Problems with e85 Z4

Silver_Z

Sorry. I believe there are threads with same topic, but however the search feature does not allow me to search for Z4. And having one thru pages with no info, is killing my eyes.

Anyway, I am looking at buying a used Z4 2.5i, and would appreciate information of common problems I will expect from this car.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problems with e85 Z4

Silver_Z;648091 said:
Sorry. I believe there are threads with same topic, but however the search feature does not allow me to search for Z4. And having one thru pages with no info, is killing my eyes.

Anyway, I am looking at buying a used Z4 2.5i, and would appreciate information of common problems I will expect from this car.

Thanks in advance.

Roof motors & Vanos seals ..............

Touch wood, but my used Z4 (slightly over 3 yrs old) has not given me any problems yet, after a month of ownership.

Get your used car inspected at an independent workshop (I went to one of the site sponsors here) before buying, and make sure your deposit is refundable should the workshop identify ANY problems that you choose not to accept.

Hope to see you around with the Z4. :)

Thanks guys!

Roof and Vanos seal only? hmm...

Vanos seal problem only affects the Z4? The M54 or N52, or all Vanos engine?

Member since 2005, and I am still "New Member". lol!

No SMG. Just a normal 2.5 facelift model.

Can the automatic top be controlled by the key remote?

How many keys should I expect?

And are they normal looking keys or special keys(retractable, flip, etc)?

I had problems with my soft top. Recently fixed it. The car's going to 7years and some parts will definitely wear and tear. Fixed coolant leak and replaced the lower arm bushings too.

If i'm not wrong Z4 facelift fixed the soft top issue..
In all, i really love the Z4 and it has been a really awesome ride. It does not go out of style at all! You can never go wrong!!

Good luck! :)

PS: The only issue i had is that the car is going 7years and COE prices ain't going down. Time to change :p

cupholders;648199 said:
I had problems with my soft top. Recently fixed it. The car's going to 7years and some parts will definitely wear and tear. Fixed coolant leak and replaced the lower arm bushings too.

If i'm not wrong Z4 facelift fixed the soft top issue..
In all, i really love the Z4 and it has been a really awesome ride. It does not go out of style at all! You can never go wrong!!

Good luck! :)

PS: The only issue i had is that the car is going 7years and COE prices ain't going down. Time to change :p

Agreed with you.....................................but
i thought new car COE also high?????

cheers

Thanks cupholders!

What happen to the top? Was it the motor? I used to have the Del Sol, and the motor for the top broke. Kah Motors quoted me $4k to replace the entire assembly. But from the sound of it, the motor was running, just that probably 1 of the gears in it broke. however they do not replace the little parts in it and require to replace the whole system. -.-"

Coolant leak require a change of the radiator? My current car has the radiator replaced due to crack, and it is supposed to be a common problem. >.<

Bushings are normal wear and tears right? cost a couple of hundreds? I did that once on my E36.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver_Z;648185 said:

Should still be the standard non-retractable key...

The soft top can be remotely opened by the key, but cannot be closed the same way. This was apparently a safety feature, but I understand the E89's hard-top can be both opened and closed remotely by the key!

There are however aftermarket solutions offered by GapTech and Reinhold Engineering. I went with the former and it works as advertised - one-touch opening and closing of roof via remote. :)

It's either the z4 has a lot of prob or the 730li no prob! I ask the same qn bt no reply in my thread :(

privi;648398 said:
It's either the z4 has a lot of prob or the 730li no prob! I ask the same qn bt no reply in my thread :(

Hi Privi,

understand your concern of purchasing an used car......i think is pretty straight forward as used car or slightly older ride the wear and tear are unavoidable unless previous owner has changed those wear and tear parts...........the mileage is important as well when looking for a used ride, very much also depend on the tender loving care given to the ride by the previous owner whether he/she maintain his car well enough plus driving style of the previous owner............

hope that helps.............................don't flame me........
happy searching for your 730i...
cheers

Silver_Z;648185 said:

Normal keys ......

Silver_Z;648249 said:
Thanks cupholders!

What happen to the top? Was it the motor? I used to have the Del Sol, and the motor for the top broke. Kah Motors quoted me $4k to replace the entire assembly. But from the sound of it, the motor was running, just that probably 1 of the gears in it broke. however they do not replace the little parts in it and require to replace the whole system. -.-"

Coolant leak require a change of the radiator? My current car has the radiator replaced due to crack, and it is supposed to be a common problem. >.<

Bushings are normal wear and tears right? cost a couple of hundreds? I did that once on my E36.

Rooftop Repair :
Motor hydraulics and the Arm hydraulic oil was leaking
Total Cost of repair: $2800... and it's still undergoing repair.. Can't seem to fix the problem. Boss quoted that parts for the E85 is very difficult to find nowadays.

Coolant Leak:
Coolant leaked all over the floor, Like urine. Super embarrassing when it happened in School... Found that the container holding the coolant had a hole, Rubber hose wear and tear too.
Total cost of repair: $800, inclusive of Towing.

Hope this helps.

Ok... Collecting car next week! :inlove:

Ohh.... Is the chasis so rigid that when sideways incline can hear under carriage creaking?

My 5th BMW!

Silver_Z;651970 said:
Ok... Collecting car next week! :inlove:

Ohh.... Is the chasis so rigid that when sideways incline can hear under carriage creaking?

My 5th BMW!

Congrats, finally..........

cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back