Prompt to top up engine oil

Bentanlh70

Today my onboard computer prompted me to top up 1 litre of engine oil.

According to the computer, I am still about 1200km to the next servicing.

The last oil change was early Jan 2021, so it's about 7 months now.

Should I just top up first or straightaway schedule the next oil change?

by the way, my engine temperature still runs normal even after 1.5 hours of continuous driving. it's at about 95-100 deg.

Previously I had this message on my E60 7K after oil change. After that after 6K, then 5k until buay tahan.

engine bay also have funny burning smell. early morning have white smoke coming out of exhaust. Turns out engine oil leaking within.

change all the engine gaskets, use thicker engine oil etc but did not solve, turns out to be just worn out valve seals, which is less than S$30 for a set at Eng Soon!!!!!!

Previously I had this message on my E60 7K after oil change. After that after 6K, then 5k until buay tahan.

engine bay also have funny burning smell. early morning have white smoke coming out of exhaust. Turns out engine oil leaking within.

change all the engine gaskets, use thicker engine oil etc but did not solve, turns out to be just worn out valve seals, which is less than S$30 for a set at Eng Soon!!!!!!

went to top up this morning. workshop did a cursory check in the engine bay and did not find any sign of leakage. however, we did not check the underside. will do so at the next servicing which is about 1 month away.

sorry to learn that you have to spend so much unnecessarily before the root cause was found. it can be very frustrating if i were in your shoes.

went to top up this morning. workshop did a cursory check in the engine bay and did not find any sign of leakage. however, we did not check the underside. will do so at the next servicing which is about 1 month away.

sorry to learn that you have to spend so much unnecessarily before the root cause was found. it can be very frustrating if i were in your shoes.
Ya, it was very frustrating. The leaks were all internal, not external, thats why couldnt see any form of oil stains on the outside..

All BMWs consume engine oil the question is just how much. Normally 1L in-between servicing is normal anything more then that warrants an in depth check.

All BMWs consume engine oil the question is just how much. Normally 1L in-between servicing is normal anything more then that warrants an in depth check.

that's what i read in other forums as well. but i find that bmw oil change interval is really short compared to other brands. this means higher costs and more inconveniences to owners. i only get about 8K+ kms between each servicing

Depends on how you drive it actually according to BMW the service interval depends on driving style.

Depends on how you drive it actually according to BMW the service interval depends on driving style.

I am not an aggressive driver, but I do have more city than highway driving. Compared to my earlier cars, the service interval is shorter indeed. I think BMs really need TLC.

Internal oil “leaks” ”loss” is usually burning of engine oil due to worn out items mainly
1) pcv leak
2) valve stem seals

N52 non turbo, now 123,000km 10 years old.
still No oil loss. Don’t see any problem with oil loss as there is non. Keep it will maintained not a problem.

changing oil at 7000km keeps engine in good shape and less wear of moving parts keeping things tight.

Internal oil “leaks” ”loss” is usually burning of engine oil due to worn out items mainly
1) pcv leak
2) valve stem seals

N52 non turbo, now 123,000km 10 years old.
still No oil loss. Don’t see any problem with oil loss as there is non. Keep it will maintained not a problem.

changing oil at 7000km keeps engine in good shape and less wear of moving parts keeping things tight.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe turbo will makan oil faster. Nevertheless, I will still get it check out during next servicing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikvip9fit

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back