Re: Sign up for Sepang Track Day 2 June 2012

Shaun;826179 said:
"Oh [Tanzy], you are so wise, you're like a furry little Buddha!" - Anchorman

===

Thanks Shawn. Great trackday and super weather.

Sorry for the red flag (short short one lah). It was not my decision to put 3rd passenger in back of car. :lol: I claim ignorance.

I am not hairy. :shakebon:

Yes. Must have been a great track day with so few cars. Too bad I couldn't make it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks to everyone for making the track day possible. It was a fun day.

Was the GTS realy driven by AJ, how come "first timer" can be so fast knn... dont waste my red tape.

OK a couple of serious issues.

- This time round only a quarter of the field came on time (thank you). the rest came mere minutes before green flag. I had totally no time for a safety brief. Is safety brief still necessary? Should I still conduct it? Or send people out and hope for good sense. In this particular session, did anyone spot anyone doing un-track-friendly actions with their cars? What should I do with latecomers vs safety brief vs eating into track time. Strict vs friendly?

- Track fees for 2013 is increased to 8000rm per hour. This means 24000rm per 3 hour track day, or 600rm per car for next year. Actually the 8000/hr rate starts for 2012, but because I booked this year's dates all in 2011, they gave me 2011 rates. But for next year's onwards, it will be the increased rate. Be forwarned.

- I have booked 5 dates for 2013, all saturdays 9-12pm sessions. Pending confirmation of these dates by Sepang (to see if race schedule will bump us out or not), we should have them in Mar, May, July, Sep and Nov. Most likely I will have to throw in another RM2k as booking deposit. (our current booking deposit is 10k, making a total of 12k) FYI

- pending payment for 1 last minute entrant (thanks for that!!) we have exactly 40 payments for our track day. However, Liam's car suffered damage on the way up to sepang; his car just sat at the pit. As per SOP for non dua case we will rollover. Clara fell sick last minute couldnt come up to join us. Nicolas has a last minute work trip to korea. Godjira's wife want to divorce him if he came for td. Last 3 cases how

- so this track day we have 5 no shows and 1 car spoil. making it a 34 car track day. Not bad.

- Sepang actually provides RON97 petrol at rm2.90 which is the same pump price as outside. Is there demand for refill? If there is, I will arrange for it next td. If we do that, we need not queue up outside at petronas which has only 4 pumps with 97.

Racebred;826355 said:

Was the GTS realy driven by AJ, how come "first timer" can be so fast knn... dont waste my red tape.

- This time round only a quarter of the field came on time (thank you). the rest came mere minutes before green flag. I had totally no time for a safety brief. Is safety brief still necessary? Should I still conduct it? Or send people out and hope for good sense. In this particular session, did anyone spot anyone doing un-track-friendly actions with their cars? What should I do with latecomers vs safety brief vs eating into track time. Strict vs friendly?

- Track fees for 2013 is increased to 8000rm per hour. This means 24000rm per 3 hour track day, or 600rm per car for next year. Actually the 8000/hr rate starts for 2012, but because I booked this year's dates all in 2011, they gave me 2011 rates. But for next year's onwards, it will be the increased rate. Be forwarned.

- I have booked 5 dates for 2013, all saturdays 9-12pm sessions. Pending confirmation of these dates by Sepang (to see if race schedule will bump us out or not), we should have them in Mar, May, July, Sep and Nov. Most likely I will have to throw in another RM2k as booking deposit. (our current booking deposit is 10k, making a total of 12k) FYI

- pending payment for 1 last minute entrant (thanks for that!!) we have exactly 40 payments for our track day. However, Liam's car suffered damage on the way up to sepang; his car just sat at the pit. As per SOP for non dua case we will rollover. Clara fell sick last minute couldnt come up to join us. Nicolas has a last minute work trip to korea. Godjira's wife want to divorce him if he came for td. Last 3 cases how

- so this track day we have 5 no shows and 1 car spoil. making it a 34 car track day. Not bad.

- Sepang actually provides RON97 petrol at rm2.90 which is the same pump price as outside. Is there demand for refill? If there is, I will arrange for it next td. If we do that, we need not queue up outside at petronas which has only 4 pumps with 97.

AJ is a fast learner ......................
yes, got petrol to re-fill at the pit will be great for all.................

cheers

Racebred;826355 said:
did anyone spot anyone doing un-track-friendly actions with their cars?

Yes, apparently Gerald spotted someone (not me ah) doing bad things. Still waiting for video from Simon to confirm and correct. So IMO safety briefing is still necessary. It's also helps the organizer get all the indemnity forms at the same time, distribute the wrist bands.

Given the risks out on track, it makes no sense not to have a safety briefing. However, it may save the organizers some hassle if only drivers who have less than 2 trackdays with BMWsg in the last 12 months, come early and attend a mandatory safety brief. The few who qualify are less likely to be late if they know there is a specific and short list.

What should I do with latecomers vs safety brief vs eating into track time. Strict vs friendly?
If latecomers haven't attended 1-2 BMWsg trackdays in the last year or so, then they should have to attend a later safety brief say 30 minutes after the start of the trackday. This can be conducted by any experienced tracker who has finished his first stint and is resting himself or his car. The 30 minutes of waiting before being able to drive will serve as a deterrent against coming late, and not cost other on-time trackers any seat time.

Clara fell sick last minute couldnt come up to join us. Nicolas has a last minute work trip to korea. Godjira's wife want to divorce him if he came for td. Last 3 cases how.
Much as I feel sorry for these folks, those are personal problems and should not affect the trackday or reserves. I say this without bias (Godjira is a friend and client), just think things should be kept clean.

Great, and it saves the travel time too.

Racebred;826355 said:

hmm, I saw a white GTR that was all over the place on track...not sure if this is the car you're referring to or not. Although, when I did make my way past him he backed off and didn't try anything stupid afterwards.

The petrol at Sepang would be a great idea! How many pumps do they have?

Maybe instead of having a safety briefing (due to time constraints and late-comes etc.), you can think about producing a briefing card that explains the basic procedures/rules and the different flags. Then if people need clarification they can ask you, otherwise I imagine it would be quite straight forward for people to understand.

On another note, It's my understanding that it costs about 1000rm to use the official timing system and transponders at Sepang, would people be interested in doing that? It's only about $33RM if 30 people want to go for it...

OK I will do the following:

- STRICTLY insist on safety brief for those who have not done more than 3 Sepang track days with BMWSG. It does not matter if you are a track newbie or not. But if you have not tracked with BMWSG before (or less than 3 times since 2011) then you must come for the safety brief. I will conduct one 15mins before green flag, one at green flag, and one 15mins after green flag. Wrist bands will be distributed after the safety brief for newbies. Convoy leaders should be responsible for the time the convoy arrives at the track, for the newbies' sake.

Accidents occur because of miscommunication, and or mismatch of expectations. These occur at 3 main areas: overtaking, at the corners, and where you have bigger speed differential (exit pit lane + cool down and warm up laps). BMWSG's treatment of the above may differ from other track days. So if you are new to BMWSG, you need to be attuned to what everyone else are doing. Double correction = accident. Generally we stick to our lines regardless of speed.

So, I will do the unfriendly, and insist on a safety brief. If you are late, please dont blame me for eating up your track time. Fair?

- Currently, I am seeing a trend on participants. Regular BMWSG forum members are fast becoming a minority. There are now multiple big groups from other forums coming in. And also thanks to them, they are the singular reason why the track day is still viable to run. Thanks guys. However, these seasoned trackkies have not tracked with us, so they must integrate into our culture (in terms of safety expectations), as our MP will say. I will also definitely be charging some form of an admin fee from next TD onwards. I have been putting this off, but I dont think I should be doing volunteering work if the majority is actually not from this forum in the first place.

- Tell Sepang to arrange for refuelling at the pits. Can I have more response on who might actully use this service? I will feel paiseh if in the end only 2 cars utilitse this service. It's not wrong, just paiseh la.

taaxed;826458 said:
hmm, I saw a white GTR that was all over the place on track...not sure if this is the car you're referring to or not. Although, when I did make my way past him he backed off and didn't try anything stupid afterwards.

The petrol at Sepang would be a great idea! How many pumps do they have?

Maybe instead of having a safety briefing (due to time constraints and late-comes etc.), you can think about producing a briefing card that explains the basic procedures/rules and the different flags. Then if people need clarification they can ask you, otherwise I imagine it would be quite straight forward for people to understand.

On another note, It's my understanding that it costs about 1000rm to use the official timing system and transponders at Sepang, would people be interested in doing that? It's only about $33RM if 30 people want to go for it...

We already have a safety FAQ in this folder. The only reason why we still need a physical brief is because we are human. There will still be people who dont bother/ forget, as with most other similar examples in life. Unless we are robots, we cannot rely on people to read off a safety card like those in an aircraft. It'll be unfair to the other car if one guy unknowingly changes his line at the corner to allow a faster car to go past and both cars langah (this has happened before, more often than we think, in many other groups' TD). Coz both thought they were doing the right thing.

I'm not sure how many fuelling rigs they have, I'll ask them.

As for transponders, we need not commit to a minimum amount, but it is very unfair to ask extra staff to mann the equipment if only say 5-10 ppl request for it. At the moment, I dont see say 20 cars wanting it. If I can get a substantial number of people wanting to get the transponders, I'll be happy to arrange for it. But at the moment the only impediment is critical mass.

Racebred;826481 said:
- Currently, I am seeing a trend on participants. Regular BMWSG forum members are fast becoming a minority. There are now multiple big groups from other forums coming in. And also thanks to them, they are the singular reason why the track day is still viable to run. Thanks guys. However, these seasoned trackkies have not tracked with us, so they must integrate into our culture (in terms of safety expectations), as our MP will say. I will also definitely be charging some form of an admin fee from next TD onwards. I have been putting this off, but I dont think I should be doing volunteering work if the majority is actually not from this forum in the first place.

- Tell Sepang to arrange for refuelling at the pits. Can I have more response on who might actully use this service? I will feel paiseh if in the end only 2 cars utilitse this service. It's not wrong, just paiseh la.

As discussed before, you should charge admin fee to hire a pretty receptionist to do the work.

Almost all the cars who put in decent track time will need to refuel half-way through the session and maybe brim their tanks at the end before heading back to Singapore.

Only incident I noticed was a car that ignored the red flag to complete a hotlap. It was weaving through slower cars on the back straight that were entering the pit-lane.. I can't remember the make and model though.

Having the option to refuel at the circuit would be very convenient, if trackies do not refuel during the track section, I am sure they will refuel before heading back to Singapore... Definitely a necessity over good to have...

Gerald81;826672 said:
Only incident I noticed was a car that ignored the red flag to complete a hotlap. It was weaving through slower cars on the back straight that were entering the pit-lane.. I can't remember the make and model though.

Definitely not me. Might be one of the Foreign Talents since some of them have a penchance for ignoring red lights or maybe the driver was confused by looking at the wrong set of lights. Blame the lack of overhead signal lights and poor planning on the back straight. :thinking:

Tanzy;826732 said:
Definitely not me. Might be one of the Foreign Talents since some of them have a penchance for ignoring red lights or maybe the driver was confused by looking at the wrong set of lights. Blame the lack of overhead signal lights and poor planning on the back straight. :thinking:

Hahaha indeed... LTA should do something about it!

FWIW I meant GeraldTWJ and not Gerald81 :D

BTW Gerald81, how's your heat issue?

Shaun;826754 said:
FWIW I meant GeraldTWJ and not Gerald81 :D

BTW Gerald81, how's your heat issue?

Shaun, I'm still seeing temps of up to 105C by the 2nd hotlap, unfortunately. I'm gonna try two things to fix it - replacing my pre-mixed coolant with distiller water & water wetter, and turning on the heater during hotlaps. Hopefully the roof vent helps keep the driver and co-driver cool, heh. I should have tried the heater on Saturday, but didn't think of it then.

Does SIC still offer those testing sessions on weekdays?

MachoMan's inputs:

Compulsory Safety Briefing - YES

Re-fuelling - YES

Transponder - NO

Pretty receptionist to do admin - YES YES YES YES YES.....!!

Did Gerald see the hiong driver while he was driving my car or the porky? I haven't seen the videos yet. Will update soon.

MachoMan;826795 said:
Did Gerald see the hiong driver while he was driving my car or the porky? I haven't seen the videos yet. Will update soon.

He said your s2k :wavey:

Gerald81;826773 said:
Shaun, I'm still seeing temps of up to 105C by the 2nd hotlap, unfortunately. I'm gonna try two things to fix it - replacing my pre-mixed coolant with distiller water & water wetter, and turning on the heater during hotlaps. Hopefully the roof vent helps keep the driver and co-driver cool, heh. I should have tried the heater on Saturday, but didn't think of it then.

Does SIC still offer those testing sessions on weekdays?

Sorry to hear. No option for bigger/better rad? and/or bigger/better oil cooler with a good oil-water interface so the thermal loads are shared?

Yes there are bunch in July. They are awesome. Click foward to July. None in June. Sepang Circuit Track Days | Sepang International Circuit, Malaysia

Stis run very hot stock. Mine overheats by 2nd lap. Only way is to shortshift at 5500rpm down the 2 straights. That way, u can track until no petrol.

My s5 runs 123c on normal driving. It hits 130 when lapping the track. Premium say its normal, and since no limp home safety cutoff, I boh chap, just whack redline.

MachoMan;826810 said:
Then I should have it. Stay tuned.

Mea culpa. If this was about a white GTI going slow-mo, then that would me. Truly apologise if any potential danger was caused.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shabaooo
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back