The Barclays Premiership / Champions League Thread

hitmee;808534 said:
chris waddle played for wed too.
how many years i watch EPL/BPL?

You guys remember David Hirst? Quite a good striker.

Re: The Barclays Premiership / Champions League Thread

How about Faustino Asprilla?

Wayne Rooney wins vote for greatest Premier League goal | Football | The Guardian

Greatest EPL/BPL goals:

(1) Wayne Rooney vs Man City, 2011, votes 26%

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJNDno0cbU&feature=related]The best goal of Rooney to Manchester City 2011 - HD - 3D - YouTube[/ame]

(2) Dennis Bergkamp vs Newcastle, 2002, votes 19%

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6JrPNZhsMY&feature=fvwrel]Best Goal Ever - YouTube[/ame]

(3) Thierry Henry vs Man Utd, 2000, votes 15%

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAYSm4Ud8o&feature=related]Henry amazing goal vs Man Utd - YouTube[/ame]

OptimusWKY;808573 said:
You guys remember David Hirst? Quite a good striker.

unfancied, but effective.
those days, many unfancied but talented strikers.
I remember Matthew Le Tissier too. ugly looking magician. lol.
then there is even Gary Bull from Wolves.

kenntona;808574 said:
How about Faustino Asprilla?

Asprilla didnt score many goals for newcastle, but he scored some beautiful ones and some where important, like the hattrick against Barca in the Champions League....
they called him Rubber Legs or something like that.

Asprilla was good at the preceding World Cup though...

Man City deserves to be BPL Champs..
When the going gets tough and pressure is on, like the game aga Man U and Newcast, they stepped up and won...championship material...

Im so disappointed with my Man U this season despite them getting more points n Rooney scoring heaps...
end of day...man to man...this Man U team is mediocre at best...Title is lost..even if we won this thru a freak result (QPR winning), so what?
Yaya, Silva, Augeuro, Tevez, Mario, Nasri, Hart and so on...they are just tooooooo good for Man U...

Please ship out....
1) Phil Jones (backed him in the beginning of the season given he is young at 20..but he has shown in the last few games, he lacks quality...cant pass nor cross...no tactical awareness...long short..no technical, physical nor tactical ability)
2) Evans...form player
3) Park..sad to say he seems sooo out of sorts...
4) Carrick...a little too late...finding form late...arriving in box too late...passing too late..
5) Big one...Rooney...no longer the player who burst into scene with so much hype and promise...nvr really delivered...goals...as a Eng striker...cant control pass nor shoot...only pure industry

Players required...creative creative flair players please...
this crop just cant measure up to City players...

Well I give credit when due...with this bunch of jokers we managed second...all credit to SAF.
Valencia did well generally
Young sporadic
Nani too...

Bye bye wolves and Blackburn.......:thumbsup:

Final relegation slot between Bolton and QPR...... Come on QPR! :dance:

Niva;808827 said:
Please ship out....
1) Phil Jones (backed him in the beginning of the season given he is young at 20..but he has shown in the last few games, he lacks quality...cant pass nor cross...no tactical awareness...long short..no technical, physical nor tactical ability)
2) Evans...form player
3) Park..sad to say he seems sooo out of sorts...
4) Carrick...a little too late...finding form late...arriving in box too late...passing too late..
5) Big one...Rooney...no longer the player who burst into scene with so much hype and promise...nvr really delivered...goals...as a Eng striker...cant control pass nor shoot...only pure industry

Players required...creative creative flair players please...
this crop just cant measure up to City players...

Wah that's very harsh. Out of all the above I only agree with Park. The rest have potential and Rooney is the heart of SAF's formation...ship him out?

QPR is capable of big upset..no worries.watch out for Taarabt..

marklee;809125 said:
Wah that's very harsh. Out of all the above I only agree with Park. The rest have potential and Rooney is the heart of SAF's formation...ship him out?

to be honest not harsh at all...when is the last time Rooney scored a brilliant goal out of nothing..he is a predictable player...at this rate, he is just a slightly more skilled and mobile...Emile Heskey..closing defenders down up front..holding ball...Rooney is supposed to be explosive...just like how he came into limelight years ago..with an audacious strike aga Arsenal....where is that spark? Most pundits will not say he is crap...since all hold the BPL and British flag close to their hearts...but put him against top international players...seriously...he is not there even technically..look at the way he approached to strike the ball when put through by Carrick in the last game...got it totally wrong...make no mistake, Im a huge supporter of him but i think he thinks he is too big for the club and he is just no Man U quality...as much as i hate it..we need players like VPS, Drogba, Torres...real world class forwards...not a huff and puff running midfielder in a striker role...

Niva - the entire backline needs some rethinking, but perhaps Vidic, Smalling, and Jones deserve another chance. Need to shore up the flanks.

Centre midfield is headache - imagine we had to rely on Scholes and Giggs to plug the gap. Here we need at least 2 defensive players and 2 creative players. Defensive mid, we almost has Hargreaves as a perfect replacement for Keane/Ince/Robson, but Carrick or Anderson are hardly good replacements. Best in the business now is Essien or Schweinsteiger. Hard to find the likes of Makalele or Guttuso. Attacking mid, Man Utd is reportedly getting Kagawa, or perhaps Gotze from Borussia Dortmund or Gourcuff from Lyons. Pogba is not tested. This area, Man City is blessed with so many midfielders - Toure, De Jong, Barry, Silva, Nasri, Johnson, Milner, not to mention Hargreaves.

Wingers we are blessed with Valencia. Nani and Young can fight for the left.

Strikers - Rooney, Welback and Hernandez. That's it? Berbatov is over. Man City has two pairs of strikers.

In short, we need to strengthen our squad, in depth and breadth.

Rooney is often working alone, unlike Aguero-Tevez pairing, or Cisse-Ba, or RVP with 5 midfielders playing close to him. Many times Rooney has to retrace back to the midfield to fetch.

In the old days, where Keane and Scholes dictate the midfield, Van Nistelrooy needs not do that.

Agreed on some points...Rooney doing alot more than he is required to..but that said, his technique has not improved or rather declined since he curbed his temper and changed his style o play to be more forward centric..he is 26...2 more years for him to improve heaps..if not, sad to say he is finished...just look at Ronaldo....even better than he was at Man U and he is 25-6 too...that is what im talking about...C Ronaldo is improving alot better than Rooney..considering they started abt the same time...

I like the Kawaga and Gotze..would be an immense addition to our squad...Valencia is phenomenal this season..Young for me, he is inconsistent...Nani too...we need consistent performers like Silva and Nasri...reliable personnel..

As I said, I will give credit to this squad for coming thus far...we lost Vidic and Fletcher whom I consider them key players...real leaders..carrick is sucky

Evans and Jones are crap...I prefer Smalling...Jones wasted numerous chances to put in a nice cross..half the time out....Rooney frustrated...and he crossed...he got it out too...WTH...no technique

IMHO Rooney is playing well for Man U. Just look at the BPL stats, 33 games - 26 goals. RVP is 37 games - 30 goals...and he is considered to be having a phenomenal season. Take Rooney away from Man U, and who can do better? Not many..

Don't have to be technically gifted to play well in the Premier League. Need to be tough and full of running which Rooney is. He finishes well when presented the chance.

Agree with Kenn that problem is in the midfield. You don't see him blasting in goals as regularly cause there's only so much one person can do.

Champions League Title: Chelsea or Bayern?
THoughts please

BT26;809327 said:
THoughts please

I think it's going to be a tight game...

However, Bayern has a slight advantage as they will be playing at home.

BT26;809327 said:
THoughts please

Bayern FTW.....:thumbsup:

Chelsea to miss out on Champions League next season.

i go for bayern

Bayern for the win !!! Chelsea's squad will be depleted.......

marklee;809296 said:
IMHO Rooney is playing well for Man U. Just look at the BPL stats, 33 games - 26 goals. RVP is 37 games - 30 goals...and he is considered to be having a phenomenal season. Take Rooney away from Man U, and who can do better? Not many..

Don't have to be technically gifted to play well in the Premier League. Need to be tough and full of running which Rooney is. He finishes well when presented the chance.

Agree with Kenn that problem is in the midfield. You don't see him blasting in goals as regularly cause there's only so much one person can do.

Not sure on that. He may have the goals...but seriously...anyone who plays for Man U will have more chances to score than those strikers in the bottom 10...and his goals are mainly from penalties and simple tap-ins..(no complaints) but his shooting technique outside the box or within the box is seriously v average..lets be frank...Defoe shooting is much better than Rooney's. More shots on target and good ones..not hopeful...

And do we really judge Rooney based on goals or the all-round play he was supposed to give Man U? He is supposed to be a forward like that o Henry..goals assists plus unpredictable explosiveness...now he is a confused figure...his overall games has dropped a few notches...do teams fear him when he is on the ball? Does he make good use of the ball? Is he able to create space for his team mates out of nth or for himself like VPS, Ronaldo, Tevez, Augeuro?

Lets be honest...these days when he is on the ball, we just hope, dont lose it.,..pass well..shoot well please...world class? not by a mile..dont buy into hype..judge for ourselves what we see on field...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbetis1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back