Some home owners sell their flats without agents

ac323

Staff member
One in 10 conducted resale transactions of Housing and Development Board (HDB) flats the do-it-yourself (DIY) way last year.

The HDB provides a DIY checklist to help shorten the process.

This is one area the National Development Ministry is looking into, following public feedback on ways to meet diverse demands and raise the standard and professionalism of the real estate industry.

National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said he does not think it is appropriate to prohibit agents from handling HDB resale transactions.

Neither is it necessary to mandate that all resale HDB transactions be made via agents.

He stressed that the HDB does not mandate owners to go through an agent to close a deal.

Should owners decide to engage a salesperson to help them, the amount of commission can be determined between the owner and the salesperson.

However, Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) does encourage the use of the Estate Agency Agreement form to put on record the amount of commission agreed by both parties from the start to avoid future disputes.

Where there is a dispute arising from the Estate Agency Agreement, parties can make use of the dispute resolution schemes of the CEA.

Mr Khaw said some people have suggested shortening the time frame for dispute resolution.

He said CEA will look into this.

Mr Khaw shared his thoughts on the issue, along with what he thinks of the feedback and suggestions from the public, in his blog on Monday.

He pointed out that there are differing views and diverse demands.

He said some wanted to prohibit real estate agents from handling HDB resale transactions while others demanded a stop to DIY resale transactions.

Some called for greater protection of consumers from estate agents while others appealed for protection of estate agents from consumers who do not discharge their commitments.

Mr Khaw said there were many common calls, such as improving the mechanism to resolve dispute and Continuing Professional Development courses, raising the minimum education qualification of salespersons, as well as enhancing public education for consumers.

He said his bias will be towards the consumers, but pledged to do so in a fair manner.

Meanwhile, CEA will introduce more courses for its 30,000 registered salespersons to meet their diverse learning needs and the dynamic nature of the market.

Mr Khaw said at one-year-old, the Council is still growing in capability and capacity.

He said there is more work ahead, and if done well, CEA can make a positive difference.

"We are united on one common aim, and that is to continue to raise the professionalism of the industry. That will be win-win all round," he said.

Re: Some home owners sell their flats without agents

How to buy/ sell without agent? No licence to transact wo.....

I bought my resale flat from the owner and did all the docs without agent cos the owner knows how to go about the paperwork

Jason8822;751308 said:
I bought my resale flat from the owner and did all the docs without agent cos the owner knows how to go about the paperwork

that's good...........i supposed so long the paper work is done properly one don't have to go thru another party unless you are too busy and no time to advertise, etc etc......

cheers

if you are a buyer of private property...i think its still better to go thru an agent as you do not need to pay the agent comms.....take it as a "Free Service"

toiletsiao;751332 said:
if you are a buyer of private property...i think its still better to go thru an agent as you do not need to pay the agent comms.....take it as a "Free Service"

+1
cos hub act as the middleman/legal consultant in the transfer which private property dun have
so MUST get agent/lawyer to represent

But without the middle man, can ask for more discount from seller. So still got pros and cons

Well considering the cost savings you can get from DIY, i feel its worth the trouble spending some time reading up HDB website and fill up the forms ourselves.
Detailed instructions are posted on HDB website on how to go about doing it, dont let those agents scare you into engaging an agent.

Done my 1st HDB(resale) purchase myself and no complications thus far

toiletsiao;751332 said:

from my experience, sometimes its better to go direct as alot of times agents r the ones playing w the price & telling BS stories to get higher price so that they get higher comms. Many times Ive agents telling me to pay them more comms or else they wont help. Its in this situation i rather go direct to buyer to avoid time wasting.

Agents help bring more buyers'/sellers, but not always act in the best interest of buyer/seller.

golfgti;758663 said:
from my experience, sometimes its better to go direct as alot of times agents r the ones playing w the price & telling BS stories to get higher price so that they get higher comms. Many times Ive agents telling me to pay them more comms or else they wont help. Its in this situation i rather go direct to buyer to avoid time wasting.

Agents help bring more buyers'/sellers, but not always act in the best interest of buyer/seller.

yes theres always pros and cons lah..but look at the market....direct buyer listings are few and far between...there is a very high chance >90% a unit is marketed by an agent. It is easy to say to go direct buyer...but how many such cases are there..u take classfieds property listings and call the numbers...i think most likely u get an agent answering..

different strokes for different ppl...

toiletsiao;758684 said:
yes theres always pros and cons lah..but look at the market....direct buyer listings are few and far between...there is a very high chance >90% a unit is marketed by an agent. It is easy to say to go direct buyer...but how many such cases are there..u take classfieds property listings and call the numbers...i think most likely u get an agent answering..

different strokes for different ppl...

ive advertized myself directly before by simply hanging a sign outside the property & get direct buyers enquiring. Or u can put the advert saying no agents please. There r alot of direct buyers who look at the classified ads. Im one of them who do haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back