Safe to drive to Malaysia?

Re: Safe to drive to Malaysia?

I gog back to Malaysia (KL, and Malacca) every month once... With BMW, Corrola, Civic, Wish, Merc, and Euro R.
and I (malaysian) don't like SUV. :yummie:

drive your way up, with manners... i don't think you will get any trouble.
Park your car with steering lock, an alarm, and bright area ,.
I even see many S Reg Plate vehicle travel all the way up to Terengganu b4,and I was in the S Plate car as well,... nice drive up there.
If something gonna happen, it will happen anywhere... not just Malaysia.

I will back to M'sia this coming weekend for long break :cloud9:

Enjoy your stay in Malaysia. :)

yo bro, after getting my BMer I stopped driving to Malaysia after hearing all the stories from immediate friends, including KL residents (all of them have steering locks in their cars!!!). But last year, I got adventurous!!! I drove all the way to CHERATING!!!! It's about 6+ hours. Along the way, my E46 3er does stick out like a sore thumb when passing through smaller towns.

I must say it was pretty uneventful, I put the car on cruise control at 110 most of the time .... until I was reaching CHERATING. There was a road block, then I realise I left my license at home! and the officer also spotted that my road tax disc expired! (paid but forgot to change!!!!). Fortunately my wife brought her license and he actually let me off with a verbal warning!!!!!! Wife took over driving for the rest of the journey....

Upon arrival, the car was parked in an enclosed carpark with 24hr security. So I actually manage to drive the same car home after 4 days ... hehe...

rgds

ex3 said:
Hi All,

I've lived in Singapore for a few years now, and have always wanted to drive to Malaysia for a weekend trip. However, I've heard so many bad stories about car being stolen / grabbed / hi-jacked.. etc in Malaysia.

Is it really that bad? Especially BMWs? My car is the X3, and would really like to take it for a good long drive and have a long-weekend-holiday in Malaysia. Is it going to be very risky?

The places I've been thinking about is the Cameron Highland, Malacca or even KL. Anyone has any advise or other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

hi guys,

this is my first time driving up NS highway in my ride. done it before in my nissan a few times. ....... attracted quite a lot of attention but generally the 6hrs drive to ipoh was quite uneventful except for the customs officer at malaysia who was woken upby me when he was napping inside the booth at 4am in the morning...... he scolded me in malay but what the heck.....

I am now in the hotel .............safe :)

What are you doing in a hotel safe?!

Haha sorry man couldn't resist that one :p Good luck, and have fun!

2 of my friends MPVgot stolen in Malaysia. The Picnic got stolen whicl being parked right in front of the hotel Lobby in board daylight. I think the doorman must be involved.

Maybe it is time to install one of those GPS tracking devices. R there any in Singapore??

Heard our cars got immobiliser?

I heard from a local alarm installer that actually if they wanna take your car, any lock they can also settle. But it takes an expert to hack an immobiliser.

A trick is also steer all the way in a direction then lock the steering wheel. In this way even if they tow they will hit the vehicle on the left so delay their process.

Recently drove to genting with a few frens. Went all the way 220km/h with a STI and see the bugger pull at 240km/h. But damm shiok man. Too bad got 3 passengers (excuse). But the STI was a friendly guy.

Better to drive in a convoy and have a walkie in each car. Very fun as you can cho cho other cars sometimes. Like we actually Giap a car. One in front, one at the back and 2 at the side. Hahah pretty fun. But just a while for the thrill!

Cheers.

Just returned last night after spending 3 days in KL, BK Tinggi and Port Dickson. Clocked 1000 km on this trip on my E90 320i. Some called me crazy to drive the 3 months old car up north. My wife works in the Insurance company and she sees all the claims from stolen vehicles every month - we wasn't sure at 1st. Thanks to all the advise from the forum - drive in convoy, use walkie, parking, steering lock, etc, we returned in the same car last night. safe and sound.

While I have driven my previous ride (Camry) up the NS highway before, I must say that the experience is totally different. Did not do a 220 like my Liverpudlian friend, the fun of the drive makes me forget about all the problems I have with PML. It sure is a great driving machine.

motofish

Ya, i think it's safe. so long as don't be too flashy, keep in low profile, and not to drive those high ranking stolen cars such as Harrier or E60 . heard that it's high demand there. happy motoring.

yendor said:
Think of it this way, if they run you off the road, your car gets damaged anyway. If they ram you, your car gets damaged too. So might as well use your car to ram them back. Cheers
I thought BMWs are equipped with a device that will disconnect the bettery when you meet with an accident. This means that there is no way you can get away if you ram them. Worst still, if this happens, then you're surely gonna be headline story the next day - "SINGAPORE MAN FOUND SLAIN ALONG NORTH-SOUTH HIGHWAY"

hey Guys,
don;t be paranoid. malaysia may not be singapore, but its safe to go up and down,as long as you take precautions...just like driving from your carpark to your nearest NTUC!! Enjoy the ride buddy.

Just to let you guys know I have made an enjoyable trip up north with wife & kid (after replacing my previous ailing car alarm). We went in a convoy with walkie talkie and started at dawn 6.00 pm, had the highway mostly to ourself for a good part and was back at midnight clocking almost 1000 km.

No undue incidences. Some small jam on return trip and the few nasty drivers we encountered, half of them got SG plates... sigh. Otherwise, everything would have been a bliss.. looking forward to next month trip...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keonhacaiphotos
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back