Offset Question

chickenbackside

Legendary 10 Years
Hi guys.

I'm getting a set of 19" wheels for my FL E46 sedan and was wondering what offset is the right one. I'm running or going to run:

1) Koni FSD's with Eibach Pro springs
2) 8.5J all round
3) 235/35/19 all round

The guy said I should get the 32mm offset instead of the 38mm offset for a more aggressive look. While I agree it would be more aggressive, I think I will definitely rub.

I don't want to roll my fenders and occasionally carry 4 passengers.

Does anyone know what offset is suitable for my purposes? It also comes in less aggressive offsets than 38mm so there are quite a few choices.

Thanks!

Re: Offset Question

Wow....8.5J with 35mm offset. Dont think they can fit. Plus the steering will feel twitchy with a wider track and big alloys.

Nice meeting u last sat. Interesting choice on FSD. I was shortlisting this as replacement / upgrade for my previous sach sports kit shocks but have settled for PSS9 in the end.

Re: 235/35/19 all round, this works out to closs to rolling diameter of 225/40/18 (564 vs. 547 or 3% diff), so from this perpective it should be good. For E46 sedan, I understand it can go up to 255 max w/o rolling fender, so 235 should be ok. My offset 18" is ET38. Perhaps some other bro can comment on ET32 for 19", but I think should be fine too. Also if your offset is too conservative, u may need spacers if u wanna go BBK in future, i think.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It was good to meet you too barracudax. Alpine White always turns me on. Your car should look great now with the PSS9's and 18".

I know 19" is gonna kill my comfort, that's why I chose the FSD's to hopefully balance things out.

Anyone has anymore insights on 32mm offset?

Stay away from +32mm
The lowest you can go is +38mm for such ride w/o any issues given your requirements

Ya agree with Jack, stay away from 32mm offset.

Whether or not there will be rub is not due to the size of the rim but rather, the offset.

E46 original offset is 47mm. By going to 32mm, u r effectively widening the car's stance by a 30mm, which is a lot.

Lately, for the fun of it, i put on a 10mm spacer for my 41mm offset rims, which make it to 31mm and on the way up to Sepang, the car rub when i go over elevation, not even hump on the NS highway even though the rear was set to 2 degree camber.

IMO, the E46 max offset should be around 35mm.

chickenbackside said:
Wow. Thanks for the important piece of advice!

I will change my order to the 38mm one. If they still rub, I guess I'll have no choice but to roll my fenders...

Thanks again guys!

Rolling fender is juz a few minutes job at Lye Design. So if after using the 38 offset 19" rims and u still have to roll fender, dun be deterred.

As what Jack n Alan have said ..32mm is def a no go! sure to regret big time. Based on my experience /ride..i had previously both front n rear at ET38 and lowered on pss9. when i load four adults n going fast say on NS highway with dips n undulations the rear tryes WILL rub occasionally.

Not a big deal if u normally dont carry that many ppl in e car. The max offset from what i've read is 38mm front and 40mm rear. I'm now on a diff set rims and the ET is 40 on both front n rear.

Cheers !

chickenbackside said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

It was good to meet you too barracudax. Alpine White always turns me on. Your car should look great now with the PSS9's and 18".

I know 19" is gonna kill my comfort, that's why I chose the FSD's to hopefully balance things out.

Anyone has anymore insights on 32mm offset?

Which 19" are you getting, CH?

Thanks for the encouragement T6. I'll brave it!

I don't normally carry passengers in my car so most of the time it should be fine.

Baracudax, I'm getting a set of custom made 3-piece rims made for my car. There is non like it in Singaore (yet) I'm pretty sure. An accurate description would be CH's with polished deep dish and rivets.

Just a little comment on the new suspension (FSD's and Eibach Pro Kit springs) I installed today. I'm still running on 17" wheels.

Never thought it was possible but:

1) The drop is perfect for me. Not too low but low enough to make a huge difference in the stance of the car and not look beng.

2) It's more comfortable than stock (non-sport) suspension. Smooths out bumps better.

3) Corners flat. Corners can be attempted at much much higher speeds and the car remains relatively flat. Strangely, grip feels as if it has improved with no screeching from the tyres on the same corners I'm used to, despite the much higher speeds at which I drove through them today. I'd say a 100% improvement from stock.

I never trusted the reviews found on the net and was expecting a jarring ride but I think this comes as close to best of both worlds you can get. My best mod so far.

I'll post a review with pictures after I install my 19" rims which will arrive in roughly a month.

Congratulations on your new mod. Sounds like a winning combo for your ride. This will provide solid alternative to usual suspects that folks are used to install, ranging from sports suspensions (Sach, KW) to coilovers (PSS9/PSS, KWs 1/2/3 etc)... taxi ride next time? : )

Just wondering if folks here also install other systems like Ground Control, H&R coilovers etc.

Re: 19", still guessing what the custom 3-piece rims are.... please dun tell me they are HRE!!

HRE? I wish... Don't have that kinda $$.

They are made by a bunch rich HK Porsche enthusiasts who have a wheel cutting machine for making their own wheels for their Porsches. So you can't get them off the shelf. I just happen to bump into an old friend who have the connections...

Taxi ride anytime...

ok, now u need to show the picx of your rims...
This thread is worthless w/o pics.
So pix or ban! hurhurhur.....

wah...wheel cutting machine.... that's really convenient, no need to search and worry if rims will clear your BBK or not anymore...

I will most certainly post pics when I receive them!

When my friend showed me the protype picture, saliva started to form and dripped out of my mouth. I know wheels are a very personal thing, but this thing really spoke to me.

Since they're making it from scratch with a computer and the drill with spray thingy, I can have any offset I want, hence my post. BBK's will definitely fit although I cannot imagine wanting to install a set.

These set of wheels are definitely out of my league, but I'm a lucky guy who just happened to bump into a long lost friend who's extremely successful and well-connected.

Hi CBS, good to know that you've got the rims sorted out.

You've got paddleshift, then suspension, now rims, what's next?

I hope nothing if I care about food!

So far I've done xenons, angel eyes, clear corners, round 1 of wheels, paddleshift and suspension. When I got the car, I was perfectly happy with it (orange lights, 16" rims and all) until this forum and e46fanatics poisoned my mind, sigh...

Been toying with the idea of a body kit but unforuntely non of the kits out there are right for me. I like the subtlety of the Mtech II's but they're dime a dozen on the road. The other kits are way too loud and make the car look too ricey. I'll see if the 19" wheels look odd on an unkitted car. Will probably mix and match pieces if it looks weird. Your car looks perfect even without a kit on 18"s.

The engine mods aren't really worth doing cos the gains are too small unless I do something drastic. Well, maybe a chip. Did you get the OBIT from Shaolin in the end?

Don't like loud exhausts, so that's a no go too. The yield of CAI's is also very small and they're very sensitive to improper installation.

Thanks again for helping me install the paddleshift. Couldn't have done anything without your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubet88limited
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back