Staggered tyres or no?

Alanz

I believe many have the tyres profiles staggered with a broader rear.
Does this reduce oversteer? What are the disadvantages besides tyre rotation?

Any recommended size for 18" for a e82 120i coupe?

Disadvantage on tyre rotation -> meaning cannot rotate tyres? back left change to back right, etc.?

Wider rears will give you better grip at the back thus generally reduces oversteer. Size of tyres typically is a function of width of rims, assuming you adhere to offset of your car. Obviously whether you lower your car also play a part as might scrap. Most people like wide stands so opt for staggered setup to minimize (relatively speaking) steering of the fronts. Having wider tyres will add unsprung weight and might inpact accuracy of speedometer. BTW, screw rotation of tyres. Can't be cheap and still want the benefits :oops:. Looks versus function :)

The wider tire debate has been going on for years. General thoughts are that a larger contact patch would give a better grip.

Wider tires may not have a larger contact patch than a narrower tire depending on the compound and side wall rigidity.

but a wider tire is better than a narrower one in absorbing road imperfections and at the same time more sensitive to bump steer......

I personally prefer a square (non-staggered) setup. The car feels more balanced, the rear wheels are slightly lighter and thus it feels lighter on the accelerator, I can rotate tyres all 4 corners and finally it's also easier on my pocket during a tyre change.

Problem is... it's hard to find used square setup for sale. Most people have staggered and to make it worse have ridiculous rear tyre widths for some reason. For example, F10s that gone to 20" aftermarket rims often have 285 or 295 rears... which I think is an overkill especially for small engines like 520i. Stock 18"/19" 245 at the rears are good enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubet77fashion
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back