passenger side mirror goes erratic.......

knomis

Hello all.
Yet another "bring more worries"
I notice my passenger side mirror setting goes off and have mind of its own whenever I pull off my remote or key. I already disable the kerb tilt function as well as ensuring seat memory is propelly done. Still the mirror adjust on its own . ......hate it have to adjust mirror when I enter the car.

Anyone have encountered before? Solutions?
Thanks

Re: passenger side mirror goes erratic.......

Try manually adjusting the mirror by hand ..... Maybe it's out of sync with the housing.

Red_Bean_Bun;992331 said:
Try manually adjusting the mirror by hand ..... Maybe it's out of sync with the housing.

How do I know it is in sync?

Calibrate by pushing it to the position you want by hand then see if it will adjust itself when you get into the car.

Worked for one of my previous rides.

knomis;992334 said:
How do I know it is in sync?

Red_Bean_Bun;992337 said:
Calibrate by pushing it to the position you want by hand then see if it will adjust itself when you get into the car.

Worked for one of my previous rides.

Thanks for the advice.
Just tried as per suggestion. Confirmed no sync issue. Just mirror manually. Drove off. Pull off key. Mirror still moved

After manually adjusting did you save the setting ?

knomis;992401 said:
Thanks for the advice.
Just tried as per suggestion. Confirmed no sync issue. Just mirror manually. Drove off. Pull off key. Mirror still moved

i have this issue too, sometime come sometime dont come

when i press the unlock button on central console, the mirror start adjusting itself
or sometime when i take out my key too....

quite "common" problem.

the problem might be caused by some dirty connectors for the mirror motor. if you are good at DIY, can try cleaning them yourself. follow the instructions at the URL below. (you need to download the PDF file)

Fixing the phantom auto misadjusting side mirror position TSB 513608 - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

if still doesn't work after cleaning, it might be the motor or the controller gone to hardware heaven. i have spare mirror motors if you need to change the motor.

Thanks for the DIY instructions...............what i worry is that i might crack the mirror when i try to pop it off

knomis;993218 said:
Thanks for the DIY instructions...............what i worry is that i might crack the mirror when i try to pop it off

the mirror is mounted on a plastic frame so it's qutie sturdy. just choose a side which is protruding the most out (or adjust it to max angle if your can) so that you can get a bigger gap to work on. use a spoon/fork with the handle wrapped with a piece of cloth (to avoid scratching the frame) and just pry. remember to use the other hand to cover the mirror in case it drops. once one side pops, it's just a matter of pulling the mirror out. REMEMBER there are wires connected to the mirror so pull slowly.

once u get the mirror out, the painted cover can be easily removed by pushing the clips from inside. there's 4 clips so work on each one slowly.

btw, you need a torx screw driver to remove the motor. can't remember the exact size but should be 10/15.

this is a good guide. i used it for reference when i was planning to remove mine.
DIY: Side mirrors - Euro Glass swap - BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok...finally found some time to try the diy repairs.

Suprised how easy it is. Took me less that 30mins.
1) tilt mirror toward car side. Found it offers the widest gap.
2) just in case.....suction pad on mirror for secure holding.
3) squeezing fingers into gap.....I pull off the mirror . (No tools used)
Suprised how easy it came off.
4) torx 10 driver.....loosen motor and holder assy. Pull off wholeb assy.
5) spray contact cleaner and soak pin on both motor and connector side.
6) reinstall. Test ok.....now only need to monitor.

DIY is the way to go !

knomis;995098 said:
Ok...finally found some time to try the diy repairs.

Suprised how easy it is. Took me less that 30mins.
1) tilt mirror toward car side. Found it offers the widest gap.
2) just in case.....suction pad on mirror for secure holding.
3) squeezing fingers into gap.....I pull off the mirror . (No tools used)
Suprised how easy it came off.
4) torx 10 driver.....loosen motor and holder assy. Pull off wholeb assy.
5) spray contact cleaner and soak pin on both motor and connector side.
6) reinstall. Test ok.....now only need to monitor.

Wow u guys r pro...

Lim_ck, u have spare motor? U probably read my post before but my mirror auto folds outwards. Whatever I did, the mirror just folds outwards. Did bring to R2D but he only took a glimpse and said it was a motor or servo problem. Does this mean I really have to replace the whole module? I was quoted it might cost 700-900 to fix it. :(

Any tips?

I disconnected the mirror so for now it's manual fold...

Red_Bean_Bun;996596 said:
What do you mean by fold outwards ?

the side mirror instead of folding inwards..it actually folds forward. Its really quite a unique sight. Haha... :p

kevinbmw;996594 said:
Wow u guys r pro...

Lim_ck, u have spare motor? U probably read my post before but my mirror auto folds outwards. Whatever I did, the mirror just folds outwards. Did bring to R2D but he only took a glimpse and said it was a motor or servo problem. Does this mean I really have to replace the whole module? I was quoted it might cost 700-900 to fix it. :(

Any tips?

I disconnected the mirror so for now it's manual fold...

We're talking about a different motor. For folding mirrors, there is another motor in the base of the mirror assembly.
The folding mirrors motors are not meant to be replaced as this requires the mirror assembly to be taken apart. Basically there is a flanged tube which holds the 2 pieces of metal frames together and this flange needs to be destroyed to take apart the frame to reach the motor.

I believe your problem is not a motor issue since the motor is still working to turn the mirror. There is a spring loaded pin which is supposed to stop the mirror from unfolding once the correct angle is reached. I believe your problem is that the spring for this pin might be broken or it has jammed up which cause the mirror to not stop when unfolding. Again, this pin is not possible to be reached without taking apart the mirror.

The cheaper option for you is to buy a used mirror off ebay uk. Should cost less than 400 with shipping.

Guess I cant DIY to fix this right? So best option is to change the whole module?

But then i have to look for someone to install and i am not sure the assurance of it too.
maybe i shld look for a good workshop here and hopefully order a module to have it replaced. :(

kevinbmw;996834 said:
Guess I cant DIY to fix this right? So best option is to change the whole module?

But then i have to look for someone to install and i am not sure the assurance of it too.
maybe i shld look for a good workshop here and hopefully order a module to have it replaced. :(

Nope. can't DIY to fix it, whole side mirror assembly needs to be replaced. the mirror replacement can be DIY though.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88betcomvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back