Self-drive Romantic Road ,Frankfurt to Munich

fantastic3

Hi guys,

I am planning a holiday trip around end May for 6 days in Frankfurt and then fly to London.
I was thinking of doing a self-drive with a rented BMW from Frankfurt driving thru Romantic Road n ending at Munich.
I would like to seek some recommendations and advice from bros/sis who has done this self drive before.

A few questions here hopefully I can get some advice:

- Any good and reliable car rental company to recommend? Saw hertz current promotion (20% off rates). Are they reliable? Are diesel cars easily available?

- Which are the towns worth stopping by or stay overnite other than Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Fussen

-Any good tips/ warnings for driving on the Romantic Road or Autobahn? Left hand drive etc

-Was thinking of extending the drive from Fussen/Munich to Zugspitz (the highest mountain in Germany)
Is it do-able and easy to drive there?

-Any other itinerary or nice attractions to add to the above?

Sorry for asking so many questions...hope can get some useful tips here.
Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Self-drive Romantic Road ,Frankfurt to Munich

Sometimes, the car rental company can do a complimentary upgrade to a more powerful and newer vehicle for the same price. Depends on their willingness at that point in time and their fleet availability.

Have always used different reputable car companies in different cities as it came down to their offerings vs package.

I had a friend who did the route and I recall them mentioning Dinkelsbuhl (possible misspelling) wasn't too mind blowing, and they also did Church In The Meadow in Steingaden which was meaningful to them. There are a couple of other Unesco sights along the way.

I'm excited for you. I would like to do that Romantic Road one day when I find the right person to do it with.

Have an excellent trip. I'm happy for you. :) Stay safe.

Thanks black beauty . I hope one day u will find the right person to make the trip.
Anyone else got any nice tips to share?

Thanks

fantastic3;947547 said:
Hi guys,

I am planning a holiday trip around end May for 6 days in Frankfurt and then fly to London.
I was thinking of doing a self-drive with a rented BMW from Frankfurt driving thru Romantic Road n ending at Munich.
I would like to seek some recommendations and advice from bros/sis who has done this self drive before.

A few questions here hopefully I can get some advice:

- Any good and reliable car rental company to recommend? Saw hertz current promotion (20% off rates). Are they reliable? Are diesel cars easily available?

- Which are the towns worth stopping by or stay overnite other than Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Fussen

-Any good tips/ warnings for driving on the Romantic Road or Autobahn? Left hand drive etc

-Was thinking of extending the drive from Fussen/Munich to Zugspitz (the highest mountain in Germany)
Is it do-able and easy to drive there?

-Any other itinerary or nice attractions to add to the above?

Sorry for asking so many questions...hope can get some useful tips here.
Thanks in advance guys

for car rental, you're better off getting one from a rental car broker, their rate is more competitive... they are basically middleman between you & the actual car rental company, hertz, avis, europcar... but they can offer you better rate & insurance coverage. you will still collect your car at the airport from the reputable car rental company.

when you collect the car, make sure you ask them to teach you how to input the car return address in the GPS and save it in the car memory, it can be a pain in the ass trying to find where to return it to... and they generally don't help you that much in that regards... learn how to use their "parking coupon", some place need to use vending machine to pay, then display receipt at your dash, some free but have to indicate when you start parking - the slip should be in the car, but no one explain to us what it is)

we drove F30 320d, mighty powerful with GPS and all the gadget (on board navi, speed limit info), so we always know the speed of the road (it read the road sign and display it on the dash/hud)... of course, don't road hog, the polo can be coming at you fast & furious... autobahn no speed limit, but at certain major exit turn there will be speed limit, and the germans KEEP TO IT, so expect them to sudden brake once the speed limit sign appear!

we really liked the disneyland castle, the drive there pass through some farms were very scenic, from there, we also hop momentarily to Austria and back and pass through an awesome lake, the local seems to like to holiday there in their caravan, humongous lake, very twisty road...

Darn nice, and self drive using f30 some more! Gotta do put this my travel to do list lol

kon;948112 said:
for car rental, you're better off getting one from a rental car broker, their rate is more competitive... they are basically middleman between you & the actual car rental company, hertz, avis, europcar... but they can offer you better rate & insurance coverage. you will still collect your car at the airport from the reputable car rental company.

when you collect the car, make sure you ask them to teach you how to input the car return address in the GPS and save it in the car memory, it can be a pain in the ass trying to find where to return it to... and they generally don't help you that much in that regards... learn how to use their "parking coupon", some place need to use vending machine to pay, then display receipt at your dash, some free but have to indicate when you start parking - the slip should be in the car, but no one explain to us what it is)

we drove F30 320d, mighty powerful with GPS and all the gadget (on board navi, speed limit info), so we always know the speed of the road (it read the road sign and display it on the dash/hud)... of course, don't road hog, the polo can be coming at you fast & furious... autobahn no speed limit, but at certain major exit turn there will be speed limit, and the germans KEEP TO IT, so expect them to sudden brake once the speed limit sign appear!

we really liked the disneyland castle, the drive there pass through some farms were very scenic, from there, we also hop momentarily to Austria and back and pass through an awesome lake, the local seems to like to holiday there in their caravan, humongous lake, very twisty road...

actually given that BMW is the top selling brand here... PML / BMW asia should organise road trip to Germany.. their home base... + a tour around BMW Welt ...that should be fun ...imagine.. all the F cars... all the M cars convoy from locations to locations ...

canuck78;948157 said:
Darn nice, and self drive using f30 some more! Gotta do put this my travel to do list lol

were given a choice of C-class, Citroen & F30...we pick F30 coz we're already familiar with the controls of the car, less steep learning curve... but the boot is damn small, max we could squeeze were 2 huge luggage, and a lot of hard-work to squeeze in!

and last thing, becareful with dent & scratch, the car rental company very anal, make sure you report to them any dent & scratch when collecting the ride, coz when you return, one small nick they also charge you...

kon;948112 said:

Soinds great Kon...Wots the rough cost per day for the rental of the F30? Yeha I also prefer to rent a BMW as we are familiar with most of the controls.
I heard too that they are very anal about small dents and scratches and many frds ask me to really check thoroghly when collecting car.

Thanks Kon, Black beauty and Animian for the contributions.
Welcome more bro/sis to add to the above..especially the itinerary (must go attractions along the drive)
as I only have abt 4-5 days for the drive after 2 nights stay in Frankfurt city .Appreciate all advice
Thanks agn guys.

Nice! Did that with an F10.

For me unless I want a specifc model, I would normally make a basic reservation, and go over counter to check what they have on hand and most cases get a bargain that way

Hi

If you can switch your itinerary to set off from Munich, you can rent any exotic BMWs (M series included) from BMW Centre / Museum. Around 80 Euros for the day.

Fussen is lovely. Make sure you drive up to the Neuschwanstein Castle while there.

Understand Hertz has tie up with BMW in SG as both under Sime Darby group but not so sure in Germany.

You may wish to visit Stuttgart and Esslingen though may be a little out of way. Esslingen is a beautiful contemporary town with 1900 century buildings and breweries still standing.

Stuttgart has got Mercedes Museum and can catch VFB Stuttgart live in action at Mercedes Benz Arena.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the useful inputs. Keep it coming as a few of the forumers have also expressed interest in this self-drive route. Hope to see more ideas and tips especially from those done it before with first-hand tips and maybe if comprehensive enuff later, moderators can make it a sticky. :eek:

By the way, some bros told me not to spend too much time on the Romantic road if I have limited time.
They advise me on the Romantic road, just do Rothenberg and then head straight to Fussen and spend more days there as the scenery is much nicer than the other smaller towns on the Romantic road itself. Any comments on this?

Thanks all .

Romantic road are mostly old churches and castle, i get bored after 2 days, enough of church & castle... but I wouldn't skip the disneyland castle (can't remember the name, but the disneyland castle was copied from this one)

kon;950064 said:
Romantic road are mostly old churches and castle, i get bored after 2 days, enough of church & castle... but I wouldn't skip the disneyland castle (can't remember the name, but the disneyland castle was copied from this one)

That would be Neuschwanstein Castle :)

Yes Kon, I ll be covering Neuschwanstein Castle when I arrive in Fussen. On the romantic road , most likely I ll just pass thru Rothenburg and then to Fussen. Then probably drive around some lakes there and get up to Zugspitz, the highest peak in Germany for the beautiful scenary. Still gathering info here and there. Thanks guys for the contributions. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegas79download

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back