question about gearbox .. (E36)

sam1741

hi all....
i driving E36 318 (M) M43...

how to know.. which gearbox is featured in my car..
is it getrag .. or other gearbox? (i think bmw got come out with few versions?)

than... i wan to ask..
i have difficulties shift to 2nd gear, and 5th gear
is this normal?
the gear feel soft and not percise.. sometimes i dono if i am in 3rd or at 5th
than, even if i engage in gear , the gear knob still can be swing left n right .. about 2.5inch ...

is there anything need to be change... ?

thanks in advance

Re: question about gearbox .. (E36)

Usually your getbox is Getrag. The other brand commonly used in BMW cars is ZF. But all E36 318 should be using Getrag.

Regarding your difficulty in engaging the gear, I believe is due to worn out synchromesh. I don't think there is much you can do about it other than a gearbox replacement or rebuilt.

so... this means...
need the gearbox rebuild...
need a lot of cash already..

Sim,

Any idea how much will it cost for the rebuild? I only experience diffculty in engaging 5th gear after a jam requires some effort, me also driving an e36 316i manual. Any reliable or workshop well verse for this kind of job?

Thanks.

"the gear feel soft and not percise.. sometimes i dono if i am in 3rd or at 5th
than, even if i engage in gear , the gear knob still can be swing left n right .. about 2.5inch ...

is there anything need to be change... ?"

Maybe need to change the bushing for the free play.

i also have no idea , how much it cost for the rebuild...
hope someone here can help out

btw..
there is 2nd problem...

there is one time... (and few times the previous owner told me)
i press the clutch, than the gear wont go in
reverse cannot, 1st and 2nd also cannot
anyone got this problem before?

seems like many problem..

sam1741;401366 said:
btw..
there is 2nd problem...

there is one time... (and few times the previous owner told me)
i press the clutch, than the gear wont go in
reverse cannot, 1st and 2nd also cannot
anyone got this problem before?

seems like many problem..

Does this happen when you have left the car overnite and start it in the morning? As for me I put into fifth gear shift down to 4th and then can get in to 1st gear. This does not happen all then time.
Have consulted a mechanic on this and has suggested to get a used gear box(does not gaurantee that the problem will go away.) Thats y I'm wondering wats the cost for the overhaul for manual gear box.

for my case
this happened once,
after i park the car, when wan to move
suddently cannot... all gear cannot engage..
than after few minutes, its back to normal

I've experienced the same problem before on my previous 316, there're times when I cant engage gears or shift out of an existing gear. Not sure if it's the same problem you're facing, but it could be a clutch problem or a synchromesh problem.

For me, I changed the clutch pump and all went back to normal, so you may want to try that first. It's a cheap fix, spent less than S$500 including labour.

try pumping the clutch a few times in the morning before you engage the gear in the morning
... just pump it pump it till it get's in...

clutch pump is one of the culprit, but cost less than 40 buck and another couple of bucks to get it fix and bled! do note there are 2 clutch pumps, master or slave....
normally its the one under the car beside the gearbox

had my gearbox changed recently from my E30... and clutch plate and housing; now all good!
changed the clutch pump too, it was leaking...

good luck

You may want to change your clutch pump, clutch plate and bearings first. Most prob your problem will be solve with these changes.

oic
so there might be most probably problem with the clutch pump , bearing

so according to the orders, i will take my car to check the following from first to later
1. clutch pump, bearing
2. bushing and bearing below the shift stick (i read from the repair manual)
3 synchromesh (big problem?)

... seems like will be a lot of work needed

dpointt;401388 said:
try pumping the clutch a few times in the morning before you engage the gear in the morning
... just pump it pump it till it get's in...

clutch pump is one of the culprit, but cost less than 40 buck and another couple of bucks to get it fix and bled! do note there are 2 clutch pumps, master or slave....
normally its the one under the car beside the gearbox

had my gearbox changed recently from my E30... and clutch plate and housing; now all good!
changed the clutch pump too, it was leaking...

good luck

Wow.......... machiam EXPERT........ Zen Auto teach you 1 ah??? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

There is only 1 place in SG then can rebuild a gearbox and put a warrenty on it. I can search for you the address but be prepared to pay at least $2k. Research on what the guys say first. Let getting a replacement gearbox, and rebuilding be the last resort.

If morning start or after parking awhile hard to engage into gears.... change oil for gearbox....
If engine and gearbox hot but hard to engage check clutch system and swinging side to side when in gear for gearstick check bushings

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubbio

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back