Question: Sports mode

r01

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
hey bros, just want to check if having sports mode on increases fuel consumption? if not is it ok to on sports on everyday during daily drives? has anyone tried?

Re: Question: Sports mode

just go for it. more fuel consumption is a side effect, since the car tends to hold the gear before shifting up... loads of ppl use the sports mode daily.. haha... i use it when i want to overtake... just flick in shift down and accelerate. cheers.

nYteMarE;243013 said:
just go for it. more fuel consumption is a side effect, since the car tends to hold the gear before shifting up... loads of ppl use the sports mode daily.. haha... i use it when i want to overtake... just flick in shift down and accelerate. cheers.

Will driving daily on sports mode increase wear and tear on the gearbox??

Very big difference between sports and E mode for my 320 and hence i drive with sports mode on all the time....

i've no idea.. someone else shld be able to answer it.. but then again.. i'm of the sch of thought that the car has to be redlined every once in a while.... so i do shift aggressively when i'm all alone and there's no other traffic around...

actually i want to know more on SMG mode if theres a difference inbetween..i dont know if it is psychological but it seems like the fuel consumption increase lol..

I think it is good that we should drive it in the SPORT MODE once in a while. It will help the car to "breathe" and will help the car to be a bit more responsive. BMW car are designed for such treatment so I do not think it will damage the engine or cause excessive premature wear and tear. I am not very sure maybe some old bird here can comment on this?:whythis:

sports mode must always be left on, in fact if i could, i would weld the button in that mode

it wont hurt anything

Sports mode is good if one is in "chiong" mode...if u just want a relaxed drive, sports mode keeping the revs high makes the ride rather jerky.

for non-M BMWs, and non-7series, sport mode ONLY changes the transmission map, causing higher revs for both engine braking and change gear at highest possible rpm.

On M, sport mode also changes engine map and, if available, suspension stiffness by way of damper valve closing.

On 7-series, where available, sport mode also changes suspension stiffness by way of rotating the anti-roll bar to lower car roll.

Transmission life will be reduced for sure, but not by any appreciable amount for normal use.
Fuel consumption definitely hit but depends on your right foot. FOr me, about 1litre/100km.

I turn sport mode off all the time for this reason.

hoks;243560 said:
Sports mode is good if one is in "chiong" mode...if u just want a relaxed drive, sports mode keeping the revs high makes the ride rather jerky.

I'm of the same opinion as hoks, normal CTE driving (which most times are at crawling pace) u can forget abt it unless u wanna close the gap quickly to prevent others from cutting in but i still do put it on fm time to time just to feel that kick. Sports mode good for b road drives up Kuantan,etc, NS highway and of coz at e track...feels damn shiok !

yep... i sports mode from time to time... anyway, the tranny will die at about 150,000km... most of the bros here dont take one car for so long anyway...

caySman;243590 said:
for non-M BMWs, and non-7series, sport mode ONLY changes the transmission map....

Funny, I could have sworn that in sport mode my steering weight loads up as well, besides the transmission mapping change.

I used the DS mode when I get poked by STIs and EVOs:) .

Use it brother...i mean haidee !

i usually will flick to D then downshift before overtaking. considered manual?

Breyton;246077 said:
Funny, I could have sworn that in sport mode my steering weight loads up as well, besides the transmission mapping change.
guess I forgot about all those cars with electric power steering, where it would add to the steering load as well.

Izzit true that the Sport mode allow you to hold the gear eg: 3 gear for you to speed in order to overtake the car and Economy mode will allow you to cruise as normal as yours is 4 speed (1st gear, 2nd gear & so on)???

Ok, someone told me that if install sprint booster, will screw up the ECU and also the SPORTS Mode settings, anyone could advise?

Sports mode increase FC... on SM ur 3rd gear can rev up to almost 7k (thts wat i exp). im not sure bout the steering or suspension if they change or anithing cos i on SM to chase Stupid jap cars like rx, evo or rex... etc... hahaha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back