Slicks/Semi Slicks destroy engines?

centurion

Slicks/Semi Slicks destroy engines? A raft of destroyed engines I have read recently, probably because of more and more people hungering for timecuts using hoosiers nowadays. Here's a proven M97 engine from the Carrera 2 S died because of oil starvation: Boxster S 987 3.8 X51 engine failure... - The Cayman Club

Simple really. Even the dry sumped engine can experience oil starvation at extreme Gs. When cornering the tyres don't slip, give more Gs and then the oil gets sloshed about. Once the oil pickup can pickup, there goes the conrod bearing in your oil pan.

One of the reasons why the max tyre I'm having is the PS2. In any case the car manual says that if you use slicks there goes the warranty. The Gs are recorded in the OBD NVRAM so it's gonna be difficult to dispute.

The new Porsche engines for the FL models 911 and Box/Cay have 4 pumps now and there's a well publicized video of the engine in the simulator for tens of thousands of miles. The new M3 engine has aux pump (single) to take over in high G situations. But other cars, GTI, Evo, STI, probably subject to the same oil starvation issues too.

Re: Slicks/Semi Slicks destroy engines?

From what I know of the E92 M3, it comes with a specially-designed wet sump lubrication system to ensure all the moving mechanical parts of the engine work to optimum efficiency.

Race car engines usually come with a dry sump, partly to lower the height of the engine within the car but also to prevent oil starvation during high speed cornering. However, the unique design of the M3’s oil channels, and its wet sump, mean such an arrangement can still be used without the risk of oil starvation during acceleration, braking and cornering. Even with lateral forces of 1.4g, greater than those acting on you when taking off in a jet aircraft, the engine’s oil supply remains constant. This move also saves weight because the pump required by a car fitted with a dry sump is no longer needed to shift oil around the block.

However, the US M3 engine will have oil starvation problems on left handed, high G corners at limited duration (roughly 10 seconds). It is a combination of oil starvation and oil foaming. A temporary remedy is to put 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of extra oil in the crankcase during track events. The E36 M3 engine does not experience the same problems as the E30 M3 engine when the oil is over filled. (The E30 M3 engine will blow or leak oil out of the rear engine seal if too much oil is used.) A low cost fix to the problem is to install the M3 Lightweight oil pan/pump kit. The US M3 engine produces approximately four bars of oil pressure in the block and one bar in the head.

I think the US market cars are different from the Europe ones so it could be isolated cases with the US guys having blown boxster engines. Its hard to say especially when there are variances btw both markets.

yes it does happen. but i'm surprised it affected dry sumped engines too.
for some lesser mortal cars, you can even monitor pressure drops with street tyres!!

imo, it is possible and the possibility is higher with full slicks on street cars
for semi slick, i think it is still safe

I'm sure a track oriented car like Lotus has sufficient baffles and stuff to handle oil starvation.

Cent
At wot Gs are we talkin bout here..
PS2 on ur Cayman can still pull a respectable 0.9g w/o any issue
and FYG, Hoosier is far more slick than MPSC for eg.

Omar
Scared? ....Don't be...E46M3 CSL came in semi slick and the car pulls 1.05G without any issue wotsoever..

TripleM;416512 said:
Cent

Omar
Scared? ....Don't be...E46M3 CSL came in semi slick and the car pulls 1.05G without any issue wotsoever..

Scared? I am already on Semi-Slicks for my DD. Hahaha...:lol2:

nono u guys dun get it. buy cayman best.

last time my car got destroyed by SS b4. the bugger in front of me had SS..he drove past a rock that stuck to his SS. it got launched n smashed into my car engine bay destroying my engine.

ok...truth is...all our cars r more road cars than track cars. pushed beyond limit....anything goes. dry sump or not. SS or not.

satinGHOST|r!der;416516 said:
Scared? I am already on Semi-Slicks for my DD. Hahaha...:lol2:

Eh, DD is in fact safe coz u hardly pull any G except ur own G-string

totoseow;416519 said:
nono u guys dun get it. buy cayman best.

last time my car got destroyed by SS b4. the bugger in front of me had SS..he drove past a rock that stuck to his SS. it got launched n smashed into my car engine bay destroying my engine

here is the pic of the rock i picked up...

from the graphs,

basically, RS does around 1.3-1.5G, SS does around 1.1-1.3G, whereas the good streets tyres seldom break the 1G mark.

looks like RS is super in the acceleration dept while taking a corner (right hand). street tyres have issue with getting traction.

TripleM;416512 said:
Cent

I'm not worried about PS2, they have been factory tested to death and on my pbox data it shows a stable 1G sustained at corners, 1.1G on max braking. At least 1 guy who ran the hoosiers had a blown engine even with baffle mods at 50K miles thereabouts. There is no direct link to the hoosiers but the blatant suspect would be it.

As for semi slick, it is a gray area. In any case, being a street car primarily, I'm now killing off all notions of using it for the track. Street tyres will `give' more progressively before snap oversteer. So it'd be more educational and fun and way safer both from a driving and engine life point of view.

if u dun mind the looks, get an oil press gauge. throws out all the guessworks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportooo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back