Smelly Air-Con problem!!!

xeonm3

I'm having this first morning start smelly air-con problem since I changed my air con coil 3 months ago. Anybody having this issue after changing air con coil ?

Previously I have no issue with the air con until I changed the coil. Been using the air con for about 2 years until the coil having a leak , thus have to change coil. For the first two years, I never had to off the compressor before parking over night nor to do heat treatment to kill mold or bacterial. I just off my air con after parking and next day there was no smelly smell.

Once I did the coil changed, 3-4 months after that, the smelly issue appeared. I brought back to the workshop and asked them to changed a second coil. Same issue again! 3-4 months the smell came back. FYI - coil was original Denso .

I have already tried quite a few methods based on what I read on the forum but nothing works for the long term.
I did the heat treatment plus used antibacterial spray and after a few days the smell came back without fail. I also tried to off compressor 5-10 minutes before stopping and it got worse! The smelly smell got stronger in the morning. Checked with some workshops and they mentioned this is "normal" for conti aircon !!! No way to resolve it.

My question is how come I didn't have this problem before changing my aircon coil ? Any brilliant idea to solve this issue or any workshop that can help ? Thx

Re: Smelly Air-Con problem!!!

Do u always switched on that internal circulation button to block the outside air to flow in? Maybe u can try the heat treatment again follow by turning on the Aircon auto mode... Need to let the outside air flow in via the auto mode to dry the aircon sysmtem.
Rodney from r2d told me this method and solved my problem. Don't need to waste
Money to change coil

Anyone knows what happens if you set your aircon to neither ♺+A nor ♺?

This problem happens in my previous car. Change air con filter and air con coil all no use cos the problem comes back very soon. Sold my car even before I can find out whats the problem.

Hi bro,

There are two type of smell, the leaking coil will produce an ammonia type of smell (solution is change coil).

The other is the mouldy smell, where the solution other bros posted here as drying, letting outside air in, changing ac filter etc.

Try bring it in to R2D for a correct diagnosis before you throw more money at this problem.

xeonm3;943705 said:
I'm having this first morning start smelly air-con problem since I changed my air con coil 3 months ago. Anybody having this issue after changing air con coil ?

Previously I have no issue with the air con until I changed the coil. Been using the air con for about 2 years until the coil having a leak , thus have to change coil. For the first two years, I never had to off the compressor before parking over night nor to do heat treatment to kill mold or bacterial. I just off my air con after parking and next day there was no smelly smell.

Once I did the coil changed, 3-4 months after that, the smelly issue appeared. I brought back to the workshop and asked them to changed a second coil. Same issue again! 3-4 months the smell came back. FYI - coil was original Denso .

I have already tried quite a few methods based on what I read on the forum but nothing works for the long term.
I did the heat treatment plus used antibacterial spray and after a few days the smell came back without fail. I also tried to off compressor 5-10 minutes before stopping and it got worse! The smelly smell got stronger in the morning. Checked with some workshops and they mentioned this is "normal" for conti aircon !!! No way to resolve it.

My question is how come I didn't have this problem before changing my aircon coil ? Any brilliant idea to solve this issue or any workshop that can help ? Thx

iltdqd;943735 said:
Do u always switched on that internal circulation button to block the outside air to flow in? Maybe u can try the heat treatment again follow by turning on the Aircon auto mode... Need to let the outside air flow in via the auto mode to dry the aircon sysmtem.
Rodney from r2d told me this method and solved my problem. Don't need to waste
Money to change coil

Yes internal circulation button was always on. Tried that heat method with internal circulation on and that's helps for 1 days.
2nd day parked over night and the smell came back. I can't be doing the heat treatment every night right ?

judecheung;943764 said:
This problem happens in my previous car. Change air con filter and air con coil all no use cos the problem comes back very soon. Sold my car even before I can find out whats the problem.

oh no.... I can't sell now when the COE is @ 90k+++++++ :)

Mine is the moldy smell. I did went to Rodney and he cleaned up the blower for me. So far that doesn't help.
He did mentioned another way to clean up the smell is to take out the coil and wash it. The labour is quite X for this.

And my main concern is whether the problem will come back again after 2-3 months time.

canuck78;943770 said:
Hi bro,

There are two type of smell, the leaking coil will produce an ammonia type of smell (solution is change coil).

The other is the mouldy smell, where the solution other bros posted here as drying, letting outside air in, changing ac filter etc.

Try bring it in to R2D for a correct diagnosis before you throw more money at this problem.

Not sure if this helps,I had the smell too for my car and I tried the method of driving at night on the high way,air-con without internal circulation and heater at max temp of 28 degress and fan on full with windows wind down. The smell was gone the next day and stayed gone till now. But once in a while when I have time I would do this method on the way home. :)

Mine is a leakage from the front passenger side where the netting is. It was so bad that it wet both carpets in front seats. I have this wet smell too. Under warranty still so went PML to see SA. He say inside choke, got to clear it. Appointment fixed a few weeks back, tomorrow going in for rectification. Hope it's fine & solved after this. This is the only upsetting flaw for me so far. Otherwise, I have been enjoying my ride & love the sheer driving pleasure.

If after I take back the car still got smell, I will have to try all methods u all suggested already.

I have this issue too. The smell is exceptionally obvious in the morning. Similarly spoke to few workshop and all said its normal for conti cars.. Huh?!?!
I'll try the highway method next time as suggested by Bro Qianle.

Also try to air your car more by winding down your windows say every morning for a few min or almost nearly home.

You will be surprised how much moisture is in the air, esp in a cool day and condensation appears on the inside glass surface.

Too bad there's isn't such a thing as in-car dehumidifier which would certainly help alot.

Also try to air your car more by winding down your windows say every morning for a few min or almost nearly home.

You will be surprised how much moisture is in the air, esp in a cool day and condensation appears on the inside glass surface.

Too bad there's isn't such a thing as in-car dehumidifier which would certainly help alot.

we need to find a solution to this problem or to find out what's the cause of this problem.
When do you start have this problem ? When u first got ur car or after you change coil ?

BestManWins;944944 said:
I have this issue too. The smell is exceptionally obvious in the morning. Similarly spoke to few workshop and all said its normal for conti cars.. Huh?!?!
I'll try the highway method next time as suggested by Bro Qianle.

The thing is how can it be Normal when some of the cars here don't have this issue ???
And for my case, before changing the coil I have no issue at all even when I dont off my air-con for over night parking.
Temp was set 23-24 without and problem, now WS advised 16-21 and still doesn't solve it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back