School Principal -

Red_Bean_Bun

As a rubber stamper via exams and their expectations for parent to fork out $$ for the kids to get an education - Now they also showing a complete disconnect from their obligations to society - complete lack of compassion. Is this what your kids to say when it comes to demonstrating their role in the face of humanity ?

By Grace Chua

When 15-year-old Leia Lai and two of her classmates went back to school on Monday, they sported a new look - bald.

The three St Margaret's Secondary School students had cut their hair to raise funds for a cancer charity.

But this drew the ire of their principal, as they had not donned wigs, as they had promised earlier.

The school's rules do not allow "punk, unfeminine or sloppy hairstyles". Said principal Marion Tan: "It's very clear in our mission: it's about their turnout as a young lady."

And if the girls were allowed to go bald, others might take advantage.

"Can you imagine if I were to say yes, I'd have everybody coming to school with a bald head. Sometimes it's a fad, so they would take advantage of the situation."

A group of five girls had asked for permission to take part in last Saturday's Hair for Hope event to raise funds for the Children's Cancer Foundation, and all five had promised to wear a wig. But only two of the five Secondary 3 students kept their word.

So the other three were called out of class and taken by a parent volunteer to buy wigs that cost around $70 each. The principal said promises made should be kept.

But the students and parents, including Leia's mother Emily Chia, argued that covering up was against the spirit of Hair for Hope.

Said Madam Chia, 41: "The purpose of Hair for Hope is to show children with cancer that it's okay to be bald."

Mr Wong Choon Yew, the father of Cherry Wong - one of the three students - said he respected the principal's wishes. "Whatever the girls have agreed, they have to abide by."

But the 44-year-old pastor also said the shorn pates "are public testimony that shows support and raises awareness of cancer patients to their schoolmates".

Three other schools, whose female students took part in Hair for Hope, told The Straits Times that students were allowed to go bald.

As for Leia and Cherry, they have been allowed to go to school bald. But only because of doctors' notes certifying they had rashes on their heads from wearing wigs.

Re: School Principal -

What's the rationale for making them promise to wear a wig in the first place? Think about the message that is being sent.

"Can you imagine if I were to say yes, I'd have everybody coming to school with a bald head. Sometimes it's a fad, so they would take advantage of the situation."

What nonsense.

Again, playing the devil's advocate, "what's the rationale for promising to wear a wig and then not honouring the word? Think about the message that is being sent." This applies to the 3 of the 5 promised.

I think BOTH sides deserve some scrutiny.

kenntona;1020063 said:
Again, playing the devil's advocate, "what's the rationale for promising to wear a wig and then not honouring the word? Think about the message that is being sent." This applies to the 3 of the 5 promised.

I think BOTH sides deserve some scrutiny.

No doubt that promises must be kept, I do not take issue with that. Even then, we can still speculate whether the promises were willing or coerced. Agree that both sides probably have a part to play in this fiasco, no way to know for sure.

However there is one thing I am certain of, the principal deems her school image > spirit of the charity. When it comes to charity, there can always be doubts on the intentions of the charitable action, but charity is still charity.

marklee said:
Even then, we can still speculate whether the promises were willing or coerced. Agree that both sides probably have a part to play in this fiasco, no way to know for sure.

Unless the promises were forced upon (knife on neck), else, a promise to wear a wig post-event is still a promise, no matter how anyone looks at it.

marklee said:
However there is one thing I am certain of, the principal deems her school image > spirit of the charity. When it comes to charity, there can always be doubts on the intentions of the charitable action, but charity is still charity.

Agree. Rigidity of the thought process, could not think out of the box.

marklee;1020094 said:

I don't quite agree. Discipline is paramount when u are a principal running a school. The principal has not disallowed the girls from participating in the charity, she only attached conditions which i think is fair.

As with all things, the girls need to fulfill their end of the bargain as well, they knew this was the condition before they shaved their heads.

I actually support the principal in this case.

if im principal of all gals school. I will tell them. girls.....make sure u shave......

marklee;1020051 said:
What's the rationale for making them promise to wear a wig in the first place? Think about the message that is being sent.

What nonsense.

The principal thinks that going bald is a fad, a trend? She must be taking an easy way out.

It is very simple. Those who had supported an event and went bald, the school should know. As for the rest who goes bald, they can take action. But seriously, in all my life as a student, the thought of going bald never occurred to me. Why would I? I would be young and would want to impress girls, why would I go bald?

Guys, this is a school we are talking about here. If there is any place when our children start learning about discipline, this is where it all starts. That's why the students wear uniforms and not their home clothes, they have certain guidelines on haircuts and the jewellery you can wear etc.

Today it can be shaving bald to support cancer, tomorrow it could be dyeing your hair red to support national day, where do we draw the line? I think if I'm the prinicipal, i also headache.

A good example of the fallacy of slippery slope.....

chicane;1020099 said:
I don't quite agree. Discipline is paramount when u are a principal running a school. The principal has not disallowed the girls from participating in the charity, she only attached conditions which i think is fair.

As with all things, the girls need to fulfill their end of the bargain as well, they knew this was the condition before they shaved their heads.

I do not agree. The condition was already discriminatory to bald people. This is not a discipline issue.

Tharman will take offence.

pengful;1020106 said:
I do not agree. The condition was already discriminatory to bald people. This is not a discipline issue.

Tharman will take offence.

Wah lao, Tharman dont have a choice, ok? :laughing:

Gals.im ur new principal. Pls shave. Tomr inspection. Landing strips r ok. I test myaeroplane tom

Last edited by a moderator:

totoseow;1020118 said:
Gals.im ur new principal. Pls shave. Tomr inspection. Landing strips r ok. I test myaeroplane tom

Yr aeroplane Cessna or A380?

chicane;1020099 said:

Yup I agree..a promise is a promise.

Where we disagree is on the conditions which I deem unfair and inappropriate, especially in light of what the whole "Hair for Hope" campaign is trying to achieve.

Perhaps look at the issue this way - what would the principal have done if there was no promise to wear a wig post charity exercise?

The flipside is tricky, if one were to ask - what's wrong with going bald in school.......

kids nowadays are different from our generation. I've done relief teaching in a secondary school, so I know...

they don't mind chopping off the left hand to spite the right, if just to prove a point. and they know they can get away with murder, cos the teaching staff need permission from the parents before they are allowed to mete out punishment.

again this is a one-sided story, and angled to make it seem like the principal is being unreasonable.

has the media bothered to find out whether the respective students have a disciplinary problem? this is a girls school we are talking about. don't think the boys schools will have an issue of their students going bald.

Captain Picard does charity at Warp 9. He da man

Principle is also holding to the mission of the school. You can read the history why the school was form to get a better idea. Some may say that times has change but I believe the spirit behind still stays. Granted, the P could be flexible with a cap or beanie but the issue here is still a matter of taking responsibility for your actions and keeping to the promise. Some also pointed out that it defeats the purpose but the gals can show their shaved head out of the school compound. We still need to respect the school as an institution for education and part of it involves discipline like the Army.

Just a quick thought....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvjlcomph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back