro how to mod my car for more power arh? Bigger turbo, boost, etc

Asking how to mod or make ur car more powerful is a pretty common question in car forums actually and I do not understand what the fuss is about.....
:confused:

delrosa81;379454 said:
The first batch E60s 520i came with the 2.2 inline 6 engine, that was rated at 170bhp if I remember correctly.

The current batch of E60 LCI 520i is the inline 4 engine, similiar to the E90 320i engine. Rated at 156bhp.

Yes i am sure that the current 520i is 2.0l and inline 4 BHP156... i am a little dissapointed but too bad got it last month already so have to live with it and try not to think too much ( did not check the spec when bot , only know is a 2.0l( road tax cheaper)... Anyway i am not going to F1...so doesn't really matter on the power ... Race in TPE,PIE..etc...anytime can get ticket...Especially this period of time...( Year end) Bonus coming for Civil servant people....hehe

delrosa81;379459 said:
The blue and white propeller badge offers pretty good handling, comfort, day to day driving enjoyment and linear power delivery. For a family man, with a 150k budget, we could get the evo 10, STI, Civic Type R, Golf Gti, and many others with spare change.

In local context, after market resale value is pretty impt for budget conscious ppl like us, I know alot of ppl say resale value is crap but compared to brands like audi, volkswagon, etc the resale value of used Conti cars are better for Merc and Bmws, meaning we do not lose so much. So we can proceed with our next upgrade without forking out too much cash.

Also to get your family around in comfort, driving an evo or a sti may not be everyone's cup of tea, as the ride and noise levels are pretty high (If Modded which most of us do but not everyone though), thats why some people rather spend this 150 to 160k on a E60 520i instead. Power is something that everyone will NOT get enuf off. Browsing forums for the evos and stis, there will also be ppl asking, eh bro how to mod my car for more power arh? Bigger turbo, boost, etc

Asking how to mod or make ur car more powerful is a pretty common question in car forums actually and I do not understand what the fuss is about.....
:confused:

well said :)

mike211;379492 said:
Yes i am sure that the current 520i is 2.0l and inline 4 BHP156... i am a little dissapointed but too bad got it last month already so have to live with it and try not to think too much ( did not check the spec when bot , only know is a 2.0l( road tax cheaper)... Anyway i am not going to F1...so doesn't really matter on the power ... Race in TPE,PIE..etc...anytime can get ticket...Especially this period of time...( Year end) Bonus coming for Civil servant people....hehe

Don't be disappointed. Power is something that is never enough.... The 520i was not designed/marketed to be a 911-beater. It is a cruiser, and a comfortable one at that.

It is a nice mix of space, safety, price, performance and prestige. Take your 520 through the corners and it will put a smile on your face.....:evil:

TheNew7;379530 said:
Don't be disappointed. Power is something that is never enough.... The 520i was not designed/marketed to be a 911-beater. It is a cruiser, and a comfortable one at that.

It is a nice mix of space, safety, price, performance and prestige. Take your 520 through the corners and it will put a smile on your face.....:evil:

totally agree with you....

525i for sale......

High Options Model
High OMV
High COE
Low mileage

fair price. direct from owner...

luckybull;374446 said:
Hi

I jus collected my new 520i jus a week ago. Is there any power upgrades for this model? Any recommendations? considering its only a 2.0L only. Thanks.

Go check out the Volker spark plugs + ignition mod by R2D. I have them in my E90 320 and I can feel (butt dyno) better/smoother acceleration from mid to high revs.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-performance-transmission-section/23620-ignition-upgrades.html

Although the 5 is heavier then the 3, but I think it should still be able to hold its own against other naturally aspirated 2L (non-R) engines. Never had any issues in my 3er in this aspect. Oh, and the handling of a RWD is (at least to me) much more fun then a FWD. Don't just focus on the straight ahead, try the sweepers and corners. Have fun.........

rkrskr;363075 said:
I went to PML Kg Arang recently and the CSA said this noisy engine syndrome is quite a common occurrence on the 520i and 320i as both use 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engines. The engines are relatively underpowered when compared to the weight of the car, but with the high car costs here, we all have to make do with what we have. One solution is just to 'attack' the slopes at higher speeds. If not, you could leave your car for observation but I chose to forgo that option due to the downtime.

Agree that the inline-4 is not as smooth as the inline-6 engine and the inline-4 sounds like a diesel at idle :) (at least mine does, E90 320)... but the engine is certainly not noisy. It is not as vocal as the Alfa inline-4 but it sure sound nicer then most Jap inline-4 other then the R when you "kui" VTEC.

rkrskr;356478 said:
I drive a E60 520i LCI which I collected from PML last month. I have noticed that the engine gets quite loud even when the car is climbing gentle slopes, and it appears that the car is "dragging" its gears.

When you attack slops, don't your gearbox shift down at least 1 gear for you? Am surprised that you engine gets quite loud.... Just wondering if it is the reaction of the gearbox more then anything.

i found 2 set of information for the engine specs for 2009 520i (the same engine for 320i)

a. 156 bhp with 200Nm

b. 170 bhp with 210Nm (extra 14 bhp?) -> oneshift.com and google

which engine is offered by PML for 2009 520i & 320i ?

thanks

The answer is (a) 156 bhp with 200Nm.

thanks for the reply. by the way, is 170 bhp with 210Nm engine available in the market ?

if yes, why PML does not offer this model ? if yes, other countries get 170 bhp for 520 and SG get 156 bhp for 520 = not fair isn't it ?

BMWSILVER;412151 said:
The answer is (a) 156 bhp with 200Nm.

wt_know;412154 said:
thanks for the reply. by the way, is 170 bhp with 210Nm engine available in the market ?

if yes, why PML does not offer this model ? if yes, other countries get 170 bhp for 520 and SG get 156 bhp for 520 = not fair isn't it ?
Ur (b) is direct injection engine. It is not available in Asia (including Japan). Can write to BMW AG & ask why not available in Asia.

i see. thanks for the reply.

davidtch;412163 said:
Ur (b) is direct injection engine. It is not available in Asia (including Japan). Can write to BMW AG & ask why not available in Asia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back