starting problem

Re: starting problem

Hi, Ghostrider
I changed the fuel pressure regulator and problem solved.
Try doing this option ist as it is cheaper than changing the idle control valve which is much more expensive option.

Hope u will resolve your problem soon.

Mine was caused by a faulty breather valve and hose .. The hose was in such a bad condition that it disintergrated whenI picked it up...

well i guess its rubber and after 3 plus years of heat - what do I expect?

plugged in diagnos.. crankshaft sensor problem.. 250 poorer.. ;P

Kenzo said:
plugged in diagnos.. crankshaft sensor problem.. 250 poorer.. ;P

Hey...I got that too fault code too...but engine runs ok...maybe I should just leave it alone and be $250 richer ??

hi ghostrider,

a faulty crankshaft sensor will not be able to monitor the turning of ur crankshaft..

gradually, you'll find it harder to start the car, and the car will stop if the sensor gives way altogether..

Has anybody try to pump the highest grade petrol (Caltex or Shell)? This will clean the carbon built up over the period and will help improve the situation. I have similair problem and this is how I am managing it.

Hi all. I've a similar problem with the E34 I'm driving. Thought it was bcos of the age of the car but looks like the newer models have it too. Have already changed air flow sensor, idling valve, serviced throttle body and starter motor in the last 1 year. THe problem goes away after each 'fix', but comes back again over time. Will look into the fuel pressure regulator as advised. Any chance it be the fuel pump?

wkkok said:
Hi all. I've a similar problem with the E34 I'm driving. Thought it was bcos of the age of the car but looks like the newer models have it too. Have already changed air flow sensor, idling valve, serviced throttle body and starter motor in the last 1 year. THe problem goes away after each 'fix', but comes back again over time. Will look into the fuel pressure regulator as advised. Any chance it be the fuel pump?

Seems like something very fundamental have been overlooked....the fuel filter! HAve you changed yours? Something that costs juz over 20 bucks. Not sure if your wkshop is reliable, they should hook up a pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure to ascertain if its a fuel delivery issue rather than trial and error?

Thanks for the suggestion GTV6. Yes the fuel filter was replaced as well and the fuel pressure was checked.

Got the starting problem intermittently also.
Out of curiosity - decided to try one of those Fuel System cleaners (STP) avail at Petrol Kiosks - not sure if it worked but problem seems to have gone away for the moment. II used the Penzoil cleaner berfore - it seemed to work better and is cheaper but dunno where to buy...

Caveat : Some people have said that these things are quite useless ... and waste of money

My problem (only occurs when starting cold) seem solved after replacing the engine temperature sensor. Ok for more than 2 weeks. Am still monitoring.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but have been experiencing some difficulties in starting the car....

I noticed that the battery and engine oil level/pressure tell-tale indicator lights come on when i first start the car but the engine refuses to budge. It comes alive only after I turn off the engine and start again, but this time stepping hard on the accelerator a couple of times.

From what i gather, this is a common problem for pre FL E46 318i and the usual causes are a faulty fuel pressure regulator or idle valve. How urgently should I get it replaced and will the problem still persist thereafter? What else could possibly cause my engine starting prob??

Re: Starting Problem

88three said:
Hi CompleteVMS, I'm also driving a pre-FL E46 & had exprienced
the same starting problem before.I replaced the Idle Valve
Control & it solved the problem.Maybe u can get yours check too.

Hi All

I am experiencing that too... can you guys advice what was replaced finally and how much does it cost .

lastely, please advice which would be a good mechanic to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

Cheers
Adrian
==========

Intake Temperature Sensor. Cost? approx 15 USD. Time? approx 5mins Tools? Kitchen tools.

hullo Bros

my issue is starting in the morning .... the engine doesn't come to live. Need to pump the accelarator once or twice and it will come to life then all is well.

but then after stopping the car 2~3 hrs later... the problems come back again. the frequency has been more recently so i am left with no choice but to send the car to teh mechnic .

I have just change the fuel pressure regulator but the problem still persist......

any bros out there can help to comment on what needs to be done next will be very much appreciate ....

Cheers
Adrian

Hi All,
I had this problem some time back with my VW Passat. Changed fuel filter, spark plugs and the problem still persists. Quite frustrating but the workshop was good and very professional in trying to narrow the cause. So long story short, the problem was solved when the coil packs and HT cables were replaced. Current E46 do not have t his problem.
Cheers!

spark plugs..? just a blind guess...i know toyotas from 10+ years ago had this problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
for88red
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back