Rattling noise

lucas111

Where to troubleshoot this kind of things?

I can't tell for sure it is inside cabin or outside but it come from right side quite near driver. Just happen a few days ago. Damn irritating. Dunno is it becuz of my lowered springs.

Re: Rattling noise

Wahliao... This type of noise is every driver's nightmare! Can describe more? I had such a noise traced to a badly installed IU once. PML took it to LTA and got a new one ut in - rattle gone - but I doubt your type of rattle is similar....

If u can hear it clearly, should be in cabin. When does it occur? Idling or over hump? Try pml they might be able to solve if it is a common problem to them

It doesn't happen on smooth road or over hump. It happen on rough roads. Mine PI cannot go PML. It sounds like the IU but cannot narrow down yet. Now when i drive very distracted keep looking out for it.

Btw i just updated to navi from 2009 to 2012. Now i can see clouds and traffic conditions. Is it accurate or not?

Think all cars - inclusive of our beloved (least to say uncheap BMWs) also have such 'squeeks and rattles' every now and then. Especially, since all our Roads these days are getting from bad to worse....there will be rattles and squeeks whenever riding over those unevenly paved roads and also depends on how 'rough and patchy' the roads are..some can go over nicely and sounds fine...whilst others gives off rattles and such....yes, irritating.

But there is something peculiar - and believe it has to do with the weather and climate. During cold mornings...it seems the car starts off with minimal squeeks rattle..like everything has settled in nicely and fitting. But if hot day..then it seems everything expanded and thus, there are more squeeks and rattles...but these also goes away after driving off for sometime...allowing things to settle and fit in again nicely...Dun think there is a possibility to eliminate all sounds completely...(have not tried sitting in a super luxurious bentley, Rolls yet) but I would like to think so.

My boss's 911 Turbo (almost $750k) version also complain having squeeks and rattles every now and then...so I think its inherent in all if not most cars....sadly.

I had some rattling noise on the left hand passenger side,not noticeable on smooth tarmac but on uneven road, it sounds like some cheap datsun( maybe exagerrated) rubber rubbing sounds
Managed to trouble shoot myself, toying with seat belt position, door panels etc etc..
Found out was from my glove box, The glove box if you notice is compresable, meaning even on outlook it look flush, but when you compress further, it actually bulge in half a cm or so. What I did was used a microfibre tower, rolled it up and slot in the at the edge and act as cushion.. now no more rattling sound.
No such issue with the E60 or E90. previous generation BMW has a latch in the middle so when is shut, is properly shut. not like the F10, I think the latch is on both side of the glove box but middle is " KOSONG"

I also have this problem when my new 520 is only 3 weeks old. I send it to MA and they paste the friction tape on both side of the door frame. Surprisingly the squeaking sound all gone. Foc as car under warranty.

Westwwood;820926 said:
I also have this problem when my new 520 is only 3 weeks old. I send it to MA and they paste the friction tape on both side of the door frame. Surprisingly the squeaking sound all gone. Foc as car under warranty.

I also had the friction tape done by PML .... my car didn't rattle but SA said pro-active measure.

helbreath;820452 said:
It doesn't happen on smooth road or over hump. It happen on rough roads. Mine PI cannot go PML. It sounds like the IU but cannot narrow down yet. Now when i drive very distracted keep looking out for it.

Btw i just updated to navi from 2009 to 2012. Now i can see clouds and traffic conditions. Is it accurate or not?

Helbreath, have you found the solution yet? I have the exact problem and it is damn irritating. Will send to the PI workshop next week but not hopeful that they can resolve the problem. Maybe the workaround is to upgrade the sound system to drown the rattling noise.

door friction tape should come as stock
bmw ag might not know but pml is sibei expert in pasting friction tape liao

Westwwood;820926 said:

scallion;821522 said:
I also had the friction tape done by PML .... my car didn't rattle but SA said pro-active measure.

wt_know;821733 said:
door friction tape should come as stock
bmw ag might not know but pml is sibei expert in pasting friction tape liao

Squeaking was a common problem with the E60.

One tip I picked up in the old E60.net thread was to use Armourall leather conditioner (brownish bottle) and rub it liberally over the rubber seals. Wipe off the excess and the squeaking is gone. I only have to redo this once in 6 months or so. My bottle of Armourall has lasted me about 3-4 years.

Friction tape will solve all your rattles. Both my E84 & E90 rattled but now very quiet.

Are there workshops which install friction tape or do I have to DIY? I bought mine from PI thus can't go to PML.

so far no workshop sell the 3M friction tape
if you can get the tape ie: internet / 3M supplier, any site sponsor workshop can help you install

babapapa;821804 said:
Are there workshops which install friction tape or do I have to DIY? I bought mine from PI thus can't go to PML.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had 3 kind of noise when I got my e60 last year
1) the usually squeaking sound caused by the rubber by the door. Stick 3m and apply BMW grease help a bit but sound still there. But 1 fine day it totally disapper

2) rattle sound near my steering wheel. I cannot understand and open up airbag etc to apply some grease to all connecting part. Sound still there very irritating ESP going over rough road. I could even know which part of the road then the sound will occur as I am so irritated by it. Then while driving over a rough road one day, I press my signal stalk. The sound was gone. I realised the signal stalk was loose so I just put a small piece of transparent tape in between the signal stalk n sound was gone.

3) cracking sound when going over hump or uneven road. This was rectified by adjusting the bonnet stopper higher as the sound is coming from the bonnet area.

So the car is now quite even I m on 19 rim with coil over.

If yours is one of the sound, hope it helps....

Bravo and by detail bro !

[QUOTE=Terras14;821870]I had 3 kind of noise when I got my e60 last year
1) the usually squeaking sound caused by the rubber by the door. Stick 3m and apply BMW grease help a bit but sound still there. But 1 fine day it totally disapper

2) rattle sound near my steering wheel. I cannot understand and open up airbag etc to apply some grease to all connecting part. Sound still there very irritating ESP going over rough road. I could even know which part of the road then the sound will occur as I am so irritated by it. Then while driving over a rough road one day, I press my signal stalk. The sound was gone. I realised the signal stalk was loose so I just put a small piece of transparent tape in between the signal stalk n sound was gone.

3) cracking sound when going over hump or uneven road. This was rectified by adjusting the bonnet stopper higher as the sound is coming from the bonnet area.

If yours is one of the sound, hope it helps....[/QUOTE]

Thanks all bros for your help.

The rattling noise has gone away after I tucked the IU wire further into the dashboard. Will continue to monitor; hopefully the noise has gone away for good.

QUOTE=Terras14;821870]I had 3 kind of noise when I got my e60 last year

If yours is one of the sound, hope it helps....[/QUOTE]

My F10 rattling sound come from the front passenger when it's empty. Seems it's quite common coz many of previous rides I own also has this problem including my most recent ride, a Golf GTI. I think other sound is coming from the glovebox which some bros here pointed out but yet to trace the source to be sure. But I do find my tyre noise quite loud considering it's low on mileage. Seems quite out of character with the renowned quietness of BMWs.

clamsgp;822566 said:
My F10 rattling sound come from the front passenger when it's empty. Seems it's quite common coz many of previous rides I own also has this problem including my most recent ride, a Golf GTI. I think other sound is coming from the glovebox which some bros here pointed out but yet to trace the source to be sure. But I do find my tyre noise quite loud considering it's low on mileage. Seems quite out of character with the renowned quietness of BMWs.

Could it be the safety belt? I had this sound actually but when I take a closer look, it's the metal part of the safety in contact with the plastic that causes the sound. No sound after I align the belt to its original,place.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
500aebio

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back