Piggy back or reflash ECU- which is better

MTechnic

Hi,

I am sure this thread has been discussed before . As I need some opinion so I am opening this for discussion .

Of course we need to consider what kind of mod we wish to put in our car.

Lets just assume we only change the aftermarket exhaust and Cold air intake .

So which is better? Piggy back type of reflash of ECU?

Anyway there is no correct answer as different ppl thinks differently :)

Cheers

Re: Piggy back or reflash ECU- which is better

MTechnic;909473 said:
Hi,

I am sure this thread has been discussed before . As I need some opinion so I am opening this for discussion .

Of course we need to consider what kind of mod we wish to put in our car.

Lets just assume we only change the aftermarket exhaust and Cold air intake .

So which is better? Piggy back type of reflash of ECU?

Anyway there is no correct answer as different ppl thinks differently :)

Cheers

what's your ride???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

E93 - 335 bro

You reply damn fast ya

MTechnic;909479 said:
E93 - 335 bro

You reply damn fast ya

so far most of 335i are using piggybag.................

no big compliant....
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

I noticed . But I also noticed a lot of them are selling it away ... :)

So not sure if there are problems or not

MTechnic;909484 said:

upgrading to other ride for some owner........

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

MTechnic;909484 said:

Me still using JB4,running healthy and strong:D

Piggy back easier. And can recover half the cost when you dekit. Yeah alot of people changing rides. What economy crisis?

That's true abt recovering some of the cost when u sell it.

vegadonovan;909520 said:
Piggy back easier. And can recover half the cost when you dekit. Yeah alot of people changing rides. What economy crisis?

1st choice - piggyback
2nd choice - ecu remap

piggyback - stealth mode (can remove to send car to AD for warranty claim), can demod and resell, plug and play as oppose to ecu remap

wt_know;909597 said:
1st choice - piggyback
2nd choice - ecu remap

piggyback - stealth mode (can remove to send car to AD for warranty claim), can demod and resell, plug and play as oppose to ecu remap

3rd choice: M3

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

topless 8398;909605 said:
Any M3 faster than 335:p

got to go North South Highway then will be able to know the results..........

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

My choice is as follows:

1st option - New map if going for 'non crazy' mods. For this, will only use Viezu Technologies. I m lazy and couldn't be bother with all the trouble of de-kitting to recover part of e cost. My motto is simple, if want to mod, don't bother recovering cost. If sell car, new owner can either have it as it is or request for e original map.

Just like previous ride, everything i.e. F-Con vPro & all mod parts (including a fully build engine from HKS Japan) goes along with e ride.

2nd option - Piggy bag if going for all mods as long as parts r available.

Cheers

Hi,

This is interesting ...

I would have thought if one have many mods, re mapping will be better so that it can cater for all with different type of settings. But i guess having a reputable workshop to do this is crucial else it can really screw up yr system.

Whereas a piggy bag is more or less pre set thus suitable for not so many mods.

Interesting ....

Baby1M;909650 said:
My choice is as follows:

1st option - New map if going for 'non crazy' mods. For this, will only use Viezu Technologies. I m lazy and couldn't be bother with all the trouble of de-kitting to recover part of e cost. My motto is simple, if want to mod, don't bother recovering cost. If sell car, new owner can either have it as it is or request for e original map.

Just like previous ride, everything i.e. F-Con vPro & all mod parts (including a fully build engine from HKS Japan) goes along with e ride.

2nd option - Piggy bag if going for all mods as long as parts r available.

Cheers

MTechnic;909799 said:
Hi,

This is interesting ...

I would have thought if one have many mods, re mapping will be better so that it can cater for all with different type of settings. But i guess having a reputable workshop to do this is crucial else it can really screw up yr system.

Interesting ....
Yups, both are correct :p

wt_know;909597 said:
1st choice - piggyback
2nd choice - ecu remap

Not quite true.... if you use Cobb Tuning, which is a ecu remap, it is stealth, you can remove anytime you want without opening the bulkhead cover, multiple piping and the ecu, no need to mess with wiring. AND you can resell the ecu remap.....

Basically the remap is done using a device plugged into the OBD port. Choose to install whatever maps you want or deinstall. ANd it's licensed based on one device = one car. So when you deinstall you can sell the device (called an AccessPort).

However, if you are an advanced modder and is going for methanol injection, then the piggybacks are the only way to go... Cobb Tuning being ecu remap cannot control the meth injection directly.

MTechnic;909799 said:
Hi,

This is interesting ...

Interesting ....

The piggybacks like JB4 and Procede have different maps which are suitable for different type of add-on mods. THey also can do auto-tune. So they can handle add-on mods.

Cobb tune is a self install (u install) ecu remap, they have diff maps that you can download for different add-on mods,

However, I would presume that a CUSTOM ecu remap would be able to maximize the potential of your car's config and to your specific requirements. But then you will need to remap everytime your config changes. THe rest will be a general one-size fits all for add-on mods (eg car with dp, car with dp + fmic etc).

Used to have custom ecu remap using ecutek on my prev ride. Good results, and the tuner actually didn't charge for minor changes (eg exhaust) only charged $ for major changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Read the items on Procede . Looks good.

Anyone know which workshop does this brand? So I can check it out first ...

shlim;910026 said:
The piggybacks like JB4 and Procede have different maps which are suitable for different type of add-on mods. THey also can do auto-tune. So they can handle add-on mods.

Cobb tune is a self install (u install) ecu remap, they have diff maps that you can download for different add-on mods,

However, I would presume that a CUSTOM ecu remap would be able to maximize the potential of your car's config and to your specific requirements. But then you will need to remap everytime your config changes. THe rest will be a general one-size fits all for add-on mods (eg car with dp, car with dp + fmic etc).

Used to have custom ecu remap using ecutek on my prev ride. Good results, and the tuner actually didn't charge for minor changes (eg exhaust) only charged $ for major changes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sv388zip

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back