Oil temp advice

tatafish

Hi bro,

Pls advise is it normal for a 335i that the oil temp reading is 110 just slightly below 120 (centre marking) even i'm cruising in highway. Pls advise, thks

Re: Oil temp advice

Yes, and after some spirited driving, above 120 is norm.

there is no flashing of CEL.. its just the meter heading towards 120mark is quite worried.. to me oil temp of 120 is considered very high

I didn't track with this car yet at the moment perhaps it has to reach certain higher temp to activate the CEL light.

R2D;541326 said:
The CEL will not come on for elevated oil temps. But after 140deg C, your car will start to cut power output in a bid to reduce the temps.

cheers

Hmm... I will be able to cook an omelette on my bonnet!

by right 140degC the engine will be easily down, i'm pondering the meter reading reads exactly the same as what those bro are facing when they go for few laps in Sepang

I'll monitor my oil temp 2moro in Sepang (E92 335).......Will do a 3 laps warm up, then 5 laps hot to see if the oil temp breaches 130deg C mark.......

Did a 30mins hot run at 3pm just now with lots of 2nd & 3rd gear high rev along a very twisty road.......oil temp was 110deg & not going any higher......seems very good for 2moro's track day........

Will update when I get back.....

'The Great White'

wilman2772;541480 said:
I'll monitor my oil temp 2moro in Sepang (E92 335).......Will do a 3 laps warm up, then 5 laps hot to see if the oil temp breaches 130deg C mark.......

Did a 30mins hot run at 3pm just now with lots of 2nd & 3rd gear high rev along a very twisty road.......oil temp was 110deg & not going any higher......seems very good for 2moro's track day........

Will update when I get back.....

'The Great White'

Hope you had fun!

Do you have an upgraded oil cooler? 110 for 30mins of spirited driving at 3pm seems good. It just take a few sprints for my car to touch 120 in the hot afternoon but so far, it seems to max out at 120.

Kookk;541810 said:
Hope you had fun!

Do you have an upgraded oil cooler? 110 for 30mins of spirited driving at 3pm seems good. It just take a few sprints for my car to touch 120 in the hot afternoon but so far, it seems to max out at 120.

I am running 2 aftermarket oil cooler.

Any 335 modded will exceed 120 anytime......you haven't push your car hard enuf.....

Total of 20 laps at Sepang......5 laps then rest for 10 mins.

Oil Temp still hit 130 but much later at 4th lap. JB3 was running at map 7.

Once we slow down the car, the oil temp drops very fast back to 105....

'The Great White'

wilman2772;541843 said:
I am running 2 aftermarket oil cooler.

Any 335 modded will exceed 120 anytime......you haven't push your car hard enuf.....

Total of 20 laps at Sepang......5 laps then rest for 10 mins.

Oil Temp still hit 130 but much later at 4th lap. JB3 was running at map 7.

Once we slow down the car, the oil temp drops very fast back to 105....

'The Great White'

Still taking it easy as I've only been driving this car for a month and SG don't seem to have enough roads for this car. Might be going up North next month and I should be able to bring my car for a good stretch :dance:. The only power mod I got now is a JB3 on Map 3.

Where is the second oil cooler mounted? In front of the radiator?

What about the ZF gearbox? Does it suffer from any heat characteristics? Do people usually add in a transmission oil cooler for the ZF gearbox?

Thanks bro wilman for your advise, so i guess hard acceleration on street shouldn't be a problem now.. will look for oil cooler if going for track

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
777vinname

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back