• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Technical Advise - E36

Re: Technical Advise - E36

just a question.... is port and polish equivalent to stroking up an engine? or is port and polishing usually done when stroking up an engine?

It is not equivalent to stroking up an engine. Stroking is best described as a process or modification to make your piston travel a longer distance within the cylinder, hence your engine capacity increases. It usually involves changing the crank shaft, con-rods and often piston as well. Most of the time it also involves matching fuel injection to the increased capacity and likely a re-map of your ECU.

Port & Polish (PP) is meant to smoothen the intake/outlet valves assembly including altering the approach angle of the port to allow better air-flow in and out of your combustion chamber. The aim is to improve the volumetric efficiency (VE) of your combustion to increase power and acceleration. It is more beneficial to older designed engine e.g. 2 valves type. You can further capitalized on your PP by improving your intake and exhaust tracks. Given a constant in all other factors (air temp/density, fuel, ARF, Brake specified F/C etc), the % increase in your VE is often proportionate to the % increase in bhp.

phil;298222 said:
JAckie, i have a die grinder, lets play with your engine
bro phil , think hitmee will like ur die ginder more ! try him

seriously i not a technical person but think chairman explained very clearly.
2.1 Stroke up kit available, think can check with bimshop keke..

yes stroker is good, as long as it is installed by a good engine guy, again, there is often die grinding to be done on the lower cylinder walls to allow rod clearance.

BTW, our e36 service indicator light is dependant on the condition of the engine oil or every bar represent 3000km travelled?

i think it's the km travelled lahh. because you also saw my engine oil like shit like that. hahaha when i still have 2 bars left.

jeromez;298511 said:
just a question.... is port and polish equivalent to stroking up an engine? or is port and polishing usually done when stroking up an engine?

It's not equivalent to stroking an engine, but since stroking is the easiest ways to increase demand on the head, doing it after a stroker conversion would yield the biggest gains. This is provided the orignal min. cross section was already sized perfect for the stock engine, or that the stock port trajectory and finish were poor...which is not often the case as mentioned earlier.

Even if the stock port had perfect cross section and trajectory, stroking alone would still net you power gain because equal flow is occuring now at a lower engine speed, and engine speed is the largest determinant of friction in an engine (square relation). So lower engine speed, dramaticaly lower friction.

==

The first stroker limit you run up on varies from engine to engine. Anything from interference in crankcase, to interference with cam (OHV), or if not those, then in the end, for all engines, overall cylinder length to where the piston skirt starts to protrude from bottom of cylinder at BDC. It is tolerable to some degree, but once breakover on piston skirt (1 of 2 only real balance points) goes unsupported at BDC, then wear and oil consumption skyrockets, piston loses stability ----> ring seal is compromised, smoking begins.

There is also a theoretical interference limit of little over 0.5 rod length to stroke ratio where piston will contact crank or require cylinders far too long and wide, but this is never reached before any of the above limits. Other limits taken into consideration, you end up at a minimum of 1.3-1.4 range.

Wah !
After hearing all the comments/views, am confused whether to 'Port & Polish' my engine.
Got a lobang in Malaysia to do it. Cost about RM$4,000.

If using additives can improve slightly, I would like to give it a try.
Can anyone advise me the type of additives to use.
Appreciate your reply.
Rgds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s666mecom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back