Radiator Check Light

racingaprilia

Hi to all,

my radiator checklight popped up last nite. i went to open the cap and found the coolen level low. however my friend advised me to fill up with water, telling me its good enough.

wanna check with you guys is it true that water alone mixed with whatever left inside is sufficient?

Or should i just buy the coolen off petrol kiosk shelf to fill it up?

Do i need to drain the leftovers 1st or can just pour the coolen inside?

need some pointers from you guys.

regards
racingaprilia

Re: Radiator Check Light

I usually just use regular old water. But you could buy a bottle of premixed coolant and top up.

once a year i flush out system and top up with new coolant etc

racingaprilia;364108 said:
Hi to all,

my radiator checklight popped up last nite. i went to open the cap and found the coolen level low. however my friend advised me to fill up with water, telling me its good enough.

wanna check with you guys is it true that water alone mixed with whatever left inside is sufficient?

Or should i just buy the coolen off petrol kiosk shelf to fill it up?

Do i need to drain the leftovers 1st or can just pour the coolen inside?

need some pointers from you guys.

regards
racingaprilia

If it ever happens to me, filling up with water alone only temporary solve the problem. There must be a reason why the coolant level is low. I think it is better to get to the root of the problem rather than just patching the surface of the problem.

It might be some hoses leaking, radiator leak, etc or worse case microscopic cracks in cylinder head or liner...

Better to send the car for checks to prevent any further hiccups or damage to the cooling system.

If you wana top up, I prefer to use distilled water. Cooling efficiency is better. You can mix coolant with the distilled water. Proper way is to flush out the existing coolant and top up. You might wana get your regular workshop to do it for you.

:)

use either water or bmw coolant...safer than aftermarket coolant cos u dunno how corrosive the other coolants are.

Juz go 2 7-11 & buy distilled water. Rem 2 release d air pocket b4 top up.

Ive been doing something wrong all these years. My boat cools with sea water and lake water, my car always top up with tap water. wonder how i survived

davidtch;364274 said:
Juz go 2 7-11 & buy distilled water. Rem 2 release d air pocket b4 top up.

the air pockets the screw beside the coolen cap right?

racingaprilia;365077 said:
the air pockets the screw beside the coolen cap right?
Yes. Once open, u will hear pisssssssssssss.

Bro,
The same thing happened to me. And I realised the radiator was leaking very badly because it takes like on 3 days before the coolant level drops. Sent to the workshop for replacement. Better check if there's any leaks from underneath your car.

Mate..same thing happened to my E46 320..ignored the check radiator light for 2mths as it was intermittent only...one day while stuck in a traffic jam the temp shot all the way to red and blinking..stopped the car and found no coolant at all in the radiator..had the car towed to BVO and had the radiator changed ..recommend to send in to check before car dies on the road and cause engine seizure..good luck!

Why did you drive for 2 months with a check light coming on?

Bimmer's engine run hotter, so better to be safe then sorry.
so far maintaining the level quite well even though had the check light come on once.
but thats because i think never check for long time.]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dola789ski

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back