Performance Brake System Squeaking

adriantn

Does your Performance Brake system squeaks? I just got a e92 recently and the front brake squeak when i apply light braking. I was told by one of the workshop that this is common among performance brake (the rotor is drilled and slotted). Any suggestion to eradicate this noise?

thanks!

Performance Brake System Squeaking

Do brake bedding in ..... Apply anti squeal grease (not on rotors or pad surface).

Re: Performance Brake System Squeaking

adriantn;985946 said:
Does your Performance Brake system squeaks? I just got a e92 recently and the front brake squeak when i apply light braking. I was told by one of the workshop that this is common among performance brake (the rotor is drilled and slotted). Any suggestion to eradicate this noise?

thanks!

Some do, some don't... Supposedly on bimmerpost, it can be quite bad...

Mine is ok, just gotta bed it in properly

Thanks chaps. The bedded in process seems to have solved my problem, now I can see a layer of blue substance on the rotor. Have a good week ahead!

adriantn;985946 said:

thanks!
I don't have such squeaking sound from my BMW Performance brakes (am with drilled & slotted).

The squeaking sound I have from my rear BMW Performance brakes (stock disc) was rectified by Munich Auto and no squeaking for the past 20,000km.

So am wondering is the workshop lacking the expertise to rectify thus say it is common among performance brakes? I really dont know :thinking:
Never had such an issue on my previous ride with performance BBK too :thinking:

Bro, can u advise the name of the advisor? May need to get help if it persist. Had another bed-in last night.
Baby1M;989426 said:
I don't have such squeaking sound from my BMW Performance brakes (am with drilled & slotted).

The squeaking sound I have from my rear BMW Performance brakes (stock disc) was rectified by Munich Auto and no squeaking for the past 20,000km.

So am wondering is the workshop lacking the expertise to rectify thus say it is common among performance brakes? I really dont know :thinking:
Never had such an issue on my previous ride with performance BBK too :thinking:

adriantn;989532 said:
Bro, can u advise the name of the advisor? May need to get help if it persist. Had another bed-in last night.

BMW dealers will apply some stuff on the rotors, which will only stop the squeal for a short time, until the coating wears off again....

Not all performance bbk will have this issue... It really have to do with the material and compound of the brake pad and discs...

Some ppl on F30post are trying to change to Hawk pads to see if that resolve the problem...

Apply the grease. It's the other part like pins etc vibrating not the pad scratching the rotors causing the squeals.

If there is a backing plate....check that too. Btw, mine it squealed like a pig for a year.

Visited 5 workshops which tried everything from bedding in for you, chamfering the edge of your pads, cleaning the caliper.

Finally I downloaded the schematics and found that the backing plate is directional. Disassembled the caliper, took the plate .... Clean it and found a little arrow etched on the surface of the plate. It is suppose to point up. It was pointed down as the last servicing.

Put the plate back and applied a bunch of grease on most of the parts except the pad and rotor surface. Then the squealing finally stopped. Lasted all the way till I sold the car. It was a Brembo but BMW perf brakes also made by Brembo.

Go disassemble the caliper and have a good look and apply the grease. Don't miss the dust covers / caps etc .....

adriantn;989356 said:
Squeaks again after 2 days..... ai....

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Bean_Bun;989599 said:
Apply the grease. It's the other part like pins etc vibrating not the pad scratching the rotors causing the squeals.

If there is a backing plate....check that too. Btw, mine it squealed like a pig for a year.

Visited 5 workshops which tried everything from bedding in for you, chamfering the edge of your pads, cleaning the caliper.

Finally I downloaded the schematics and found that the backing plate is directional. Disassembled the caliper, took the plate .... Clean it and found a little arrow etched on the surface of the plate. It is suppose to point up. It was pointed down as the last servicing.

Put the plate back and applied a bunch of grease on most of the parts except the pad and rotor surface. Then the squealing finally stopped. Lasted all the way till I sold the car. It was a Brembo but BMW perf brakes also made by Brembo.

Go disassemble the caliper and have a good look and apply the grease. Don't miss the dust covers / caps etc .....

Question, if u drive over a puddle or when it rains wun the grease end up in the pad and rotor anyway? So skating on ice?

adriantn;989532 said:
At MA, Hendrica or Wilbert.

It's not the normal type of grease.....water don't run it off. There are specific contact areas where the pins and springs, covers are, are not easily accessible to water unless the wheel submerged.

Meek;989614 said:
Question, if u drive over a puddle or when it rains wun the grease end up in the pad and rotor anyway? So skating on ice?

Mine started squealing a little when the pads are worn. Had the pads changed one day and no more noise for 3 days. Damn noise came back again so I drove it back to the shop and was advised to change the rotor as well. OK. Had them changed and walah no noise. It only lasted a week and now the squeal came back with vengeance, twice as loud. Looks like I'll have to go back to the shop again and hopefully don't have to spend more money on it. If they can't fix it this time maybe gotta go MA.

You know what I just did... Went out to do the bed in, came back no sound liao, I am lost too btw. Did the same last sat, and the squeal came back after 2 days. Hope this time can last. Could be the pad and rotor are of different operating temperature.
bimmerfly;992041 said:
Mine started squealing a little when the pads are worn. Had the pads changed one day and no more noise for 3 days. Damn noise came back again so I drove it back to the shop and was advised to change the rotor as well. OK. Had them changed and walah no noise. It only lasted a week and now the squeal came back with vengeance, twice as loud. Looks like I'll have to go back to the shop again and hopefully don't have to spend more money on it. If they can't fix it this time maybe gotta go MA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back