RE: Quad Exhaust for E60

Patrick

Hi All,

Intend to change the rear mtech diffuser to hamman quad diffuser, now on SS single side exhaust. Any recommended lta compliant quad exhaust or just go for a dummy one? Thks, Patrick

Re: Quad Exhaust for E60

If you want legal one got sebring and remus.. Go to fong kim..

If u want illegal go for hamann quad..

If you already have the SS one, then dun waste money to buy new quads lah (if wat u wan is the compliant one) cos the additional pipe to make it a quad no sound diff. I would suggest to do dummy one. Cheap and good but u need a GOOD exos fellow to do a nice job so it doesn't look fake. For this I recommend Ah Man.. he is VERY talented in doing up nice genuine looking quads..

Thinking of a dummy one too but only Jeep Chee carry SS tips which cost abt 500 plus.

To be exact, Jeep Chee's price is around $480(typical if you are a customer), inclusive of fedex airfrieght for twin 80mm tail pipes to match your box. Comes with full installation and alignment until you are happy.

I know, coz I just did it about 10 days ago!

DSCF6269.jpg

IMG00193-20090523-1245.jpg

Overall, I know that Remus has quads however I didn't want it to be boomy, and preferred SS's smooth tone, and I think the quality is better too. I played with idea to chop off the SS tips and get four very nice ones, but then again, this is a LTA approved box, was brand new, and its just not the right thing to do.

__iceman__;440847 said:
To be exact, Jeep Chee's price is around $480(typical if you are a customer), inclusive of fedex airfrieght for twin 80mm tail pipes to match your box. Comes with full installation and alignment until you are happy.

DSCF6269.jpg

Overall, I know that Remus has quads however I didn't want it to be boomy, and preferred SS's smooth tone, and I think the quality is better too. I played with idea to chop off the SS tips and get four very nice ones, but then again, this is a LTA approved box, was brand new, and its just not the right thing to do.

looking good !

is there 2 mufflers? i m thinking of doing this to my 325i that originally came only with 2 tips.

what mufflers are those? can post a sound clip? thanks:dance:

As above in mu post. These are LTA approved supersprint. This is also a reply for adding in two more tips for 480 at Jeep Chee...

Sound clip I dun have, you can try youtube... In any case I am not sure if a E60 will sound like a 325.. Too many variances and even generation gap as mine is not such a new car!

Hi, Nice mod & thks for sharing. I was offer S$ 520.00 & it's a last set in stock.

It appears you have 2 mufflers instead of 1 which is not the same as Remus and Sebring. My Sebring only has 1 muffler on the left side but a pipe linking the other two pipes to the right like the attached pic. I didn't know SS came with 2 muffler boxes..which is very nice and looks like M5 type. Did Jeep Chee put in as dummy one or is it SS original?

post-828-1207031009.jpg

Iceman

From your pics, looks like you get 2 tips plus a second back box right?

Curious how Eric installed the second back box (enough space below your boot to put in the second back box?)

__iceman__;440847 said:

DSCF6269.jpg

Jiunn Siong;441294 said:
Iceman

From your pics, looks like you get 2 tips plus a second back box right?

Curious how Eric installed the second back box (enough space below your boot to put in the second back box?)

Yah, and it looks from the pic tat the right one is smaller than the left one. Tua Suey Liap?

It's seem like a metal piece as a bracket to hold the tailpipe. Maybe the angle of the photo shoot which make it look like a box.

MW;441292 said:
It appears you have 2 mufflers instead of 1 which is not the same as Remus and Sebring. My Sebring only has 1 muffler on the left side but a pipe linking the other two pipes to the right like the attached pic. I didn't know SS came with 2 muffler boxes..which is very nice and looks like M5 type. Did Jeep Chee put in as dummy one or is it SS original?

Haha that means its successful liao. The one on the right is outright fake. No box. Its just a metal plate cut into a shape that makes it look like a box. The battery compartment is there and there is almost zero space there for any box. I didn't want to link them up, as I am concerned about disrupting the flow, and also if you stand behind the car, the two sides will sound different. Also I wanted to retain the LTA approved status of the exhaust, and did not want to do any Y joints just to make it working. To get both sides looking the same, just align it very carefully, spray inside matt black (working box also must spray to exact color match). Its a long story lah, actually I wanted a M-sport rear bumper, which to me, is nicer but since the kit I ordered is a complete M5 one, these fake tips... I take them as just covering and filling in that empty gap lor.

For reference, this is what it looks like inside when the cover is removed.

DSCF6256.jpg

Even jacked up a certain height, can't really tell as the undercarriage cover conceals the rest.

DSCF6282.jpg

wah sibeh swee and expert man. I am going to cut up a milo tin and do the same thing!

Hi MW, you are on sebring quad huh? Necessary to bolt back the cover after pulling the additional pipe to right side? Thks, Patrick

Patrick;441556 said:
Hi MW, you are on sebring quad huh? Necessary to bolt back the cover after pulling the additional pipe to right side? Thks, Patrick

Nope, it was a direct fit. Sebring n Remus made it specifically for non-M E60

Not bad....nice job on the fakies. Make sure they are secured tightly. Don't want to have rattling when you are at the lights.

Hi MW, i mean the cover underneath the battery compartment. They need to remove it, so as to pull another pipe to the right side. Do i need to install it back again or just leave it? To install it back need some cutting on the cover leh, as the pipe on the right is blocking the way. Thks, Patrick

I have a suggestion. If you are already on non LTA approved box, cut the bugger, and install 4 matching nice tips. Go to Benzline - 115 Eunos Ave 3 and see the Lumma exhaust tips they have. Its about half the price of the overly expensive SS ones. The Lumma ones are round, and 90mm. IMHO, classy and aggressive looking. I think you can get 4 nice tips for under $500.

ACS6 - yeah, to properly secure the fakes is a priority. Basically you need at least 3 points of welding with proper brackets for a SOLID mount. So far I have not experienced any vibrations at all, the job done by Jeep Chee matches to the premium I paid for the tips.

The alignement of the tips are crucial. The working box actually has the tips facing about 5 to 10 degrees to the left, so your fakes must also face 5-10 degrees to the right, not directly "straight ahead" when you look from the back. If you are confused, just think "toe out" or "spread eagle" :whipper:

One minor observation - and its very true. When you want to align the EXACT same amount of protrusion out from the bumper, the fakes should stick out about 1 or 2mm further than the working one, IF your exhaust is totally cold. Why? I didn't believe it at first but Jeep Chee alerted me... when driver gets stimulated on the road, exhaust system gets hot under the collar, it gets longer! :whattheh:

It is true... when the system heats up, the working tip then extends out by another few mm.

One work around to reduce this effect would be: Do not secure the tip too high up to the bumper. Leave a gap. Then the short/long effect is much reduced, as parallax error is reduced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back