Re: Coolant Level Too Low

JasonKuan

Hi: I am driving a May 2007 registered E-90 320, and the mileague on the car is around 15,000km.

Today while driving, the coolant indicator light came on suddenly, and hence I went to top up with normal water because I have no idea as to what kind of coolant is recommended for the BMW. Anyone experience this before? Is it normal to top up the coolant, as I think I pour in at least a litre of water?

Thanks and looking forward to everyone insights.

Cheers

JK

you can try pouring in the water until its flows out, that way u are sure its full.

Better keep a tab on how frequently you refill water coz if you have to refill every week then probably a leak in your radiator system.

Word of advice... don't use normal water. You should be using distilled water for the radiator so that minerals won't react with the coolant. Did you find any leak with the hoses?

I have experienced the same problem with my one year old E90 around 10,000 km. Sent to PML, after checking with pressure test, found to have no leakage. However, I have to top with coolant (can be bought from PML) and water every two to three months ever since. This is because the coolant indicator stick will dip to the half way mark between min. and max. by then.

I have this problem too, my ride is E64, i always thought that a car cooling system is an enclosed system, don't understand how come the coolant level can reduce. i went to check, also no leakage. But i suspect that the coolant might have gone into the engine oil compartment? :whythis: I used to drive other cars, no such problem, only BMW. sadz

hldrops;501605 said:
I have this problem too, my ride is E64, i always thought that a car cooling system is an enclosed system, don't understand how come the coolant level can reduce. i went to check, also no leakage. But i suspect that the coolant might have gone into the engine oil compartment? :whythis: I used to drive other cars, no such problem, only BMW. sadz

Wow. You just pulled up a 2 year old post.

It's like talking to ghosts of the past.

It could be that water was not sufficiently top up due to bubble in expansion tank. The best practise is to open up the bleeding screw next to expansion tank & top up water.

15k must be some special milestone. my coolant low indicator also popped up recently when i hit that mileage. went down to my my feidnly modding workshop and they just topped it up with some water...

got my mind wondering because I have already done 3 services with my PI workshop and seems like they never seemed to check the coolant levels which makes me a bit worried about attention to detail at some places... wouldnt a normal service include a check of coolant????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
df999today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back