Schoolboy's Car Dreams - Name the top 3 brands

Re: Schoolboy's Car Dreams - Name the top 3 brands

that was my era. not sure if they were the best best cars ever..but it was the era where i later learned....it was termed GOLDEN. iconic cars....i m sure the 40 and the countach are a pain to drive...

i must be 6 or 7 then....n i remembered being in my dads van....n a esprit lotus sped by...n he n my uncle were going ..that car is so rare...made of carbon fibre blah blah blah..n 1km down the road...bang...the lotus had crashed really badly. next day there was even a news report on it...late 70s?

centurion;269192 said:
Definitely! The Datsun 120Y, the one which took most of Singapore and Malaysia to the roads. Which one did you like? The B110, 210 or 310?

In manual transmission guise, the 1171cc engine could muster 69 HP. I had 3 of these things, all of them B210 and 310. It was an excellent (for the price) rear wheel drive chassis, and the incredible boomy engine would not burst no matter what you put them through... 15 years of refinement is a helluva long time.

For 15 years thereabouts, the chassis and engine remained the same.

attachment.php

Latest episode of Top Gear had the 3 presenters trying to prove British Leyland (now pretty much defunct!) made decent cars.

So all 3 presenters bought 3 pre-owned BL cars for ard 1000 pounds. On the track, STIG drove the puny 60+bhp (when new) Datsun 120Y on the track faster than the 3 100+ bhp BL cars. Hilarious

totoseow;271530 said:
that was my era. not sure if they were the best best cars ever..but it was the era where i later learned....it was termed GOLDEN. iconic cars....i m sure the 40 and the countach are a pain to drive...

i must be 6 or 7 then....n i remembered being in my dads van....n a esprit lotus sped by...n he n my uncle were going ..that car is so rare...made of carbon fibre blah blah blah..n 1km down the road...bang...the lotus had crashed really badly. next day there was even a news report on it...late 70s?
yes they were iconic. In a recent shootout in evo mag, the countach was polled, and it nearly won (I forgot, did it win??? Maybe!)

The lotus esprit was great for me because it was the submarine car in The Spy Who Loved Me.

DoggieHowser;271534 said:
Latest episode of Top Gear had the 3 presenters trying to prove British Leyland (now pretty much defunct!) made decent cars.

So all 3 presenters bought 3 pre-owned BL cars for ard 1000 pounds. On the track, STIG drove the puny 60+bhp (when new) Datsun 120Y on the track faster than the 3 100+ bhp BL cars. Hilarious
Oh F me! I must watch that episode. I love the 120Y.

BTW Top Gear is wrong. It is 69HP.

i learned how to drive with the 120Y!..

I learned how to drive in a very old 1980s Toyota Corolla RWD...driving school back then

centurion;271543 said:
Oh F me! I must watch that episode. I love the 120Y.

BTW Top Gear is wrong. It is 69HP.

I think they might have said 69hp in passing. But I wasn't paying attention. It was just hilarious.

It's in Part 2 on the Youtube from abt 2:48 onwards..

[youtube]e7d4QH8-3HI[/youtube]

There's 3 other parts.

Part 1
YouTube - Top Gear - British Leyland Cars Challenge [1/4]

Part 3
YouTube - Top Gear - British Leyland Cars Challenge [3/4]

Part 4
YouTube - Top Gear - British Leyland Cars Challenge [4/4]

im still school boy lei
my list:

1)Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 roadster Versace edition
2)Pagani Zonda F
3)Lamborghini Gallardo SE

DoggieHowser;268968 said:
Did anyone else play those "card games" with specs of all the top cars (they also had sets for airplanes/jetfighters/navy ships etc)?

One of my neighbours used to have them all. He was 4 years older and in the GEP program, would card count and know exactly what card I had on the top of my deck at every turn. I didn't know what was happening at the time but now that I think about it, it was quite impressive. Got completely destroyed every time.

I remember that in the plane deck the big pastel blue Korean Air 747 had a killer spec on something..

Also used to clear the drains between our houses of dried leaves and run Tamiya cars in them. Then another friend got a deluxe Tamiya track setup in his room and so he became our best friend for a while hahahh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwinbuild
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back