Quiet Tires to recommend?

Re: Quiet Tires to recommend?

Hi all,

Why not try the Pirelli Dragon ? Cheap and quiet. Grip wise is still acceptable, better than Aspec dB.

225/40/18 costs about $230/piece so if for 17", will be cheaper.

thx

Opvaulet,

So far I used the Bridgestone barely 50km only. I am a typical city-cruiser, so am not looking for a performance tyre, though I do hit 120 to 130 along CTE (midnight going home cases).

I do find the Briegestone very quiet, compared to the earlier stock CSC. My ride is 318, the last batch of the Sports Edition.

Had my damaged tyre replaced. They had the wheel spinned and I saw no wobble or unusual uneven weight balance.

Hi Folks,
Anyone try the Mich Pilot Sports 2.. Am thinking of changing my 18". Check around cost is $530 each..very ex.. Have read somewhere before it's got good grip, comfy ride but pricey..

blacky

price is too high i think ,i happen to see a report from germany called Auto Bild which show there is a brand Hankook from Korea model Ventus Sport which has higher recommendation than the michelinsport 2 .

MapleLeaf said:
Opvaulet,

So far I used the Bridgestone barely 50km only. I am a typical city-cruiser, so am not looking for a performance tyre, though I do hit 120 to 130 along CTE (midnight going home cases).

I do find the Briegestone very quiet, compared to the earlier stock CSC. My ride is 318, the last batch of the Sports Edition.

Had my damaged tyre replaced. They had the wheel spinned and I saw no wobble or unusual uneven weight balance.

That's great. just sent you a PM.

Thanks,

blacky said:
Hi folks,
Check this tyre ratng site

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

They rated Dunlop Sport Maxx #1. Mich PS2 only #3.

Have been reading up and some bro here swear by the Dunlops SportMaxx.. Not sure if anyone know the price for 245/40 R18" for the Dunlop SportMaxx. What's est. cost ??

Tks,
I got mine at $250 from Poh Heng Tyres.

Anyone knows whats the equivalent name of Bridgestone GR80 on tirerack? Or is GR80 only spec'ed for Asia?

blacky
I m on 225/40/18 255/35/18 Dunlop SportMaxx and got em for SGD 1,170 from South East tires 3mths ago. It's the best value for money tires I have ever bought.

TripleM said:
blacky
I m on 225/40/18 255/35/18 Dunlop SportMaxx and got em for SGD 1,170 from South East tires 3mths ago. It's the best value for money tires I have ever bought.

Thanks for your comments. i know these are UHP tires but how does it fare on ride and noise? what's your ride? many thanks,

UHP tires are typically harsher on rides compared to their lower performance grade siblings. As for noise level, other than the compound/tread design, an equally important factor causing it is the profile of the tires. The lower, the noisier.

The quietest and most comfortable UHP tire available today is undoubtedly Michelin Pilot Sports2. I have tried it and can vouch for it. Many would agree with me.

As for the Dunlop tires, I have them on my Z4.
They are quiet but ride is a little hard as expected. However, I dont think it's as hard as SO-3 tho.

FYI, another good one to look at is the latest Falken flaghip 452, whose tread design is very similar to SportMaxx.

TripleM said:
UHP tires are typically harsher on rides compared to their lower performance grade siblings. As for noise level, other than the compound/tread design, an equally important factor causing it is the profile of the tires. The lower, the noisier.

The quietest and most comfortable UHP tire available today is undoubtedly Michelin Pilot Sports2. I have tried it and can vouch for it. Many would agree with me.

As for the Dunlop tires, I have them on my Z4.
They are quiet but ride is a little hard as expected. However, I dont think it's as hard as SO-3 tho.

FYI, another good one to look at is the latest Falken flaghip 452, whose tread design is very similar to SportMaxx.

Unfortunately i have no experience with these tires. but i was impressed with Toyo T1-R, 19" on a e46. terrific!

Try Falken Azenis ST 115 or Ziex 512.... very quiet. Performance also not bad....

Not sure if they are expensive in Spore.....

I think they just launched FK 452, heard its superb....

opvaulet said:
Unfortunately i have no experience with these tires. but i was impressed with Toyo T1-R, 19" on a e46. terrific!

Oh yes, In US M3 forum, that is one of the favourites.
Who carries those tires here? Stamford?

TripleM said:
Oh yes, In US M3 forum, that is one of the favourites.
Who carries those tires here? Stamford?

Can you get Toyo T1-R in Spore........ ?

eddie said:
Can you get Toyo T1-R in Spore........ ?

Sure. in fact been in an e46 valvetronic with T1-R's at 19 inch and ride and noise was amazingly low. Friend fitted same to legacy GT also reported amazing quietness and ride, along with the usual UHP characterisitics. I also tried a new Opel Zafira 2 with these tires. Ditto.

Mapleleaf gave ma a ride on his e46 with Bridgestone GR80 17inch. wisper quiet indeed. thanks Maple leaf

opvaulet
So who carries Toyo T1-R here?

MapleLeaf said:
I just got four pieces of Bridgstone Turanza GR80 yesterday. 225/45R17. $1,000
Very quiet indeed. So, happily, I went cruising along ECP last night.

At 120km/h, PONG (explosion sound).... a tyre came FLYING OFF the rim!

Now I need a lawyer.

MapleLeaf,

I am decding which tyres to change to and is seriously considering the GR80. My ride is also the E46 sport edition. The front tyres are 225 and the rear 245. Did you get all 4 225? Could all 4 tires be 225 in this case?

I am using all four 225. I think in an earlier post in this same thread, somebody did mention that by changing to 4 x 225, we are not taking full advantage of the staggered stepup.

Having 225 on the rear means the edge of the rim will be slightly further out of the tyre - the rear rim size being 8.5 (front: 8 inch). But don't get mistaken that having 4 x 225 means you can rotate your tyres. Because the rims are of different width, you have to remove the tyres from the rims and not just rotate with the rims.

I ask PML for their comments and their "standard" reply - if you do not revert to factory-default, you might jeopardise your warranty.

I have no problem with 4 x 225.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ok9tools
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back