recomendation to do BMW audio system

Re: recomendation to do BMW audio system

hi guys, im lost here so pls help me out.
recently im thinking of upgrading my audio system (original is lousy la) but was advised not to becoz the car warranty will be VOID... something to do with dabbling with the car cables. Im driving a E90

cheers and many thanks in advance 1st!!

I've seen some very nice after-market headunits, especially those with a LCD screen.

When the BMW headunit is changed to an after-market one, can I still use the multi-function buttons on the steering wheel? I am reluctant to do any ICE mods if I will lose the ability to change songs and change volume from the steering wheel.

Bro, as I am also venturing into ICE now, I found out that some HU (with purchase of an additional module) will allow you to still use the buttons on the steering for control.

The Mixmaster;212481 said:
I've seen some very nice after-market headunits, especially those with a LCD screen.

When the BMW headunit is changed to an after-market one, can I still use the multi-function buttons on the steering wheel? I am reluctant to do any ICE mods if I will lose the ability to change songs and change volume from the steering wheel.

recomendation to do BMW audio system

I have an aftermarket Alpine HU. My installer used an adpator to enable the functions on the steering wheels - i can change songs and volume but not switching between radio, CD and iPod. Works fine for me, and I'm not sure if the latest adaptor could allow changing modes.

Warranty void? Well, PML still trouble shoot my car on the gear shift (probably tuning) - now is smooth as new.

you need an experienced installer who is familiar with the E90. just make sure the stock unit is parked somewhere in your ride so that PML can run the diagnostics machine on your car when you send in for re-correcting some problems.

cgoh;212498 said:
Bro, as I am also venturing into ICE now, I found out that some HU (with purchase of an additional module) will allow you to still use the buttons on the steering for control.
Bro Cgoh

You go and please find out more and then if the price is right, we do mini-group mod together.

Barsket, you spread mod virus to me again. Last time it was the roof module. Now, ICE. :)

I thought you said that you retired from modding liao. :screwedu:

2one2two;212456 said:
hi guys, im lost here so pls help me out.
recently im thinking of upgrading my audio system (original is lousy la) but was advised not to becoz the car warranty will be VOID... something to do with dabbling with the car cables. Im driving a E90

cheers and many thanks in advance 1st!!

Go ahead and upgrade la...when u encounter problems, make sure before the use the word VOID u bang the table liao....Been there, Done it...my car still got warranty nothing is VOID...

I did my at New Generation....good neat clean tidy job done...IMO...

Bro, what do you want from your audio? What are you looking to impove? This will require different components. For a cab, we are limited by space.

For me, I just want to bring up the bass. May just install an active subwoofer to see how it feel before I decide if I need more. As I said, I am easy to satisfy :)

The Mixmaster;212513 said:
Bro Cgoh

You go and please find out more and then if the price is right, we do mini-group mod together.

Barsket, you spread mod virus to me again. Last time it was the roof module. Now, ICE. :)

I thought you said that you retired from modding liao. :screwedu:

Cgoh

I may need to change my headunit because my on/off & volume knob is a bit sticky/faulty. I thought this could be my excuse to get a new headunit that is either:

(a) a single din unit with a LCD touchscreen that slides out (but this blocks the aircon vent); or

(b) a double din unit, also with a LCD touchscreen.

Other than playing audio CDs, I would like it be able to play DVDs, have an Ipod interface, bluetooth with my phone, etc. I think I will stick with the Harmon Kardon that comes with my M3 for the time being.

But I don't want to lose my multi-function on the steering wheel and lose the use of the 6 CD changer in the boot. Is this possible?

Where would you recommend I go to find out more?

From what you discribe, I would suggest that you go for a Alpine HU (not sure if there is bluetooth interface). I will try to get the model number and price for you from a shop I know (Konceptz Audio) on friday. With an adaptor/module you can still use the buttons on the steering. I suggest a single din but you are right about blocking the aircon. Double din has to be install behind the gear stick which blocks the views.

The Mixmaster;212537 said:
Cgoh

I may need to change my headunit because my on/off & volume knob is a bit sticky/faulty. I thought this could be my excuse to get a new headunit that is either:

(a) a single din unit with a LCD touchscreen that slides out (but this blocks the aircon vent); or

(b) a double din unit, also with a LCD touchscreen.

Other than playing audio CDs, I would like it be able to play DVDs, have an Ipod interface, bluetooth with my phone, etc. I think I will stick with the Harmon Kardon that comes with my M3 for the time being.

But I don't want to lose my multi-function on the steering wheel and lose the use of the 6 CD changer in the boot. Is this possible?

Where would you recommend I go to find out more?

pls don't ever go to konceptz audio on a weekend. Horse racing day. Football betting day. :)

Cgoh, active sub wouldnt do the trick. Its the worst kind of sub to have.

oneHeadlight, I also have been told thst Mok is quite a gambler :).As for the active sub, I know it it not the best but for a cab if we do not option if we do not want to dig a hole in our back seat,. The bass will not be heard if we put a sub in the boot. So i have to put something small in the cabin on the passenger side in front of the footrest area. What suggested setup do you have for us? I do not waht to spend too much as i am not a hardcore audiophile but the stock sound systen cannot make it for me. was thinking of changing the speakers and HU next time when the bros here upgrade. your suggestion is greatly appreciated.
oneHeadlight;213202 said:
pls don't ever go to konceptz audio on a weekend. Horse racing day. Football betting day. :)

Cgoh, active sub wouldnt do the trick. Its the worst kind of sub to have.

i think the cliche of personal preference comes into play. If u just want to have bass freq 80hz and below, and u don't care about control and how it blends in with the rest of the music like vocals, drums etc, and then chuck an active sub in the cabin and u will hear poor boomy sounds.

what happens when u upgrade piece meal is firstly, waste of money because u are gonna upgrade. If u have a budget in mind, and with no intention of going for really good stuff, u still can get more than decent improvements. Map out the architecture. Listen to diffferent speakers and get a feel of their characteristics.

there are forumers who drive or drove cabs b4, and had subwoofers in the boot. A good seasoned installer will know wat to do. I am not sure if i would let a gambler do my car subject to his mood swings. And actually, it is still arguable whether there is a need to cut anything for sub-bass long wavelengths to pass thru.

i would strongly suggest u get a decent HU, a good pair of front speakers, a sub, and separate amps for the speakers and the sub.
If u dont have a high budget, avoid New Generation. High price doesnt guarantee high quality.

cgoh,
perhaps the budget will constrain your choice of brands for the electonics and speakers, but the set-up suggested by oneHeadlight is most effective imo.

oneHeadlight, i've no chance to go to installer place yet, sorry for the delay.

Thanks for your advice. I will look around somemore. Just do not know where to start as this is the frst time I am doing a mod on ICE. I have never bothered about ICE in my previous E39 and E38. I guess the cab now is more of a toy to me. If I only want to spend not more than$1.5K, what are oprions? Need to pick your experience brain.

oneHeadlight;213306 said:
i think the cliche of personal preference comes into play. If u just want to have bass freq 80hz and below, and u don't care about control and how it blends in with the rest of the music like vocals, drums etc, and then chuck an active sub in the cabin and u will hear poor boomy sounds.

what happens when u upgrade piece meal is firstly, waste of money because u are gonna upgrade. If u have a budget in mind, and with no intention of going for really good stuff, u still can get more than decent improvements. Map out the architecture. Listen to diffferent speakers and get a feel of their characteristics.

there are forumers who drive or drove cabs b4, and had subwoofers in the boot. A good seasoned installer will know wat to do. I am not sure if i would let a gambler do my car subject to his mood swings. And actually, it is still arguable whether there is a need to cut anything for sub-bass long wavelengths to pass thru.

i would strongly suggest u get a decent HU, a good pair of front speakers, a sub, and separate amps for the speakers and the sub.
If u dont have a high budget, avoid New Generation. High price doesnt guarantee high quality.

$1.5k ... quite a challenge. I would suggest skip the sub. Get an amp, a good set of front component speakers, cut the door. No need expensive speaker cables.

hi brudder Bmer,

tksvm for the "go ahead" !! yeah thk i will just do it since im pretty good with banging tables.. ask my boss hahahaha

once agn, thks alot

Heard a 2way DANISH ACOUSTICS Pristinum Series Front Speakers at Nam Huat Car Audio Pte Ltd (Toh Guan Road East) and sounds really bassy. Thought might be a solution for cabriolet with fitting Sub woofers problem. Then with a amp, should be well control within 1.5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneHeadlight

$1.5k ... quite a challenge. I would suggest skip the sub. Get an amp, a good set of front component speakers, cut the door. No need expensive speaker cables.

i think i know someone who did that in his cabrio...he didnt really like the tweeters i think but as always, its personal taste.

how much are the pristinum anyway ?

I remember seeing the Danish Pristium at a installer going for like $750-800..pretty good

Hello to our I.C.E experts here. I was recently driving a rented Subaru STi with stock ICE. Damn !!!, only then I realized that the stock audio sys. in my E46 that I thought is good enough for me in fact sound so poooor when there is a comparison. Well, now I'm thinking of the following improvement to the audio sys.

1. Increase the bass effect (of course not to the extend of seat massaging...)
2. very important, clear....sound.
3. maintaining the Headunit, so that my stock 6-CD changer and controls from steering wheel is still usable.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at the budget around $1K. Thanks in advance.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back