Singapore's star paddler Li Jiawei retires.........

ac323

Staff member
Table tennis star Li Jiawei has brought the curtains down to her competitive career.

Li, 31, has represented Singapore since 1996, including at four Olympic Games where she won a silver and bronze medal in the women's team event at the 2008 Beijing and 2012 London Games respectively.

The former world No 3 was also part of the team that pulled off a shock win over China to win the 2010 World Team Championship in Moscow.

"I am very grateful to the STTA and to Singapore for the opportunities they have given me and I hope to contribute back to the country in whatever I do in the future," said Li, who is currently 21st in the world rankings.

Also retiring is team-mate Sun Beibei, who was a reserve at the London Games.

The announcement was made by the Singapore Table Tennis Association at its headquarters in Toa Payoh on Thursday.

Re: Singapore's star paddler Li Jiawei retires.........

So now how? One COE lapsed, another COE issue to another PRC player?

I'll say thank you Li Jiawei for all she had done here in Singapore

For someone who came to china at a young age and played her heart out for her adopted country
Yes, she was paid lots of money that cos she did what was expected of her to do

Now that she has a family of her own, her husband and child; her priorities has changed

We ought to be less crude with our wordings and ask yourself; what have you done to the country of birth besides contributing to the taxes and forums... ???

Peace...

dpointt;938312 said:

For someone who came to china at a young age and played her heart out for her adopted country

Now that she has a family of her own, her husband and child; her priorities has changed

We ought to be less crude with our wordings and ask yourself; what have you done to the country of birth besides contributing to the taxes and forums... ???

Peace...

Most males here would quickly point out their 2 - 2.5 years contribution to the country, for far lesser pay, and some would say, facing far more dangerous hazards (which, at times, have taken their young lives).

Just answering your question, that's all. Peace :)

dpointt;938312 said:

Peace...
How about looking at our legi body builders, they among the best if not the best in the World for their respective weight classes. Latest was International Mr/MrsUniverse Senior, SG was crown 1st (and 2nd too i think) in the participated weight class.

These guys have no funding and all are from their own earned money. Why they still do it? It's their passion in it and pride to win as a Singaporean in regional and international events, however not a single cent did the government support. Why?

In general, we r even, SG gave money and she did what she suppose to do. So I still think one of the best word to describe is really "tan gao liao, thanks and bye", mercenary. I personally feel differently between a mercenary and passion driven sports individuals.

Just one feed back to your question to tinkle your brain cells. Peace to ya.

Last edited by a moderator:

she had gotten what she had wanted..... came young(er), single, poor.... now married with son, million $$$ and rich tai tai.... poor singhapoorh!

dpointt said:

I thought anyone who is working is contributing to our GDP, no?

So only sportsmen contributed to our country?

if she really want to contribute to Singapore, she can do what Jing Junhong did....in staying back in SG and contributing to the table tennis development.
the rest are just hired hands to me
yes, i am that crude....no need to mince words or act nice

Prease, every year IRAS thanks me for my contribution to nation building leh. Pingpong is not even close to nation building!

Frankly, she is a "contributor of medal and honour" in the Singapore sports scene, but therein lies the flaws of the system, as I have insinuated in my COE reply. What counts is not just medals and honour, but the longer term development of table tennis after her retirement.

I agree with the Jing Junhong example - that reflects passion. Can I call Jing a mercenary sportsman? No.

Can I call Egmar Concalves a "contributor" to our soccer scene? No, he came here, went home to Brazil. I bet not many people here remember him.

"For someone who came to china at a young age and played her heart out for her adopted country. Yes, she was paid lots of money that cos she did what was expected of her to do."

I think many foreign workers contributed to our society without earning any accolades.

To me, it shows that the system is flawed in the longer term vision after importing all the sports talents. Sure, short term medals and achievements, but longer term are we improving? Look at our soccer scene - still stuck at ASEAN level despite promising World Cup qualification in 2010 !!!

In fact, we went downwards on FIFA rankings with all the foreign players, while Thailand and Malaysia went up !!!

wait... so she's retiring and going back to China?

my contributions to singapore may be little....no medals, no big names but my home n heart is here
like what my uncle say...i will f-ing take a m16 n buttstroke any f**ker who dares to invade SG.
can some folks say that with 100% heart??

look_at_how_these_singapore_athletes_recite_our_pledge-thumbnail.jpg

Like what some of my teachers in primary school last time say - "No money to play sports ....... " and not to forget "play sports grow up no money ....."

kenntona;938369 said:
Frankly, she is a "contributor of medal and honour" in the Singapore sports scene, but therein lies the flaws of the system, as I have insinuated in my COE reply. What counts is not just medals and honour, but the longer term development of table tennis after her retirement.

I agree with the Jing Junhong example - that reflects passion. Can I call Jing a mercenary sportsman? No.

Can I call Egmar Concalves a "contributor" to our soccer scene? No, he came here, went home to Brazil. I bet not many people here remember him.

"For someone who came to china at a young age and played her heart out for her adopted country. Yes, she was paid lots of money that cos she did what was expected of her to do."

I think many foreign workers contributed to our society without earning any accolades.

To me, it shows that the system is flawed in the longer term vision after importing all the sports talents. Sure, short term medals and achievements, but longer term are we improving? Look at our soccer scene - still stuck at ASEAN level despite promising World Cup qualification in 2010 !!!

In fact, we went downwards on FIFA rankings with all the foreign players, while Thailand and Malaysia went up !!!

jaskin said:
wait... so she's retiring and going back to China?

[UPDATE: The Straits Times reports that she will return to Beijing with her family. STTA says she will be based in China but "will arrange for her to do something for Singapore".]

Like what some of my teachers in primary school last time say - "No money to play sports ....... " and not to forget "play sports grow up no money ....."

even if bo pian play sports because marks no good also cannot gaurantee can win medal......

So gahmen to meet KPI must play safe - buy those that got chance one to bring to SG. Makan the medal first .... other things other minister talk later ....
kenntona;938369 said:

Can a sex worker be considered contributing to nation building?

I never say Kenntona

kenntona;938381 said:
[UPDATE: The Straits Times reports that she will return to Beijing with her family. STTA says she will be based in China but "will arrange for her to do something for Singapore".]

wow ultimate mercenary. They should just do away without a press conference and let her slide into obscurity

kenntona;938293 said:
So now how? One COE lapsed, another COE issue to another PRC player?

Yea, saw her pic in one of the PI's showroom in UBI... she was collecting a white F10... wonder what will happen to it... 8)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123bclub77
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back