Query on Powerbox

snappy

Hi guys, has anyone ordered BMS Powerbox from Amazon before? What's the difference between Boss Motorsports PBX vs US PBX? Although Boss Motorsports claims their PBX is tuned for local usage, how true is that? The price difference is double in SG, so I 'm actually thinking of importing one from US.
Also, is it true that PBX helps to save petrol if driven lightly?
Thanks guys

Re: Query on Powerbox

eh...i think it comes with standard maps but guess u can check with boss to see what local tweaking they might have for that and so far i haven't heard anybody say can save petrol cos most will whack the car after installation....hahaha

Why go thru the hassle to save a few hundred bucks and knowing the installation will cost much more than u get it from boss. In addition, what able service support and warranty? To me, i dun feel its worth the trouble.... I have fixed up a yr back after my good friends from this forum told me its the "best mod". i stood by that statement. Simply irristable not to tap a lighter harder on my accelerator...

James

snappy;700210 said:
Hi guys, has anyone ordered BMS Powerbox from Amazon before? What's the difference between Boss Motorsports PBX vs US PBX? Although Boss Motorsports claims their PBX is tuned for local usage, how true is that? The price difference is double in SG, so I 'm actually thinking of importing one from US.
Also, is it true that PBX helps to save petrol if driven lightly?
Thanks guys

there's a bro selling it in the used part section......you may check it out.

cheers

James1500;700220 said:
Why go thru the hassle to save a few hundred bucks and knowing the installation will cost much more than u get it from boss. In addition, what able service support and warranty? To me, i dun feel its worth the trouble.... I have fixed up a yr back after my good friends from this forum told me its the "best mod". i stood by that statement. Simply irristable not to tap a lighter harder on my accelerator...

James

No offence bro, but I feel that it has been overpriced by them. There are other local workshops selling the set at a much lower price then them. Unless they can prove that a set that is bought directly from US has a lower bhp gain than what they have, then it justifies the price they charged.

ac323;700256 said:
there's a bro selling it in the used part section......you may check it out.

cheers
Thanks bro... The price he selling... can pay a bit more get brand new with installation...

Hi bro, I was thinking of the same thing, buying from Amazon or directly from Burgertuning. The price is less than half of what Boss is charging. And also pretty skeptical over the fact that they managed to tweak the PB to suit local climate and petrol grade :thinking::errrrrrr:

I've emailed to burgertuning and Boss to find out more info...

This is what I gathered : Burger won't sell any PB to Spore, not even from Amazon because of a contractual agreement with Boss. In other words, u can't get it from US unless u have an address in US and get it shipped there or u fly there to buy it or.....

Info from Boss is that they claimed the PB has a different firmware which was co-developed with Burgertuning and that the US spec PB will not give you as much Hp...:sleepy: Well...it's up to u to believe them as there is no dyno chart whatsoever to prove..... Well...it's too much premium for this claim. remember they used to charge 1K+

One thing I haven't found out is that whether Boss is willing to install an US spec PB, if they are, what will be the charges, is it still worth it in there end....:errmm:

James1500;700220 said:

James

Agree with Bro James not worth saving the few hundred bucks and go thru the hassles... Thou there is a way of getting the PB from US, one could use borderlinx/vpost. But you might wanna put the shipping fee & GST into the calculation also. Not forgetting you have will need a reliable workshop for the installation. And don't forget in the event anything screw up, the workshop might pin point its your PB that is giving you problem, blah blah blah... For peace of mind, I will rather go to BOSS. Chop chop a few hrs installation, drive off with additional BHP and whack... Not happy with the performance got 7days $$$ back guarantee somemore, and warrenty as well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Centurion9990;700326 said:
Agree with Bro James not worth saving the few hundred bucks and go thru the hassles... Thou there is a way of getting the PB from US, one could use borderlinx/vpost. But you might wanna put the shipping fee & GST into the calculation also. Not forgetting you have will need a reliable workshop for the installation. And don't forget in the event anything screw up, the workshop might pin point its your PB that is giving you problem, blah blah blah... For peace of mind, I will rather go to BOSS. Chop chop a few hrs installation, drive off with additional BHP and whack... Not happy with the performance got 30days $$$ back guarantee somemore, and warrenty as well...

30mins....

cheers

ac323;700327 said:
30mins....

cheers

That's even shorter than my morning shitting time while reading newspaper :goodup:

so what if the product goes kaput or got quality problem? how abt installation?
had a nasty experience buying from cargym in my earlier bmw days....so if difference is not alot, i rather do local*

*disclaimer: as long as the product available locally is not priced at some obscene price

jylam;700320 said:
Hi bro, I was thinking of the same thing, buying from Amazon or directly from Burgertuning. The price is less than half of what Boss is charging. And also pretty skeptical over the fact that they managed to tweak the PB to suit local climate and petrol grade :thinking::errrrrrr:

I've emailed to burgertuning and Boss to find out more info...

This is what I gathered : Burger won't sell any PB to Spore, not even from Amazon because of a contractual agreement with Boss. In other words, u can't get it from US unless u have an address in US and get it shipped there or u fly there to buy it or.....

Info from Boss is that they claimed the PB has a different firmware which was co-developed with Burgertuning and that the US spec PB will not give you as much Hp...:sleepy: Well...it's up to u to believe them as there is no dyno chart whatsoever to prove..... Well...it's too much premium for this claim. remember they used to charge 1K+

One thing I haven't found out is that whether Boss is willing to install an US spec PB, if they are, what will be the charges, is it still worth it in there end....:errmm:

Have been buying more than $20k worth of stuffs from Amazon for the past few years. Been using Borderlinx to ship my stuff back.

Centurion9990;700326 said:
Agree with Bro James not worth saving the few hundred bucks and go thru the hassles... Thou there is a way of getting the PB from US, one could use borderlinx/vpost. But you might wanna put the shipping fee & GST into the calculation also. Not forgetting you have will need a reliable workshop for the installation. And don't forget in the event anything screw up, the workshop might pin point its your PB that is giving you problem, blah blah blah... For peace of mind, I will rather go to BOSS. Chop chop a few hrs installation, drive off with additional BHP and whack... Not happy with the performance got 30days $$$ back guarantee somemore, and warrenty as well...

There won't be GST as item is less than SGD$400. Shipping charge is less than $30, so total is about SGD$400. According to burgertuning, installation is quite easy. But reaching the ecu is not. If managed to find a workshop to do it for $50-$100, means I'm saving $300!
Also, there's another workshop selling it for $600 only.

But I'm still thinking is whether is it neccesary for my ride... Driving E65, so always on ah pek driving style most of the time...

I know boss controlled pb in sg and i dun know which workshop is that u r refering. Anyway, its your choice, if u r so bend on saving $, then just go ahead. All i can say is, its a very good mod n gd luck to your amazon shipment.

James1500;700356 said:
I know boss controlled pb in sg and i dun know which workshop is that u r refering. Anyway, its your choice, if u r so bend on saving $, then just go ahead. All i can say is, its a very good mod n gd luck to your amazon shipment.

not really....there are other workshops doing PB too....i guess this kinda thing can't control.
end of the day, assuming the same product, its not just price....its the service level, from pre-sales to after sales and warranty, not to mention the product knowledge and any other value added service etc.

both sellers n buyers should manage their expectations.
sellers need to determine for themselves the "right" pricing without seeming overpriced in this age of internet where prices can be easily found.
as for buyers, pls do not expect ebay prices and immediate service and warranty that kinda stuff if u are not prepared to pay the amount. u probably be puking blood like me back then when i was dealing with cargym for the faulty taillight...act blur, deny, finally agree to it but ask me bear shipping...knn
for ppl who buys local, u can rest assured that at least there's someone to turn to when the product has problem, or somebody to take care of the installation process from product in the box to installation and customization and troubleshooting if any. if u want somewhat headache free, buy local. if u have the experience of doing overseas purchase and have a good local workshop to support u....why not? it will be fun.
for most bros, i think we will rather pay the extra 100-200 for peace of mind....hehe

sszone;700366 said:
not really....there are other workshops doing PB too....i guess this kinda thing can't control.
end of the day, assuming the same product, its not just price....its the service level, from pre-sales to after sales and warranty, not to mention the product knowledge and any other value added service etc.

both sellers n buyers should manage their expectations.
sellers need to determine for themselves the "right" pricing without seeming overpriced in this age of internet where prices can be easily found.
as for buyers, pls do not expect ebay prices and immediate service and warranty that kinda stuff if u are not prepared to pay the amount. u probably be puking blood like me back then when i was dealing with cargym for the faulty taillight...act blur, deny, finally agree to it but ask me bear shipping...knn
for ppl who buys local, u can rest assured that at least there's someone to turn to when the product has problem, or somebody to take care of the installation process from product in the box to installation and customization and troubleshooting if any. if u want somewhat headache free, buy local. if u have the experience of doing overseas purchase and have a good local workshop to support u....why not? it will be fun.
for most bros, i think we will rather pay the extra 100-200 for peace of mind....hehe

Totally agreed. Peace of mind is the key.

I went through a similar thought process recently,

I installed the PB in my wife's 125i and it works wonders together with BMW Performance air intake/exhaust - hence the mod is definitely worth the $800 or $500.

The question is whether the time taken to arrange (and waiting) for the shipment, the risk of damage, hassle of looking for the workshop and risk of the PB not working well, etc is worth the price difference of $300.

I went with Boss and had no regrets. :). A compromise may be to get from the "parallel" workshop or the seller of the 2nd hand PB. I personnally dealt with the seller and he is a great guy.

Enjoy the PB mod! Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back