Suspensions - do you lower your ride after switching to 19"/20"?

freshie

It's me again, the newbie, who's convinced to get the 19" BBS CH-R rims.

Couple of questions that I have now relating to the changing of the suspension/lowering of my ride

1. Do you guys lower your ride when you're on 19"/20"? If so, what suspensions do you go for?
2. What are the pro/cons of lowering your ride (yes, I'm such a novice, right? I know the physics of it, but still, just wanna know your real life experience and the vanity part of things).
3. What suspensions do you go for? Any experience with KW or Bilstein?
4. Are the E92 coupe stock suspensions any good? Pro/cons of just sticking to them if I switch to the BBS CHR 19"? I'm told I may not like the 'gap' but what the heck is that??

You don't have to answer all of the above, just any of your thoughts will be most appreciated! Thanks much!!

p/s: If anyone of you is interested in taking over my stock rims/run flats, please ping me, happy to discuss and let go at a reasonable price (I've posted on the classified section too).

Re: Suspensions - do you lower your ride after switching to 19"/20"?

lowering for looks only. big wheels +lower suspension = less comfort. more looks./

totoseow;622715 said:
lowering for looks only. big wheels +lower suspension = less comfort. more looks./
Has any1 lower suspension but stay on stock wheels? I thought it is quite rare.

davidtch;622719 said:

I'm guilty as charged! You know what. My current ride (the one I'm getting rid of?) was on ACS sus (go figure!) lowered 15mm and I was on stock 16"!! It was UGLY!! Yeah, after 4 years of driving and constantly dragging my feet on changing the rims, I still never quite got down to it, and finally said, 'nuff is 'nuff, and instead of changing the rims, I changed my ride. This time round, I'm gonna do it quite differently ;-)

Yeah, have a good laugh about it :p Told ya I was a novice!

P/s: I even had ACS wing mirrors and spoilers to boot! hahaha... yes, yes, laugh...

davidtch said:
E92 and E93 lots of lowered cars on stock 18" wheels.

freshie;622722 said:
I'm guilty as charged! You know what. My current ride (the one I'm getting rid of?) was on ACS sus (go figure!) lowered 15mm and I was on stock 16"!! It was UGLY!! Yeah, after 4 years of driving and constantly dragging my feet on changing the rims, I still never quite got down to it, and finally said, 'nuff is 'nuff, and instead of changing the rims, I changed my ride. This time round, I'm gonna do it quite differently ;-)

Yeah, have a good laugh about it :p Told ya I was a novice!

P/s: I even had ACS wing mirrors and spoilers to boot! hahaha... yes, yes, laugh...
I am not sure why you think lowered suspension on Stock 16" is ugly. Mayb cannot pic it.

kenntona;622726 said:
E92 and E93 lots of lowered cars on stock 18" wheels.
O I C.

davidtch;622729 said:
I am not sure why you think lowered suspension on Stock 16" is ugly. Mayb cannot pic it.

It's ugly bro... trust me. Those skinny wheels and lowered stance.... yucks!

Bigger rim without lowering is like a suv or boat.

hitmee;622751 said:
Bigger rim without lowering is like a suv or boat.

Jeep as well.................

cheers

ac323;622757 said:
Jeep as well.................

cheers

Sounds like more damages to this bank a/c :(((( very slippery slope here!!!

freshie;622776 said:
Sounds like more damages to this bank a/c :(((( very slippery slope here!!!

Hi freshie,

honestly speaking it all depends on what you are looking at........

big rims without lowering, the ride sure looks ugly.....................

if just with lowering spring combi with normal suspension, i'm afraid the ride might be bumpy (rock the boat, like bus).

coilover is better: not only it improve the look, it improve your handling too (power is nothing without handling)

as for rims size and what rims ( is very personal as different people will like different rims )

some say with bigger rims it slow the car down....etc etc.......then say small rims not nice???...........

so it all depends on what you looking at.......cant have best of both yet i guess..

happy shopping
cheers

ac323;622779 said:
Hi freshie,

honestly speaking it all depends on what you are looking at........

big rims without lowering, the ride sure looks ugly.....................

if just with lowering spring combi with normal suspension, i'm afraid the ride might be bumpy (rock the boat, like bus).

coilover is better: not only it improve the look, it improve your handling too (power is nothing without handling)

as for rims size and what rims ( is very personal as different people will like different rims )

some say with bigger rims it slow the car down....etc etc.......then say small rims not nice???...........

so it all depends on what you looking at.......cant have best of both yet i guess..

happy shopping
cheers

Bro, I do not agree on some of your points.
- Lowering springs (Eibach, H&R) on stock shock absorbers are perfectly fine. The only downside is that the shocks wear out earlier. By earlier, it may be 3 yrs vs say, 5 yrs.
- Coilovers are not necessary better. It depends on individual needs. Coilovers allow the user to change a variety of settings; ride comfort and height. For people who care less about adjusting the settings, a straight-forward a sport kit like Bilstein B12 kit is more than enough for a sporty yet lowered ride.

I do agree with you that choice of rim sizes and colors depends individual choice. Personally, I do not like black-colored rims.

i agree with ac323 that stock shock is not designed or cater for aftermarket lowering spring where the car is lowered = increased loading (at least less 1-2 rounds of spring) + higher spring rate

again, it depends on how hard the person drive the car. if you drive gently, the effect is acceptable or perhaps not noticeable. i use eibach + stock shock in my previous jap ride. in less than 3 months, change to bilstein b8. from that experience onwards, i go with coilover because spring+shock cannot get the height that i desire :D

pengful;622892 said:
Bro, I do not agree on some of your points.
- Lowering springs (Eibach, H&R) on stock shock absorbers are perfectly fine. The only downside is that the shocks wear out earlier. By earlier, it may be 3 yrs vs say, 5 yrs.
Length of stock shock are not meant for lowered springs + strut pressure are not designed for harder spring load = premature wear & tear.

Beside bilstein B12, there is also sachs performance kit.

Few yrs ago, i attempted to lower with Sachs Performance kit on 16" wheel (Is 225 skinny?). But have to order & wait. In the end, nothing was done except change the leaky shocks to Bilstein B8.

Hi freshie, I was on 19" and stock suspension previously. Looks fine to me. But everytime go meetup sure got people ask me where is my SUV, knn!

If u are unsure, u can always change ur rims first, then see if u can tahan the looks. If buay tahan, then it's not too late to change ur suspension subsequently.
As for what kind of suspension, that's a whole new topic altogether so take ur time to do research. No need to rush ya. My 2cents.....

What about 18"? If I'm on 18", then is the lowering of the ride still as big a concern or less so? Sorry, I'm so fickle!

Let us know whether the handling is affected/compromised after you lower. I suspect it will

The ride will look nicer with lowered suspension but ride quality is compromised too...It costs approx SGD2k for lowered suspension....i decided against it coz my friends say its a problem going over speed bumps and also getting in and outta car parks. Especially if the ramps are on a steep incline.

Also the likelihood of kerb rash is also increased on the front and side skirts....

TS,

Mine is lowered with 19" and Coilovers.

PS : With the prices of tyres going up faster than a rocket, I'll suggest you stay put with your 18s ...

19" tyres are madness !! I was quoted $738 for a piece of 265/35 19 ....:biggun:

UniQ

pengful;622892 said:
Personally, I do not like black-colored rims.

One man's meat is another man's poison!:D

Back to Freshie, I have an E60 on 19", kw street comfort coil overs. The ride is definitely bumpier than stock, and you can feel more humps or potholes on the road than your stock suspension. But the ride is also stiffer, which means less roll and bounce. Also, when you go over humps or make u turns fast, you won't run the risk of the big wheels rubbing against your fenders.

In the looks department, see my signature below. I personally prefer it to stock!

The reason for my change? Looks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy8584

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back