Problem Starting My Car At Times (some remedy)

futron.sim

I am facing some strange issues starting my car at times. In the morning, I can just insert the key and crank the engine. IT will start immediately. However, when its in the afternoon (esp. when engine is hot), the car doesn't start. I need to try several times to get it starting.

My friend taught me one method and its to leave the key in 'ON' position for a few sec before cranking. Apparently, this method words and for the past 6-7 times, I can get the car starting.

What I don't understand is why do I have to do that? Are some of my electronics failing or my fuel pump having problem or what?

Re: Problem Starting My Car At Times (some remedy)

If there is no crank, it is the starter solenoid that has failed. I've encountered this problem before and the starter solenoid fails only when hot.

If you need a long crank to start, try cleaning the AFM or MAF first. If that doesn't work, try replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

futron.sim;452129 said:
I am facing some strange issues starting my car at times. In the morning, I can just insert the key and crank the engine. IT will start immediately. However, when its in the afternoon (esp. when engine is hot), the car doesn't start. I need to try several times to get it starting.

My friend taught me one method and its to leave the key in 'ON' position for a few sec before cranking. Apparently, this method words and for the past 6-7 times, I can get the car starting.

What I don't understand is why do I have to do that? Are some of my electronics failing or my fuel pump having problem or what?
how long is your morning drive before you stop and turn it off? i am suspecting that the recharging of ur batt is not functioning correctly, therefore after turning off the engine after short drives, it has problems starting again. If it is genuinely a battery issue, i suggest u dun leave the key in the ignition slot for too long as the key drains power.

Slater;452144 said:
how long is your morning drive before you stop and turn it off? i am suspecting that the recharging of ur batt is not functioning correctly, therefore after turning off the engine after short drives, it has problems starting again. If it is genuinely a battery issue, i suggest u dun leave the key in the ignition slot for too long as the key drains power.

If it's a batt problem, it won't start immediately when cold.

futron...refer to this for troubleshooting.

BMW starter motor faults and problems

Thanks for the replies! The engine does crank but it doesn't fire up. Thats the problem I am facing wierd....

Don't think it's the battery or it will be a clicking sound or no sound.
Don't think it's the fuel pump either but you can have it tested by your mechanic - fuel rail pressure tapped off the nipple.

Could be due to the engine being flooded on a warm day and hence needs a long crank to start. Clean your MAF and check your plugs?

Just wondering if your problem is solved??

My car is experiencing almost the same problem as yours. In the morning, its easier to start but in the afternoon, it cranks for a long time before starting. The engine will start eventually though.

I've checked with my own workshop but they did checks and can't seem to find any problem with my parts. Am contemplating sending back to PML but I am half hearted as they never get things done.

Please advise on any updates on solving your problem.

if the engine cranks, then check for ignition n fuel.

how to check? you would probably need those ODBII devices. it would display fuel pump status, injector duration etc... then you would find out the true cause of your hard starting when the engine is warmed up.

it's a common issue with many cars, some fix it by changing the fuel pump, fuel pump, some by re-programming the ECU, some is because of a faulty sparkplug,... etc.

and then sometimes, it's just like that.

OK, some updates. The problem is not fixed but from what I have gathered, its most likely due to ECU. Its not ECU faulty but the tuning could be off. When engine is cold, the injectors will spray more fuel to atempt to get the engine running (of couse, injectors are controlled by ECU).

But when the engine is warm (could be due to warm weather etc), the ECU may be spraying insufficient fuel (due to sensors reading warmer air and engine), thus even though the engine cranks etc, the cark has problem starting.

For my exp! they have some reason to have this problem!
1. Air Flow not work well!
2. ideling valve fault
3. crank shaft sensor fault
this is the three common problem for BMW!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stmstat
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back