Suspensions - do you lower your ride after switching to 19"/20"?

Re: Suspensions - do you lower your ride after switching to 19"/20"?

wt_know;626344 said:
wait ... it's a e92 coupe ....
i thought it was a new SUV ... :D

Even better :) Four-wheel drive :)

freshie;626331 said:
So, here's the moment of reckoning. Let me know... to lower or not to lower :(

Front
Wheel: 19 x 8.5
Offset: 32mm
Tire: 235/35-19

Rear
Wheel: 19 x 9.5
Offset: 35mm
Tire: 265/30-19

Is it me or the rear doesn't look flush? Offset not enough?

gr8golf88;626347 said:
Is it me or the rear doesn't look flush? Offset not enough?

I thought so too... but how about this angle?

freshie;626331 said:
So, here's the moment of reckoning. Let me know... to lower or not to lower :(

Front
Wheel: 19 x 8.5
Offset: 32mm
Tire: 235/35-19

Rear
Wheel: 19 x 9.5
Offset: 35mm
Tire: 265/30-19

Should lower.

But front and rear offset not enough because when you lower the camber would be affected as well.

i think once it's lowered, it should look alright

Last edited by a moderator:

Just my opinions....

Firstly, congrats on that nice black steed and new shoes!!

But confirmed rear wheel not flushed. Once lowered, visually the not flushed look will be more obvious.
Can only be cured w spacers.
Which may lead to rubbing, then need to roll fender.

If its confusing, buy golf88 nasi padang and teh tarik, and hear his stories/ see his car for more info.

Let me know too, cos I kaypoh. I know a offset problem when I see one. Cigarette lighter pod issue I also quite knowledgable. :)

:angry:
dash;626358 said:
Just my opinions....

Firstly, congrats on that nice black steed and new shoes!!

But confirmed rear wheel not flushed. Once lowered, visually the not flushed look will be more obvious.
Can only be cured w spacers.
Which may lead to rubbing, then need to roll fender.

If its confusing, buy golf88 nasi padang and teh tarik, and hear his stories/ see his car for more info.

Let me know too, cos I kaypoh. I know a offset problem when I see one. Cigarette lighter pod issue I also quite knowledgable. :)

:angry::furious::whythis:

freshie;626359 said:

The offset for E90 LCI and E92 LCI is different. The rims you are on will look more flush on an E90 LCI. Try to talk to the shop and see what they can do.

gr8golf88;626366 said:
The offset for E90 LCI and E92 LCI is different. The rims you are on will look more flush on an E90 LCI. Try to talk to the shop and see what they can do.

Ok, I'm driving my boat to minimize heartache for the moment...

freshie;626359 said:

the offset of the rims, its not sitting too flushed with the rear wheel arch.
in order to have a flushed look (muscular), u need to add spacers.

Adding spacers, you will achieve the flushed look, cos it pushes out the rims slightly.
although some spacers are just 5mm, 10mm etc, the little difference makes the car look differently.

There will be some who will never touch spacers...and they have their reasons for it.
and then again, professional race drivers still use it.

I'm sorry, but to be frank, in order to go around this problem, is to find the rims w the correct offset u like before installing. :naughty:
Hence the premium people pay to get customised rims like DPE to achieve the looks and offset they desire.

But if u push the rims too out, you run the risk of the tyres rubbing your fenders while going thru humps or carrying load. so you need expert opinion of the tyre shop to advise u here. ;)

You did not make any mistake, mind you...so dun need to feel bad. Those are legendary rims u are running on.
we all learn along the way. :p
PM golf88. He is da man in rims changing. He changes rims like we change underwear. :silenced:
dun believe look at his mod threads for both his 320 and 325 coupe. :whatthe:

dash;626380 said:
the offset of the rims, its not sitting too flushed with the rear wheel arch.
in order to have a flushed look (muscular), u need to add spacers.

Adding spacers, you will achieve the flushed look, cos it pushes out the rims slightly.
although some spacers are just 5mm, 10mm etc, the little difference makes the car look differently.

There will be some who will never touch spacers...and they have their reasons for it.
and then again, professional race drivers still use it.

I'm sorry, but to be frank, in order to go around this problem, is to find the rims w the correct offset u like before installing. :naughty:
Hence the premium people pay to get customised rims like DPE to achieve the looks and offset they desire.

But if u push the rims too out, you run the risk of the tyres rubbing your fenders while going thru humps or carrying load. so you need expert opinion of the tyre shop to advise u here. ;)

You did not make any mistake, mind you...so dun need to feel bad. Those are legendary rims u are running on.
we all learn along the way. :p
PM golf88. He is da man in rims changing. He changes rims like we change underwear. :silenced:

+1. Optimally the right offset would be the way to go. Spacers increase unsprung weight and maybe vibrations.

Would a camber kit help by negating the negative camber effect on lowered rides ? Maybe that way he could stay with these rims and have it look more flushed ......................

Bro freshie,

I am just like you cos I have owned from sedan to MPV to SUV. I have lifted rides with gigantic offroad and steel rims with big fat OWL tires on my previous SUV but just never experience lowering and any rims bigger than 18" So I conducted my research and now waiting for my 19" rims to arrive. Meanwhile, I am on 18" and my rear wheel specs is similar to your E92 BBS. I still don't find it aggressive enough on my E90 LCI so it definitely will not flush on your E92. However I would think it should still be ok if you lower your ride in terms of looks.

I am also on coilover now after much thoughts. Ride is firmer and slightly harsher but you can 'feel' the road better. Handling is also improved and car less floaty and more stable due to the lower centre of gravity. However I am using ST coils so the ride comfort is not very much compromised. Another advantages of coils are the flexibility in ride height and damping rates. I am going to readjust it when my rims arrive. Yes with no addition cost to adjust it as first adjustment is free.
That's the advantage of coil. I have not used springs but was explained to me by some experts that springs will shorten your shocks lifespan as they are not designed for them unlike the coilovers. You are also unable to change height too. My friend used to install springs on his Toyota and in the end he took it out in less than 2 weeks cos of rubbing and he couldn't adjust the height.

As for rims I agree is an acquired taste. If you lower your ride, I would think even 16" will still be fine. It's a matter of the specs of your rims. Many people are confused and indecisive when changing rims cos sometimes they find that even a 17" looks very good on some cars while some 19" looks normal on some car. The main reason is the rims specs and 'gap'. Lowering definitely makes your car looks damn good but comes with a price definitely. The offset and thickness of your rims are crucial to the looks of it. Rims will look good if it flushes so after much frustration I go for customised rims.

For me, all mods come with a reason and has got both it's advantages and disadvantages. for instance lowering and bigger rims also offer you better handling and stability other than just looks. Other mods such as HID lights supposed to project brighter and focused beams hence better vision, bodykits and spoilers will offer you lower CG and also supposed to 'break the wind' hence giving you better stability and car will go faster, tinted windows filter off UV and heat hence safer to your health, exhaust gives better power other than just sound, BBK offers better braking etc... The list goes on and on.

So at the end of the day, it depends on your objectives, priority and most importantly budget. I feel that another important factor is you should enjoy and feel good about your ride to make your money well spent. No need to be bothered by what others say cos you can never achieve the best of both and different people got different taste and opinions.

Happy shopping and good luck!! My next mod might be Eisenmann followed by BBK. I am seriously poisoned and don't seem to be able to save more money in my bank always.....

snowy,

sibei good analysis ... :thumbsup:
you kena poisoned by the E90/92 MTL mod list :D
i have 25+ items in my list and completed 15 + 1 (performance diffuser on the way ......)

Hi Dash, I cannot agree to your below statement. Lets recap on his E90, from stock to monobloc within 3 hours after collection of car, change within 3 months to style 313, after 3 weeks, change to DPE.
3 days later, he decided to change car. Rush to PML within 30 min to place booking for E92.
collect car 3 monthly later, immediate put on his DPE and throw away his stock, after 3 solid minutes looking at his DPE on E92, decided to change to HRE. Ordered his HRE and arrived in town 3 months later, which is currently on his ride for about 2 months plus liao. ALL E9X and those interested in his HRE, watch out for his thread in the classified section... Coming soon, he can't cross the "3" mark.
From his E90 till todate, i have not change to a brand new underwear....
This guy is my idol.... I have been loitering around Arab street but to no avail.

dash;626380 said:

SC332;626452 said:
ALL E9X and those interested in his HRE, watch out for his thread in the classified section... Coming soon, he can't cross the "3" mark.
This guy is my idol.... I have been loitering around Arab street but to no avail.

Big hint. He has made it past 3 hrs, and 3 days.
So left only 3 months. I think by then he will surely come across another rim he likes.
Heck, he might be surfing the web for another set as we type.
Or already ordered and shipment on the way.
He got fetish for rims. :lol:

dash;626463 said:
So left only 3 months. I think by then he will surely come across another rim he likes.

Try this... think this chap has a good offer:

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bazaar...ch-r-19-bs-potenza-s001-tires-good-price.html

SC332;626452 said:
Hi Dash, I cannot agree to your below statement. Lets recap on his E90, from stock to monobloc within 3 hours after collection of car, change within 3 months to style 313, after 3 weeks, change to DPE.
3 days later, he decided to change car. Rush to PML within 30 min to place booking for E92.
collect car 3 monthly later, immediate put on his DPE and throw away his stock, after 3 solid minutes looking at his DPE on E92, decided to change to HRE. Ordered his HRE and arrived in town 3 months later, which is currently on his ride for about 2 months plus liao. ALL E9X and those interested in his HRE, watch out for his thread in the classified section... Coming soon, he can't cross the "3" mark.

dash;626463 said:

I have gone through 10 sets of rims including the stock ones. It gave me a pure orgasm every time a new set of rims being installed. Rims fetish? No. Stupid? Yes. Happy? Fark yeah. :dance:

gr8golf88;626556 said:
I have gone through 10 sets of rims including the stock ones. It gave me a pure orgasm every time a new set of rims being installed. Rims fetish? No. Stupid? Yes. Happy? Fark yeah. :dance:

I have to buy you coffee to take a closer look at this set, man. Serious help needed here.:helpp!:

freshie;626566 said:
I have to buy you coffee to take a closer look at this set, man. Serious help needed here.:helpp!:

Tues, 5 Apr. If you are free, join us for lunch. We are hoping that C3PO is buying. :goodup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiss918art

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back