steering wheel "shivers" when braking from high speed

st3166

Hi,

I need some help here. When I slow down from speeds above 100 kmh the steering wheel will "shiver" as if it is a little unstable. Also, the front wheel does not feel very "firm" over humps and uneven surfaces. Any idea what is the cause of this?

Ask your mech to skim the disc...it helps.

If not, you are most likely to replace the disc itself.

Get it fixed ASAP. Dun fool around with brakes.

* If you brake at high speed and it shivers, its the brake disc warped. needs skimming or replaced.*

If you did not brake and it shivers, its front tires that needs to be balanced.

As for the slow speed over hump, uneven surfaces, the lower arm ball joint might be worned off, needs replacement.
Cheers..

st3166 said:
Hi,

I need some help here. When I slow down from speeds above 100 kmh the steering wheel will "shiver" as if it is a little unstable. Also, the front wheel does not feel very "firm" over humps and uneven surfaces. Any idea what is the cause of this?

Re: steering wheel "shivers" when braking from high speed

yep, brake discs need skimming. If you skim the discs for uneven wear, chances are your pads are not suitable for your discs usch as high temp pads and performance stuff.

skimming will only get you so far and is a temp solution. Once the discs are warped, the skimming will altey the weight of the discs and therafter high speed balancing may be required. Long term solution is still to change discs and pads. To make the new set last longer, try altering your driving habits and do not step on the brakes while stationary after very hard braking.

good luck

However if your discs are too thin they cannot be skimmed. Simply replacing it will do.

hey bro go and try one cheap cheap remedy first.

sometimes the mechanic that moutned your rims didnt sit the rim nicely on your wheel hub. so jsut try this, go and remove your rim and then put it back in. your problems may just go away.

i speak from experience, more than once happened to me already.

Racebred said:
hey bro go and try one cheap cheap remedy first.

sometimes the mechanic that moutned your rims didnt sit the rim nicely on your wheel hub. so jsut try this, go and remove your rim and then put it back in. your problems may just go away.

i speak from experience, more than once happened to me already.
hmmm... never knew that this could actually happen...

Thanks everyone for your valuable advice. I went to check the brake discs and indeed they were warped. Mech told me that this happens because some people tend to wash their cars immediately after driving. That causes the disc to warp as different metal components contract at different speeds. Advice is to clean your rims only when the car brakes have cooled down.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back