• BMW 523i

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lexus GS300

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Thanks for the warm welcome, Ryan!

steven318 said:
Hi Seaplane,

I think the brand/status thingy is what other people cast on you. I drove an Audi before and never get as much attention as BMW. If u are running a business, this will be an important point.

Build and finishing wise, Audi win hand-down. But, you can always change the trim of your 523. I quite like the front of GS300 but not its back. Having said that, I think the maintenance cost of GS300 is definitely lower than beemer or audi.

Talking abt unbiased feedback...haha.
Hi Steven,

ATTENTION is what my wife seeks but not me. The reason for getting a good car is for the comfort. I'm sure you wanna feel pampered in a car you paid almost 200 big ones for, right? Thanks for your input on the Audi. For a moment I thought I was the only one who feels that Audi cars are very well-made.

Seaplane..

Go with what you want... tho admittedly, I'm also married and the 'other half' does also 'play a significant part'...

Forget about badge snobberry, cos personally, I couln't care less...

As for 'attention-grabbing', I get a whole lot more 'second-glances' for my Audi TT, then I do for my M3... granted that my TT isn't exactly 'stock'... but it also bcos most (no flames, please)people (non enthusiasts) would look at an M3, and then a 318Ci, and not see any difference... which was one of the 'plus points' when I decided to buy the M3 in the first place...

Also, again at the risk of ten tons worth of flames, on the perspective of day-to-day driving, and especially in the city, and even more so in traffic, I much prefer driving my manual TT, than the SMG M3... which I feel that SMG is just a sad excuse of a gearbos system, especially when compared to VW's GTI's DSG... but that a totally separate topic altogether...

Don't get me wrong... I also love my M3.. but more so for my drives up north... cos amongst other things... anything south of a Porsche GT3, cannot leave me behind... and likewise, anything south of same said car, can't overtake me.. hee... :p

My 'bottomline' to you.. go with what YOU want... cos this is gonna be the 'family' car, that needs to carry not just yourselves... but also frens and family.. and whoever that visiting... and then also promise that you'll 'take care of what she wants', as a 2nd car.. when the time is right...

cheers...

My vote goes to the Lexus GS!! Without a doubt I guess only Lexus can outbid BMW now. And I do agree the GS looks way better. But about exclusivity, maybe not since I see that they are steadily growing in numbers.

Well anyway with both cars, you can't go wrong. Both are remarkable cars (even the 523i) and just go with what you want!

Good luck in your choice!

Hi Seaplane,
I was in the same predicament 2 months ago, however my choice was between the E240 the ES300 and with an afterthought the 523i. None came near the ES300 for standard equipments, however the backseat space and interior decor is compromised. The drive of the GS300 in my opinion is like driving a super efficient computer with no real drive feedback. The E240s interior is well balanced and is luxurious and elegant. However the powerplant is totally disappointing, it feels that you are physically pulling the car with a ton of bricks at the back. The drive of the 523 is ultimate in comparision to the GS300 and E240 in spite if its interior and spartan equipment, indeed I was shocked that for a luxury sedan the 523 does not come with cruise control which is is standard equipment even in much cheaper regional cars. I suspect basic equipment has been compromised to compete in price. I test drove the 3 cars several times with my wife and concluded that in ride quality the523 is supreme. However the GS300's standard equiupment if installed in the 523 as options will cost aprox $20 to $25K more than the listed price. Mulling over this I did my own straw poll over a month with my extensive network of friends and colleagues of their prefered choise everthing else being equal. The vote was 100% for the 5 series even from owners of GS300 for its status and reputation as the ultimate car inspite of the reputed poor after sales service in Singapore. Therefore I am now waiting delivery of my 523i in March/April with factory fitted options amounting to more than $25K.
GS.

kl88 said:
Seaplane..

Go with what you want... tho admittedly, I'm also married and the 'other half' does also 'play a significant part'...

Forget about badge snobberry, cos personally, I couln't care less...

As for 'attention-grabbing', I get a whole lot more 'second-glances' for my Audi TT, then I do for my M3... granted that my TT isn't exactly 'stock'... but it also bcos most (no flames, please)people (non enthusiasts) would look at an M3, and then a 318Ci, and not see any difference... which was one of the 'plus points' when I decided to buy the M3 in the first place...

Also, again at the risk of ten tons worth of flames, on the perspective of day-to-day driving, and especially in the city, and even more so in traffic, I much prefer driving my manual TT, than the SMG M3... which I feel that SMG is just a sad excuse of a gearbos system, especially when compared to VW's GTI's DSG... but that a totally separate topic altogether...

Don't get me wrong... I also love my M3.. but more so for my drives up north... cos amongst other things... anything south of a Porsche GT3, cannot leave me behind... and likewise, anything south of same said car, can't overtake me.. hee... :p

My 'bottomline' to you.. go with what YOU want... cos this is gonna be the 'family' car, that needs to carry not just yourselves... but also frens and family.. and whoever that visiting... and then also promise that you'll 'take care of what she wants', as a 2nd car.. when the time is right...

cheers...
Hi kl88,

Wow... An Audi TT and a M3? What more can a guy ask for man! Lucky and you probably deserve it. How I wish I can afford to have a 2nd car man... Haha :)

ganesan said:
Hi Seaplane,
I was in the same predicament 2 months ago, however my choice was between the E240 the ES300 and with an afterthought the 523i. None came near the ES300 for standard equipments, however the backseat space and interior decor is compromised. The drive of the GS300 in my opinion is like driving a super efficient computer with no real drive feedback. The E240s interior is well balanced and is luxurious and elegant. However the powerplant is totally disappointing, it feels that you are physically pulling the car with a ton of bricks at the back. The drive of the 523 is ultimate in comparision to the GS300 and E240 in spite if its interior and spartan equipment, indeed I was shocked that for a luxury sedan the 523 does not come with cruise control which is is standard equipment even in much cheaper regional cars. I suspect basic equipment has been compromised to compete in price. I test drove the 3 cars several times with my wife and concluded that in ride quality the523 is supreme. However the GS300's standard equiupment if installed in the 523 as options will cost aprox $20 to $25K more than the listed price. Mulling over this I did my own straw poll over a month with my extensive network of friends and colleagues of their prefered choise everthing else being equal. The vote was 100% for the 5 series even from owners of GS300 for its status and reputation as the ultimate car inspite of the reputed poor after sales service in Singapore. Therefore I am now waiting delivery of my 523i in March/April with factory fitted options amounting to more than $25K.
GS.
Hi Ganesan,

Couldn't agree with you more on the cruise control thingy. Seriously, how can a fine car like the 523i not have a cruise control? Isn't it a luxury sedan? Even a Camry/Cefiro has it! OMG... Thanks for your valuable input. I believe most ordinary folks (non-car enthusiast) will always pick BMW. What can I say, the brand's got heritage man.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the 523i over the GS300 antime.
IMHO, the GS300's driving experience feels quite.. "Numb" :(

Glad you chose the 523i! :)

Thanks Seaplane,
Will keep posted when I take delivery. The fact that the 523i was not even in my original consideration till my son"s prodding and a chance test drive when I was in the area and finally chosing it over my present biased preferrence towards the other popular German marq which I currently own does say something about rthe 523i. Bear in mind we are just talking about comfortable family sedans, no comparisons to the numerous performance models and sporty modeis that are available. I also understand if need be the performance of the 523i could be boosted to equal the 525i as both models have the same powerplants.
GS

Seaplane said:
Hi kl88,

Wow... An Audi TT and a M3? What more can a guy ask for man! Lucky and you probably deserve it. How I wish I can afford to have a 2nd car man... Haha :)

Thanks, Seaplane.. Frankly, there have been many many times where I wished I didn't have such a love for cars, and be happy with a Swift (which btw, I'm nuts about :cloud9: )... My bank account would certainly be a lot happier... :screwedu:

Cheers, and good luck...

ganesan said:
Thanks Seaplane,
Will keep posted when I take delivery. The fact that the 523i was not even in my original consideration till my son"s prodding and a chance test drive when I was in the area and finally chosing it over my present biased preferrence towards the other popular German marq which I currently own does say something about rthe 523i. Bear in mind we are just talking about comfortable family sedans, no comparisons to the numerous performance models and sporty modeis that are available. I also understand if need be the performance of the 523i could be boosted to equal the 525i as both models have the same powerplants.
GS
Thanks again for your valuable input, Ganesan!

kl88 said:
Thanks, Seaplane.. Frankly, there have been many many times where I wished I didn't have such a love for cars, and be happy with a Swift (which btw, I'm nuts about :cloud9: )... My bank account would certainly be a lot happier... :screwedu:

Cheers, and good luck...
Hi kl88,

Your bank acc could have been happier, but would you be happier that way? I think money are meant to be spent (to a certain extent. Must have limits lah). If you have that kind of money, why not enjoy it? Otherwise what's the point of working so hard? I don't believe in taking money into the coffin... Life is short! Haha :)

Seaplane said:
Hi kl88,

Your bank acc could have been happier, but would you be happier that way? I think money are meant to be spent (to a certain extent. Must have limits lah). If you have that kind of money, why not enjoy it? Otherwise what's the point of working so hard? I don't believe in taking money into the coffin... Life is short! Haha :)

True, that it can't be (or rather, what's the point) brought with into my coffin... but... must still leave enough to BUY the coffin... else my fat arse will just be chucked into a drain (storm drain)... :yikess:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88slive

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back