Re: Sign up for BMWSG Sepang Track Day 4 Feb 2012

Elite;746424 said:
Lol ... Took the other car -- now there's a legit reason to go tracking topless -- lower CG, better weight distribution :D

hahah yah.. just remember who taught you that.
The additional drag at a big track like SIC may be enough to offset those advantages though. Also more apparent with hard top convertibles vs softs.

Thing is.. Lap to lap the 105-180 window was can be 13.8 up vs 13.8 down, or as far apart as 13.6 down vs 14.0 up. So actually faster in a straight line with top down. Possibilities:

1) There's lots of flow separation with the top up, to the point where dropping the top doesn't increase drag. This is highly unlikely and can be coastdown tested.
2) Dropping the top actually reduces drag. Even less likely and coastdown results can tell.
3) Variance from other factors; mainly water, oil, air temperatures and the ECU compensations for it affect power so there's no trend in up vs down because a proper test (ABAB) same stint, strict process, was not conducted.

Separately, top down is less safe in a rollover though... arms can get thrown outside of car unless you wear arm restraints. Upper body too. Hardtops probably are able to support a meaningful amount of load.

Gerald81;746673 said:
Great track day as always, thanks for organising Shawn!

Many thanks to Shaun too for doing a test lap in my car. First time ever driving an STI, first time ever driving my car, and you beat my personal best time :oops:

BTW what's the horsepower on the stock 1M? It was pulling away from me on the straights... I think I need to get my car dynoed again, heh...

No prob Gerald, thanks for so kindly allowing the slot swap :) It was the least I could given that Lung was out getting his tires hot before we set hot pressures. Glad you got a new PB after.. progress is wonderful.

If you look at your data I'm sure you'll see I was going very easy on the brakes (forgot you had ducts and hate killing a car even before owner drives it himself), getting used to the gear gaps, and mainly paying attention looking for the steering issue you mentioned. There's lots more time to be had mate. Next time :D

1M is stock power right now cept for the exhaust system. Probably putting out 340 crank hp or so. That's my guess. Accel in first and second stint was very good, then fell off slightly to a still good level as engine saturated with heat, remaining consistent as this reduced level for the remaining 30 laps.

Cheers mate... call you soon about scales haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun, remember I was telling you that my car had an overheating problem? I realised coolant temp went up to 105C when you were doing your hotlap. Not your fault, I wasn't paying attention to the gauges, haha. Have to confess though, I subsequently remebered to switch on the automatic intercooler water sprayer on my laps after that, which kept temps at just about 100C. The cooler temps probably helped my speed on the straights (and hence lap times).

Yeah I know you were taking it waaay easy and were still getting used to the gear ratios and all, but still it gave me an insightful glimpse of something to aim for! Looking forward to the next time!

And yeah I can't wait to get the scales out of the house... maybe I could get my car weighed too, wherever you're doing it :D

Quantites based on the last set of data you sent:

1M 105-185 km/h: ~9.2 sec
Your STI 105-185 km/h: ~13.5 sec

Shaun;746679 said:
Quantites based on the last set of data you sent:

1M 105-185 km/h: ~9.2 sec
Your STI 105-185 km/h: ~13.5 sec

Wow that is a HUGE difference! Either I'm way too slow getting on the throttle out of T15, or the road dyno that quoted 300whp for my car was way off, if the 1M is indeed about 340hp at the crank. Useful information to know anyway, thanks!

Gerald81;746678 said:
Shaun, remember I was telling you that my car had an overheating problem? I realised coolant temp went up to 105C when you were doing your hotlap. Not your fault, I wasn't paying attention to the gauges, haha. Have to confess though, I subsequently remebered to switch on the automatic intercooler water sprayer on my laps after that, which kept temps at just about 100C. The cooler temps probably helped my speed on the straights.

Yeah I know you were taking it waaay easy and were still getting used to the gear ratios and all, but still it gave me an insightful glimpse of something to aim for! Looking forward to the next time!

And yeah I can't wait to get the scales out of the house... maybe I could get my car weighed too, wherever you're doing it :D

105 C oops lol

Mate, sure.. since the scales will be all set up under a lift it makes sense to make the most of it and get as many cars done as possible. In fact there are a few guys off this forum alone who are interested in getting their cars setup, so we can arrange it. Scales that pay for themselves!

STI
GT3
Atom
BMW
BMW
BMW

A full day :D

Gerald81;746680 said:
Wow that is a HUGE difference! Either I'm way too slow getting on the throttle out of T15, or the road dyno that quoted 300whp for my car was way off

Oh it's not you don't worry. The comparison takes place along straights so it does not involve turn exits or driver skill. It is just the car. Shift durations are about the same across both drivers. How not to love data? :) To make you sadder, the 9.2 sec is reached with me as a 76kg passenger freezing my ass off with 19C AC blasting away :D Driver stays warm with all the shifting and braking going on lol.

I have to admit that I was surprised when you mentioned the power level of the car because it didn't feel like it matched the number, despite the short gearing. Some dynos are happy. Time for back to back dynoing. Are you interested? We may be dynoing sometime soon.. development. The dyno and cell at the Subaru dealership in Toa Payoh are great.

Shaun;746682 said:
Oh it's not you don't worry. The comparison takes place along straights so it does not involve turn exits or driver skill. It is just the car. Shifting durations are about the same across both drivers :) How not to love data?

I have to admit that I was surprised when you mentioned the power level of the car because it didn't feel like it matched the number, despite the short gearing. Some dynos are happy. Time for back to back dynoing. Are you interested? We may be dynoing sometime soon.. development. The dyno and cell at the Subaru dealership in Toa Payoh are great.

Indeed, what would we do without data! That's a bit too much info on the AC being on full blast though, now I'm just depressed...oh hey how much aero drag is caused by the roof vent? Surely that counts for the 4 sec difference!

Yeah sure I'm interested in doing a proper dyno - so far it's just been road dynoed by some software, so it's based on vehicle weight and acceleration or something like that. Probably the vehicle weight assumption was inaccurate as I have done some weight reduction mods, and as you say, some dynos are just "happy". Let me know when! I do have an aversion to the Subaru dealership but what the heck!

Gerald, ok will do mate.

===

At the trackday saw some photographers along pit wall, T2, T5. Are they on this forum? Can you PM me please I'd like to buy some photos from you :) Thanks and cheers

THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL TD SHAWN!!

Shaun;746880 said:
At the trackday saw some photographers along pit wall, T2, T5. Are they on this forum? Can you PM me please I'd like to buy some photos from you :) Thanks and cheers

Hey Shaun!! i'll sell you my whole set of Ascendent M/S photos.. for a ride in the Atom!! HAHA!!

Dave Jr;746908 said:
Hey Shaun!! i'll sell you my whole set of Ascendent M/S photos.. for a ride in the Atom!! HAHA!!

Sure thing mate! I'd be content just getting a ride in return in the CTR on Hoosiers when it is back to full health hahah. I'll take the photos as payment for the video from before :D

Shaun;747010 said:
Sure thing mate! I'd be content just getting a ride in return in the CTR on Hoosiers when it is back to full health hahah. I'll take the photos as payment for the video from before :D

DEAL!! pls sit tight as I'll go 2.11 on it..

Haha nice! When I witness it, you'll replace ryan as my new ou xiang! I'll be your biggest fan :D

Shaun;746238 said:
Great weather, no incidents, another super trackday :D Thanks Shawn.

1M is a cool little car... ~38 stock assuming it comes with mich super sports? Not sure.

570 SL on Corsas, stock everything, cast iron rotors. Ryan "Glorypig" Chua driving first trackday with this car.
1st lap 2:30.5 (traffic)
2nd lap 2:30.5 (traffic)
3rd lap 2:28.6 (traffic)
4th lap 2:27.3 (clear)
5th lap 2:27.0 (traffic)
No more laps because of severe brake overheat (pads followed by fluid).

Especially on any big power full weight roadcar..no ducts = fuct
as the REP mentioned at least 3 time across 2 weeks prior to the trackday and to 12 other drivers of similar cars before that. In sports road cars, biggest difference is always ducts above and beyond pads, lines, fluid. Much more on this later.

Familiarization is far from complete and with line changes and brakes sorted, mid 25s for sure. The newer lambos are really powerful and smooth vs the older ones; and current 550 SE, 570 SL, in a straight line nearly identical acceleration to SV, and despite differences in multiple areas, net nearly identical overall performance (Gallardos, not SV). Lots of understeer built into the -4 versions, new and old.

New Aventador has gone 2:24 stock, not sure about driver, will be nice to get some data on it soon.

Road car progress going real quick in recent years. For reference, F1 driver in 430 Scuderia on semis 2:28.6 running very wide off T5, but corrected for that somewhere around 2:28.0. F458 on similar tires (semi) should do ~26.

dude I'm nothing special. It's the car that is good, but of course big thanks to Ascendant for the past and current analyses, concepts, all invaluable. Karting also helps so much on the physical and mental conditioning. Ascendant and Veritas FTW! Looking forward to dedicated trackcar :)

As mentioned before when I was starting out in my previous Z4M, I strongly recommend the program to everyone in both cars and karts. Hope more friends join us regularly for karting too. Tremendous fun. Little risk, extreme intensity.

(and yes you were right too about the brakes and safety)

I also feel very violated by your avatar. Hear from my lawyer soon.

Shaun;746880 said:

Could any photographers at the trackday also PM me as well? I'd like to buy some photos from you if possible, thanks!

Update on the turnout:

-Avin couldnt make it, but found his own replacement, Carey.
-Clara had car problems and informed me early on, but drove up to Sepang nonetheless. She also found her own replacement Tuck Bin, so I will put her name under the piggybank.
-AC323 drove up to 209km and had to have his car towed back. So I will refund/piggybank him as this is a genuine and not a dua case.
-YZYgold's car also developed problems halfway so he couldnt complete the jouney. I will also refund/piggybank him.
- Justin made it up, but his car developed problems so I refunded him.

Munich x 3, Chris and Duff also didnt make it, but I cannot refund because we dont have any on the waitlist.

total we had 32 cars last saturday. And after 3 x refunds/piggybank, we collected a total of 37 cars' fees.

As long as we can still afford to, I will refund those who started the journey, or even arrived on track, but the car developed problems along the way. Strictly speaking some may argue that if your car develops a problem it is not the organiser's fault, but if its a genuine case I have decided it is still okay to.

Piggybank thus far:
Kuvesh
Junwei
Eggz
Machoman
Ian
Peng Toh x 2
Ted
Clara
YZYGold
Ac323

Please correct me on any registration discrepancy. Hope I didnt miss anyone out on Sat's mini-rush at the registration table.

Please be infomed that the registration for the next track day, April 8 12-4pm, will commence on Monday 13 Feb, 12pm in another thread.

The extra time is for us to decide if we want to have a straight 4 hour track day, or to do something different with the extra hour.

The weather was so good....
Thanks RB for organizing it.

I know. I had to pay extra just to get good weather. Heh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
igo88app
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back