"P" = Park; Why need handbrake?

Re: "P" = Park; Why need handbrake?

I think E90 use a separate brake shoes unlike sports car

Oh fark...all this while I thought P = Power !!!:ehhh:

No wonder I cant launch my car properly, everytime lose to Comfort Taxi :shakehea:

huh? I thought "P" was for pass? no meh? Am I doing something wrong?

most handbrakes in road cars do not use a clamp on the rear brake disc like for eg a ferrari's. instead it is a "drum brake" on the inner side. This is true for almost all bimmers except models like M5. I believe normal road driving will never endanger any part of your wheel/brake if you pull the handbrake after a day's driving. At least not to a significant level. Otherwise the newer model's autohandbrake thingy will all pai.

However, the increased temp while tracking at sepang, if you pull the handbrake, or similarly, instinctively holding on to your footbrakes after you pit in, will cause your pads to smoke out, or even catch fire. On normal road driving, almost never.

R2D;454354 said:
The best way is put the car to neutral, pull the handbrake sufficiently until the car stops rolling when you release the foot brake then put the transmission into Park. that way, the car does not load the driveline unnecessarily.

Cheers

Rod, accordingly to above steps:
1) Put to neutral -> 2) Pull handbrake -> 3) Release foot brake -> 4) Put to Park

I tried the above. Cannot work leh, because if we release foot brake (step 3), we cannot put our car to Park.

=> To put to Park, foot brake needs to be depressed. :sleepy:

hi robot, sorry wrote too fast. It means release the foot brake once so that the entire suspension and driveline is un-loaded.

When you yank on the handbrake after you come to a stop (without releasing the footbrake) then put to neutral then release foot brake, you will feel the rear of your car slump. That's the unloading part.

Cheers

Robot, in short, it is as follows:
1. Put to Neutral;
2. Release footbrake;
3. Pull handbrake until the car really stationery;
4. Switch off engine (turn key once);
5. Put to Park.

This is what i always do. There is no load on Park at all. When i did not pull hand brake high enuf, i could hear some sound from my park brake.

Thanks for advising, I'll try tonight!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beijingwelcome

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups