Taking care of your Bmw transmission

clemgoh

have found this amazing article about the transmission in BMW E90’s so I’m re-posting it here in my blog with updated pictures and part numbers to match ZF 6HP21.

Perhaps best to change atf every 30,000km and change seals at 60,000km.

The same requirement applies also to all BMW gearboxes as far as I am concern including my GM gearbox.

I ageee with these
See links a great article for us all to take note. And I had changed the gearbox seals at 60,000km and the shift quality improved.

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/say...ut-your-zf-automatic-transmission-issues/amp/

Ordered these for my GM box.
Coming 19 Feb 18.
Zf has their own type but similar in concept of seals do replace.

Attachments

• 0EEAD613-5CC5-462B-8BBD-C968FA7E427D.png
    0EEAD613-5CC5-462B-8BBD-C968FA7E427D.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 315
Ordered these for my GM box.
Coming 19 Feb 18.
Zf has their own type but similar in concept of seals do replace.

Hi bro,
my mileage reaching 120k, and i plan to do a ATF oil and filter change.

from your post, do you mean that it might be necessary to replace all the others, etc O-rings, Seal Set, valve, speed sensor?

thanks

At this mileage and if you want to keep the car longer and not have to face a jerky situation. Why not do this since yOu won’t flush again until the next 40,000km.
I would for sure at this high mileage.

At this mileage and if you want to keep the car longer and not have to face a jerky situation. Why not do this since yOu won’t flush again until the next 40,000km.
I would for sure at this high mileage.

thanks. Will do that and most likely get those parts from ES.

is 120k consider high mileage? "surprise"
cause i recall my previous cars are all more than 250k when it get push to scrap yard. :D

Actually no but in our stop and go traffic the transmission should have an atf change around 40,000 to 50000km each time.
At your 120k this means it should have a 2nd atf change by now. Damage or repair will be very costly.

Actually no but in our stop and go traffic the transmission should have an atf change around 40,000 to 50000km each time.
At your 120k this means it should have a 2nd atf change by now. Damage or repair will be very costly.

Yes. I did my atf oil change at 80k but without all those valves and o ring

Assume 325???
Well not sure if yours is gm or zf gearbox but do plan on replacing those rubber sealing sleeve and rubber seal adapter inside the gearbox when you change atf and need to replace the atf filter anyway. You should maybe aim for this at 150k km i supppsed next. Or when you feel the shift is not smooth anymore.

When you replace the atf it is rather expensive. The cost of the atf oil and labour. Might as well take this chance also to replace these seals for peace of mind as these will slowly fail to hold the hydraulic pressure. And the transmission shifts become smoother and firmer after this.

Change the atf every 40000km and transmission sealing sleeve every 80000km.

So to be clear (I see alot of post not sharing clearly their model and age and engine type and mileage)
for my 325 n52 2011 model Lci e90 gm
Gm6L45r gearbox now at 85000km only today

I feel that for every 2nd atf change or 80,000km, I would replace these seals. From my experience. After 80000km the seals replacement makes a whole lot of difference in the driving shift feel.

By the way. Have you ever replace your differential fluid? The rear axle differential? You should also together w the gearbox

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back