Shifting from "R" to "P"

falcoroy

Hi everybody,

Do anyone xperience this before? After parking, i shift from "R" to "P" and there a LOUD "crank". (it only happen to the above and not for the other gears) It doesnt sound normal to me.
Can anyone advise?

My ride : 1 month old e90 320i

Thank you....

Re: Shifting from "R" to "P"

hi i experience the same in my e90 320... i think it is quite normal.....

its a good practice to shift from R to N first, then to P. something about making the gearbox last longer.

Saw this in E46fanatics...

i realiosed the same happens on my mercedes so i think it shld be normal

hetraa;171596 said:
its a good practice to shift from R to N first, then to P. something about making the gearbox last longer.

Saw this in E46fanatics...

I'm not an expert but here's what I think:

I think this happens when u stop & shift straight from D to P (before pulling handbrake) So what happens is that the gearbox is stopping the car from moving,i.e. the wheels are being stopped from moving by the gearbox
So when u start off again & shift from P to D, the gearbox has to disengage the wheels hence the crunching sound

what I do to avoid this crunching sound is to shift to N first, pull handbrake, ensure car doesnt move (i.e. wheels are stopped from moving by handbrake, not gearbox)
then shift to P
When start off again, there's no crunching of the gearbox

When it helps in the longevity of the gearbox, I really dont know.
But avoiding the awful crunching sound is enough for me to adopt this practice
Besides I think brake pads are cheaper to replace than the gearbox in the long run.

Maybe other experts can share their experience as well
Hope this helps...

cheers....

Hey guys

thanks for the pointers... i will give it a try asap... hope it works, at least i know i m not alone...

Agreed with shifting to N first, pull handbrake and ensure that car doesn't move before shifting to P.
Helps to maintain the gear and ensures smoother shifting of the gear, first hand experience from my old w211 carried forward to my E60

I had that too. but after reversing I'm stoping, I turn-off/stop engine before I engage it back to P. no sound at all. same for D, turn-off/stop engine to P. no *crank.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back