Rattling noise

Re: Rattling noise

I managed to solve some creaks but still got creaks at front passenger side window and my driver seat plastic cover at the side unresolved. Have to live with it, no choice. I understand the frustration. I can temporary solve my window creaks by unwinding it down then up again. As for drivers seat plastic cover, no solution. Tried applying lotion, silicon etc but still creak like he'll especially hot weather. This could be due to the hard plastic material BMW uses. Am so tempted to remove the entire plastic cover or maybe to change to a racing seat.... Hmmmm

mohankls;648982 said:
Hmm...it seems like you are askin me to accept the noise & live with it uh..!!
Yes. It will nvr go away. Once u solve 1 area, another area will pop up. I have accepted it as part & parcel of BMW ownership.

mohankls;643327 said:
Hi pg9254,

The rattling noise is intermittent, sometimes its non-stop for the entire journey, yet at times I can only hear it when I go over uneven, rough roads etc.

Another strange thing i realised is its more apparent during the day, ie: in hot weather. At night, not as bad...hmmm!!

bros, eric3417 & red bean bun - good advice from both fo you! way better than selling the car cos I'm sure i'll be ripped off big time!!

My now 7-week old E90 318i (mileage 2500km) developed a rattle somewhere after 3 weeks (at >1000KM mileage) too. Sounds like ttrrtttrrttt (like this apt description), hardly audible above car stereo. It comes and goes in few seconds, occasionally occurs when
- release footbrake, moving off
- just after coming to a stop

This happens on a daily basis, during 1st 15 mins of drive, after morning cold-start or when start engine after >4 hrs parking. Or when there's a change in laden weight, e.g. passengers alights and you move foward or reverse. Not related to aircon. Shifting gear from D stops it.

Could it be a brake disc alignment ?

Last edited by a moderator:

snowmanyee;649115 said:
I managed to solve some creaks but still got creaks at front passenger side window and my driver seat plastic cover at the side unresolved. Have to live with it, no choice. I understand the frustration. I can temporary solve my window creaks by unwinding it down then up again. As for drivers seat plastic cover, no solution. Tried applying lotion, silicon etc but still creak like he'll especially hot weather. This could be due to the hard plastic material BMW uses. Am so tempted to remove the entire plastic cover or maybe to change to a racing seat.... Hmmmm

Headaches ... Why so many rattle sound on our BMW :shakehea: .. I also have rattling sound on my rear passenger seat near cup holder area whenever crossing pot hole or uneven road ... Feel so sian to go back pml to solve it cos need to leave my car there atleast 2 stupid day again ... Any bro can advise me :shakehea:

elginlye;670200 said:
My now 7-week old E90 318i (mileage 2500km) developed a rattle somewhere after 3 weeks (at >1000KM mileage) too. Sounds like ttrrtttrrttt (like this apt description), hardly audible above car stereo. It comes and goes in few seconds, occasionally occurs when
- release footbrake, moving off
- just after coming to a stop

This happens on a daily basis, during 1st 15 mins of drive, after morning cold-start or when start engine after >4 hrs parking. Or when there's a change in laden weight, e.g. passengers alights and you move foward or reverse. Not related to aircon. Shifting gear from D stops it.

Could it be a brake disc alignment ?

Hi,

II was looking thru some of the old threads, but cld not find any....Let me know if you have found the solution...tks...

Algino;670245 said:
Headaches ... Why so many rattle sound on our BMW :shakehea: .. I also have rattling sound on my rear passenger seat near cup holder area whenever crossing pot hole or uneven road ... Feel so sian to go back pml to solve it cos need to leave my car there atleast 2 stupid day again ... Any bro can advise me :shakehea:

the car is damn quiet, that's why u hear all the smallest creeks and rattles. come try my Volvo... u will never complain the BMW rattles again! lol!!

Looks like i m not alone! Recently i have tis soft 'tick tick' sound coming out from my E92 front dash board. Realise when i off the aircon, the sound went off. It comes on occasionally. ( depends on its mood! Nb) any1 got similar problem?

tick tick ... ngit ngit ... tsk tsk ... simi sound also have in 3 series
dashboard, door, seat, air con vent, etc

i tot such noise issue, especially the squeaking sound had long been solved? I had that too, n sent to PML, told them my squeak sound, n claimed to PML serv guy that it could be door seal rubber, n he said "yes, I know, many ppl also complain"
So he only paste a layer of tape along car body where door seal (rubber) comes into contact.
Sound gone for good for past 2yrs.
If its rattling sound, then it could be anywhere...even a sime plastic card in yr side compartment may be the culprit...
Jack

pg9254;670407 said:
Hi,

II was looking thru some of the old threads, but cld not find any....Let me know if you have found the solution...tks...

Turned out to be a loose plastic cover under the bonnet, above the kidney grille. Simple tightening job.

davidtch;648528 said:
Creaks are common like what i had said before. Even E39 also got creaks. E39 is 1 of the most well-build BMW around.

Bro, my 2006 e90 also has creaks. What i am worried about are the hard knocks sometimes when i go over potholes, Very ouch. But sometimes the suspension quite sturdy and there isnt the knocks. You guys get that also? is this a sign of my suspension dying?

Nah those knocks that you hear randomly are normal. I get them also, thanks but no thanks to all the stupid HDB MSCPs with many many humps. Your suspension is fine. Change when it leaks... save $

Anyone encountered these problems before?

1. The engine vibrates strongly during the initial movement of the car with the wheels turned. This happens during parking, whereby you move the car only after turning the wheels in stationary position in order to get into/out of the parking lots. The vibration goes off once the wheels are gradually straightened.

2. Engine vibration noise (sounded like pounding type) when the car comes to a stop (i.e "D" gear with brakes on). The noise is also present when the gear is in "R" position, but the noise goes off when the gear is set to "P" or "N". Noise will also go away when the air-con is switched off.

3. Intermittent clicking noise within the dashboard (front passenger side) when the car passes through uneven roads, angled humps, etc. The noise sounded like a plastic part has gone loose.

What could be the cause of the above problems?

pjlee25;693934 said:

1. The engine vibrates strongly during the initial movement of the car with the wheels turned. This happens during parking, whereby you move the car only after turning the wheels in stationary position in order to get into/out of the parking lots. The vibration goes off once the wheels are gradually straightened.

2. Engine vibration noise (sounded like pounding type) when the car comes to a stop (i.e "D" gear with brakes on). The noise is also present when the gear is in "R" position, but the noise goes off when the gear is set to "P" or "N". Noise will also go away when the air-con is switched off.

3. Intermittent clicking noise within the dashboard (front passenger side) when the car passes through uneven roads, angled humps, etc. The noise sounded like a plastic part has gone loose.

i do not know how true it is but i had the same thing that happen as well. im driving a 318i e90 2008 model.
send to PML last week they mentioned that i should change to fuel grade to 98, as i was using 92.
the car was collected by my wife so i have no idea till now what they had changed, partially im not in spore.

as no 1 have driven my car yet so do not know whether the problem still there as i changed to grade 95 to feel how was it.

just wanna know what fuel u using?

i have a similar noise, although not when stationary:
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine...ngine-rattle-around-1-500-rpm-under-load.html

you won't believe it... i'm running 98/vpower since day 1. the current tank is v-power, so it's not the fuel for sure. anyway the car is in MA for a performance exhaust install and i've also hilighted the noise + lack of power when engine warm. let's see what they find.

pjlee25;693934 said:

I'm also having the above 1 and 2 problem. Sent in once to fix the vibration when steering. Changed the front bushing. Initially much better, now the vibration is back again. Going back to pml to fix it again.

The engine vibration noise could be due to the engine mounting.

The engine mounts have been changed. These noise came about only recently.
I'm on 98 grade petrol all along (it gives me better fuel mileage).

Chewbaka, have you sent to PML for checks?

For my case, PML attributed it to aging... my mileage is 128K. Said something like "engine old", "cannot handle the load well" so "will have these noise", and to really solve it, do an engine overhaul. Wahlau!! :yikess:

I seriously hope PML will look into this issues as till now nobody has yet solve this mystery.
if not gonna change to AUDI....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868org
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back