So what petrol will you put in your E92/93?

Suipalucsea

The usual story in this morning's ST about how 98 petrol is a waste of money except for supercars. But I believe that the 335 [at least] is *designed* with 98 petrol in mind, though you can probably go down to 95 with a noticeable loss of power. Can't remember where I read this.
I conclude that either the 335 is a supercar, or the ST is full of it --- impossible, surely? :)

Re: So what petrol will you put in your E92/93?

I started off using 98 for my beemers.... never tried 95.

Not sure if 98 is a waste of money but I do agree there is a difference esp for shell 95, 98, & V power.

I started with 98 for my maser as I as always on 98 with my previous cars. then I was told even 95 is good enuf so i switched but i felt the revs werent that smooth and seemed a little sluggish. so I went back to 98.

Lately with the Ferrari cards collection promotion, I tried Vpower...

Wow.. there is definitely a difference.. especially after DMS tuning was done, Vpower brought a much better drive.

I used nothing but 98 and above. cars can run with 95 but with timing retarded and power reigned in... wats the point?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone work out the difference in total payment on a full tank of gasoline on a 335 between 98-octane petrol and 95-octane petrol?

How much in dollar savings per fuel tank can that be?

kenntona;195579 said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone work out the difference in total payment on a full tank of gasoline on a 335 between 98-octane petrol and 95-octane petrol?

$20 to $30 per month:screwedu:

Between RON95 and 98, very insignificant. There is a slightly higher price differential bet RON98 and V Power. Just use whatever makes your car happy. I tried SPC 98 on my 1.8T before and it sucks, won't touch it again!

kenntona;195579 said:

kenntona;195579 said:

at current prices and based on per 63ltr tank top-up, diff is $4.16...:uhhh:

I'm on Caltex Platinum the entire time I had the 335i. May try Gold sometime in the future but not now, when the car's fairly new. :)

my mum used 98 since the very first day she got her 230JM.

she did try 95 for abt 3-4weeks.

savings too minimal and apparently, there was a difference with 95.

any difference between Caltex Gold and Caltex Platinum? both 98 octane

Platinum is 100 octane.. Gold is 98...

Advise for TCed cars is to use the 100 stuff at min cos the hotter ambient temps will increase the chances of pre-ignition cos the the intercooler will not be as efficient to cool the intake charge...

Cheers

yendor;195908 said:

Advise for TCed cars is to use the 100 stuff at min cos the hotter ambient temps will increase the chances of pre-ignition cos the the intercooler will not be as efficient to cool the intake charge...

Cheers

Rod, really har? Better to use 100 stuff? haiz... damn ex loh :(

I found where I read about petrol for the 335 ---- in the brochure! As I said, it recommends 98RON for the 335, and says that you can go down as far as 95 with a loss of power. So it seems that 100RON isn't really necessary.
Anyone have an owner's manual handy? What does it say?

huh?Singapore has 100 octane? Where, where where? Thats Avgas man, must have.

i'm no engineer but here are my thoughts on the article:

i can't recall the specifics but from vague recollection, the article wasn't clear in some of their references to octane ratings, especially with respect to manufacturer specs and octane levels available in other countries.

are they all research octane numbers (RON) or US-octane ratings? if a manufacturer specifies US-octane 95, then the equivalent fuel in singapore is actually RON98 so some of the owners may not be wrong. RON95 is closer to US-octane 91.

also, i feel that the value of higher octane petrol wasn't sufficiently demonstrated by their tests. under heat soaked conditions, cars may retard ignition timing due to the detection of pinging by knock sensors; higher octane petrol, being more knock resistant, should confer a higher threshold before ignition timing is retarded. ie better consistency in power/torque figures over many dyno runs (as opposed to a single run)

yendor;195908 said:

Cheers

i checked the caltex website.it says platinum is 98 octane.and since caltex and spc share the same refinery,wont their quality be the same.i see a lot of complains on spc petrol.quite a number of years back caltex marketed a 100 octane petrol and was advertised in tv as a space shuttle blasting off to space.wonder why they stopped.

Hi Mr Beng, there was a long thread on this over in the Lounge recently, perhaps you can dig that up. Anyway, I have been using spc 98 in my ancient BMW for a long time, no noticeable effect on performance. But then the performance was never that great even when I used caltex.....I doubt that there is any difference re performance but some believe that the special additives in the other brands are good for your engine. Not sure whether to believe it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sodo6789skin
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back